Looper

Started by MacGuffin, April 12, 2012, 08:19:21 PM

MacGuffin

Release date: Sept. 28, 2012

Starring: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis, Emily Blunt, Paul Dano

Directed by: Rian Johnson

Premise: A killer who works for the mob of the future recognizes one of his targets as his future self.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

read the scrip, it was fucked up.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Jeremy Blackman

Rian Johnson did direct the only bad Breaking Bad episode, but this still looks good.

We need a thread about the best time travel movies.

Alright I just started one: http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=12163.0

modage

Loved Brick, hated Bloom. Want this to be good. Most worrisome aspect so far is the makeup which I'm not sure if I'll be able to get over...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

The word from the early screening a few months ago is that this thing is really good.  I'm pretty excited.

I never got around to seeing Brothers Bloom since everyone seems to have hated it, but Jeremy's wrong about that Breaking Bad episode.  It was a really good one.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: RegularKarate on April 13, 2012, 10:34:05 AMbut Jeremy's wrong about that Breaking Bad episode.  It was a really good one.

The problem was mostly with the writing, so it's unfair to go on about it in this thread, but I will anyway. I guess I can understand why people liked the episode, but it didn't work for me at all. Mostly because of how it betrays Walter's character just for the sake of drama, exposition, and a little "fun" absurdity. He was not deranged enough or stupid enough that he would actually do what he does in that episode. It's silly and cartoonish, at the expense of this character who they're crafting so painstakingly. I stand by my opinion:

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on July 26, 2011, 09:47:36 AMI didn't like "Fly" at all. Everything about it was too heavy-handed for me; in fact I don't think it was minimalistic at all. I might have accepted the premise with better dialogue, but the writing was not good. Walter was out of character. I didn't believe his fly-chasing, and that broke the fourth wall because all I could see was what the writers were trying to do. It was boring and unsubtle, which is exactly the opposite of what you want from this show. "Fly" reminded me of the House episode One Day, One Room. Okay... that one's worse, but it's a very good corollary, in the way that it tries to philosophize through an intensely boring premise, relying on dialogue that turns out to be horrible, all the while bringing its chief protagonist out of character.

Robyn

Quote from: pete on April 12, 2012, 10:58:05 PM
read the scrip, it was fucked up.

In a good or bad way?

pete

I guess good way. a terrific and scary use of gore.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

72teeth

okay, that's the final pull i needed to be hooked.

peace out Looper thread, see you in October.
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

MacGuffin

International Trailer

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jonas

Reelviews/James Berardinelli posted his 4 Star review: http://www.reelviews.net/php_review_template.php?identifier=2526

He doesn't have many 4 Star rated films, so this makes me more amped to see the film (I was already very interested)
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

HeywoodRFloyd

Okay I saw this last night.
Looper is enjoyable, but I must say I did figure out the film's entire ending by the 40min mark, however that shouldn't undermine the quality of the story, it's got some real nice time-travel centric nuances.
It's a fun movie and pretty good for what it is. There are some narrative twists that I wasn't expecting, that surprised me and satisfied me at the same time. It's about 8.6 on IMDB right now, it should drop to a 7.7-7.9 mark and it'll be just right.
If I had to explain the film to anyone, I'd say it's Deja Vu meets Minority Report and then some.

There are some cheesy/corny bits, and some specific characters that facilitate that. That's probably my main reservation. But again, it's enjoyable, and ultimately a smart, human popcorn film.

polkablues

As the resident Rian Johnson fanboy around these parts, I can't wait.  I even like the Mountain Goats videos he's done.  The GODDAMN MOUNTAIN GOATS.  That's how committed a fan I am.
My house, my rules, my coffee

samsong

good gun violence, better when in it's in western mode, but not that good.  piper perabo nudity is underwhelming, even disturbing.   

HeywoodRFloyd

extremely flat chested.. wasn't expecting that at all.