Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Started by MacGuffin, December 10, 2009, 11:46:38 PM

MacGuffin

David O. Russell Kills 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies,' Heads to 'Old St. Louis' Instead
By Andrew Scott; Cinematical

It looks like there's a way to kill zombies after all.

Vulture is exclusively reporting that the big screen adaptation of 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies' is dead following director David O. Russell's decision to leave the project. The alleged reason for his exit? Scheduling conflicts with its would-be star, Natalie Portman.

With 'Zombies' out of the way, O. Russell is said to be moving forward with his next film, 'Old St. Louis,' starring Vince Vaughn as a traveling toy salesman who reconnects with his estranged daughter. The film was expected to co-star Scarlett Johansson as Vaughn's secretary-slash-lover, but Vulture says that the 'Iron Man 2' beauty is being forced to drop out due to -- yep, you guessed it -- scheduling conflicts.

The bright side in all of this scheduling mess? With an expedited start date, Vulture reports that 'Kick-Ass' kiddo Chloe Moretz will now have time to play Vaughn's teenage daughter, after previously passing on the role.

As O. Russell plans to meet moviegoers in 'St. Louis,' fans can look forward to his next movie, the boxing drama 'The Fighter,' which hits theaters on Dec. 10.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pas

Yeah obviously this isn't happening. I always thought Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was a novelty thing, like the actual "Pride and Prejudice" inside a funny cover.  :ponder:

Pubrick

yes. i hope this heralds the end of the zombie era.*

*except for the obligatory zombie foot-in-the-door feature by first time filmmakers, which is basically a rite of passage.
under the paving stones.

modage

** and The Walking Dead tv series coming Halloween only on AMC!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ravi

Quote from: P on October 07, 2010, 07:12:52 AM
yes. i hope this heralds the end of the zombie era.*

*except for the obligatory zombie foot-in-the-door feature by first time filmmakers, which is basically a rite of passage.

There's a "zombie walk" in my city in a few weeks.  This would be a good chance to off a large chunk of people still into zombies.  We should get the pirate and ninja people while we're at it.

MacGuffin

Mike White to helm 'Zombies'
Director takes over after Russell ankles Lionsgate pic
Source: Variety

Mike White has signed on to direct Lionsgate's "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies," based on the offbeat novel by Seth Grahame-Smith.

Project mixes Jane Austen's 1813 classic "Pride and Prejudice," with zombies. Story's set in an alternate version of 19th-century England that features deadly ancestors roaming the countryside amid the outbreak of a virus as Elizabeth Bennet and her sisters search for romance.

Austen was listed as the co-author with Grahame-Smith when the novel was published in April 2009 by Quirk Books.

David O. Russell had been attached to direct but ankled earlier this month.

Lionsgate acquired rights to "Zombies" last year. Project's also produced by Darko Entertainment.

White directed 2007's dark comedy "Year of the Dog" from his own script. His writing credits include "School of Rock" and "Orange County."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Pride, Prejudice and Zombies' Resurrected With Lily Collins and Director Burr Steers (EXCLUSIVE)
Source: Variety

Just like its main antagonists, "Pride Prejudice and Zombies" is a film that refuses to die, and looks like it may have risen again from the dead.

Burr Steers is on board to direct with Lily Collins in negotiations to star in the adaptation of Seth Grahame Smith's mash-up of the literary classic.

The book follows the tangled relationships between lovers from different social classes in 19th century England who are faced with a new challenge — an army of undead zombies. Collins would play the Elizabeth Bennet character.

Darko Entertainment and Panorama Media are producing with Panorama funding.

The project has been in development for some time, with David O. Russell eyed to direct, Natalie Portman starring and Lionsgate distributing. But the script took too long to develop the proper tone, leading to Russell and Portman exiting because of scheduling conflicts.

After those two left, the film never found its footing, though directors such as Mike White and Craig Gillespie were attached and eventually left.

The film was in the middle of development when another mash-up, "Cowboys and Aliens," came out and disappointed at the box office, and sources said that film's failure may have scared principals away from another pricey pic in a similar genre. But the hiring of Steers shows there is still a strong desire to make the film, especially given the ongoing  appeal of zombies.

Russell wrote the initial draft and it is unknown if further work will be done on it.

With a director locked in and a femme star lined up, the film seems to be finally getting closer to liftoff.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Is that really the new title? The double "and" is essential. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

MacGuffin

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on May 01, 2013, 09:14:18 PM
Is that really the new title? The double "and" is essential. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

I think it's a typo on Variety's part. They have 80 other things going and forgot to add it.

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Like scouring blogs to pick up exclusive scoops from.
My house, my rules, my coffee