TooL/A PERFECT CIRCLE

Started by NEON MERCURY, June 25, 2003, 10:17:49 PM

Sleuth

I keep telling you that you're wrong, I don't know why you are so persistent

Oh and I'm going to get the new APC definitely

the single Weak and Powerless is okay, a little too polished for my taste though
I like to hug dogs

RegularKarate

I was kind of feeling the same way about it... I'm gonna get it, sure, but I'm just not that excited about it.

Aenima = Tool's best album / Trem = liar

phil marlowe

i gotta agree with trem on this, lateralus is a masterpiece, ænima is close though.

what are your feeling about undertow? i was pretty unimpressed.

Sleuth

Undertow is pretty solid, I think.  I still listen to the first 3 a lot (though inferior they are to Lateralus)
I like to hug dogs

phil marlowe

i dunno, i heard undertow after i heard ænima and lateralus so i was expecting something really different than it was. maybe i should giiive it another try...

Sleuth

I figured that was the case.  It's sort of hard to do that since they've come such a long way
I like to hug dogs

RegularKarate

Yeah... I was into undertow for a looooong time, it's more Raw... but it's still the fucking shit... maybe my being pretty hardcore into Tool since then has something to do with my preferences too.  I know a lot of people who got into Aenima and then liked Lateralus, while us older fans seem to be more into Aenima (though some think they peaked at Undertow, but those people eat shit for breakfast).

This isn't one of those "I'm a bigger fan, so that's why I like this album" thing, it's just an observation.

BTW, I've downloaded some more of the new APC songs and I'm diggin them a lot... gotta get that fuckin' album... fo' shizzle.

Oh yeah, and they were giving it away on the radio today... had to be caller 10, I was 7... stupid radio.

NEON MERCURY

Thanks for the feedback guys....But i still think that lateralus is their finest work...the grudge is their "stairway" song IMO..its's damn near pefect...

i head also that lateralus is/was the LAST album Tool will do..is this true(anyone)?......(heard the band is doing solo projects..etc APV , and i heard that the drummer has something solo,in the works..he is a freaking bADSs)..

lastly, i heard that at best buy if you but the first one along w/ the new one you will get $5 off ..total purchase..so thats good news if you are like me and don't have the first one yet>....

Sleuth

It's definitely not the last.  They had new material they were working on after their most recent tour finished, it's just they are busy with side projects right now.  Danny the drummer has always been in side projects and Maynard is always lending his voice
I like to hug dogs

RegularKarate

Opiate has some great songs on it, but if you're not into Undertow, you certainly won't like it.  

I just finished downloading all but the last song for Thirteenth step  (which I don't feel bad about because the band said they were glad it leaked and I'm gonna buy it anyway) and it's fucking great... I think after a couple listens, I've decided I think it's better than Mer De Noms, which was good, but kind of petered off towards the second half.  This seems far more solid of an album.

also.. Aenima is the better album for a hundred reasons, but here's another: It's got more of the "fucking around" feel that Undertow has than Lateralus.
Also Maynard kills more in Aenima... Oh... and the lyrics are better...
and... okay... sorry.

Sleuth

How come he's constantly talking about fisting and shit in Aenima if it's got such great lyrics

8) win
I like to hug dogs

RegularKarate

If all you're hearing out of songs like StinkFist is fisting, then you're not listening.  That's one of the things about Aenima, lyrics are more layered.

I won a long time ago.

Sleuth

Of course it's layered but that doesn't mean he isn't talking about fisting and shit
I like to hug dogs

RegularKarate

Maynard has always been ass obsessed... if anything, that's what Lateralus is missing.

NEON MERCURY

i actually rank them in order of release opiate, undertow, aenima, and lateralus....

the band just get s better as they go along really!,. EVOLVE INTO A GREATER FORM OF MUSIC.(everything from music, lyrics, to singing , gets deeper ans more layered.)....it's odd b/c usually most bands are opposite....examples (just a few)

1.0  aerosmith
2.0  led zeppelin
3.0  rolling stones
4.0  red hot chili peppers
5.0  bon jovi   :wink: