Tom Cruise on Inside the Actor's Studio

Started by BrainSushi, January 11, 2004, 06:06:55 AM

Alethia

©brad

Quote from: ewardthat's james

oh, um... yeah, him too.

Gamblour.

Quote from: MacGuffin
Once again, I don't see what's wrong with it. Applause is a form of appreciation; of gratitude; of respect. You mean to tell me, you wouldn't clap if you were there? I think that's a terrible insult and rude to the 'artist'. And they did appreciate him attending the interview. It was shown through their applause. I'm sure some members were doing out of politeness when certain films were mentioned, but they are made up of students and their applause is the best way to show that they enjoyed a great performance and/or movie for whatever film was announced, and many were enthusiastic about certain films that obviously had an impact on themselves. I don't get how appreciation would be shown by clapping just at the beginning and the end of the show.

I understand why people clap, but my point is it isn't necessary. Obviously if you're at a Tom Cruise interview, you've seen his shit, you like his shit. My point is if it's an interview, let it be an interview and have the audience sit there and enjoy it. I watch to see and hear the thoughts of Tom Cruise, not a bunch of students try to jerk him off with their applause. The whole interview was shallow, it didn't dig deep at all, I could've come up with the questions and answers based on a simple understanding about Cruise's life and movies.

I understand that applause shows what movies the audiences like, but my point is I don't care what they like. They dedicated way too much time to the audience's applause. How many times can I say: I watch the show for Tom Cruise, not his fans. I'd rather watch a dry, dull, boring, sleep-inducing, yet incredibly honest, open, and insightful than the Actors' Studio's veritable circle-jerk.

I completely agree with P, most people applaud because they're just being phony as hell. I don't see how anyone can feel that 99% of applause is actually needed in any event.
WWPTAD?

MrBurgerKing

Here is another part of the interview I remember-

James Lipton: Matopher, where does that name originate from?
Tom Cruise: I couldn't tell you
James Lipton: It's Irish, right?
Tom Cruise: Yes, Irish, it originated in (yada yada yada)

I don't understand why he said 'I couldn't tell ya,' perhaps just a way to be cool. I also think James Lipton himself is a crazy man. What business has he to dig into another man's life, sucking all the facts out and spewing them on to the table. He also obsesses over award nominations, even if it's an MTV trophy. I have to say that those dead-pan, serious professor types in general rub me the wrong way with their attitudes. Maybe he's a nice man actually, I'm just bitter because I skipped lunch today.. I was planning on going to Burger King all weekend, but during luchtime something else suddenly came up. Now I'm sitting here at 4PM and I'm typing this, because I have to wait another two hours before it's dinner time and I can go and eat at Burger King.

SoNowThen

Quote from: Pdude, inside the actors studio is fucking weak, that's why ppl hate it.

the audience claps at everything because they're phony, they are there because the show is phony.

in theory ppl shouldn't clap to be phony. the worst offender is sumthing like The View, that get standing ovations when sumone shares a cooking recipe. but that's why these shows are generally accepted as suckful.

Speaking of the View, and people being phony, did anybody read the new Maxim magazine interview with Norm Macdonald? Fucking hilarious, if anybody can post it (probably in another thread...).
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Norm McDonald....

he's the guy who did Death's voice on Family Guy before Adam Carolla, right?
context, context, context.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Gambloren das ManhörenI understand why people clap, but my point is it isn't necessary. Obviously if you're at a Tom Cruise interview, you've seen his shit, you like his shit. My point is if it's an interview, let it be an interview and have the audience sit there and enjoy it. I watch to see and hear the thoughts of Tom Cruise, not a bunch of students try to jerk him off with their applause. The whole interview was shallow, it didn't dig deep at all, I could've come up with the questions and answers based on a simple understanding about Cruise's life and movies.

I understand that applause shows what movies the audiences like, but my point is I don't care what they like. They dedicated way too much time to the audience's applause. How many times can I say: I watch the show for Tom Cruise, not his fans. I'd rather watch a dry, dull, boring, sleep-inducing, yet incredibly honest, open, and insightful than the Actors' Studio's veritable circle-jerk.

I completely agree with P, most people applaud because they're just being phony as hell. I don't see how anyone can feel that 99% of applause is actually needed in any event.

So if you understand why people clap - because it is a form of appreciation and respect - how is that being phony if the sentiment is genuine? Like I said, I'm sure some where just being nice, but if you are there to see a performance, a concert, whatever, you will most likely be there because you want to be and like the 'artist', etc.

You could say kisses and hugs aren't necessary, granted it's for more personal and initimate situations with people, but that's a form of love and appreciation and respect, same much like applause.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

So if you understand why people clap - because it is a form of appreciation and respect - how is that being phony if the sentiment is genuine? Like I aid, I'm sure some where just being nice, but if you are there to see a performance, a concert, whatever, you will most likely be there because you want to be and like the 'artist', etc.

You could say kisses and hugs aren't necessary, granted it's for more personal and initimate situations with people, but that's a form of love and appreciation and respect, same much like applause.

MacGuffin made his first mistake ever!

SoNowThen

Someone redirect him to an online dictionary...

:wink: Just kidding, Mac!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

yeah, deep inside, all of us want to have the Encyclopedical knowdlege of da Mac.

Finn

I think this is one of the best Inside the Actor's Studios I've ever seen. He's such a great actor and he has plenty of experience and intellegence.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

MacGuffin

Quote from: chuckhimselfoMacGuffin made his first mistake ever!

Actually 82 was pretty adamant about pointing out my typos (at the bottom):
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=4017&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=285
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Fernando

Quote from: MrBurgerKing

I also think James Lipton himself is a crazy man. What business has he to dig into another man's life, sucking all the facts out and spewing them on to the table.

Athough sometimes could be interesting to hear someone's background, yesterday I was bored to tears, who cares if his grand grand grand father came in the 1800's?

Quote from: MrBurgerKing
He also obsesses over award nominations, even if it's an MTV trophy. I have to say that those dead-pan, serious professor types in general rub me the wrong way with their attitudes.

God does he?! I find that part almost unbearable, some awards are certainly good and everything but the Mtv's? What's that suppossed to be, some kind of sick joke?

Sometimes I feel Lipton doesn't make the interviews to cinephiles but lately to the general public, I'd love to know what kind of audience sees that show, and I don't think the average moviegoer does (with Cruise as guest that could be an exception though), the people that sees him are those who care about films and the process that takes to make them, anyway my point is, wouldn't you prefer to have questions regarding the filmmakers process of guys like Kubrick, PTA, Scorsese, Crowe, Spielberg, etc.?

I mean really, how much time did he give to EWS? The frigging shoot was for about 14-15 months, I'm positive he can find plenty of interesting information or good questions about the filmmaking process of the greatest filmmaker of all time!!!

Quote from: ©bradhe called PTA PTA! hah.

:twisted:  8)

Gamblour.

So if you understand why people clap - because it is a form of appreciation and respect - how is that being phony if the sentiment is genuine? Like I said, I'm sure some where just being nice, but if you are there to see a performance, a concert, whatever, you will most likely be there because you want to be and like the 'artist', etc.

Have you ever watched a comedian? How many times does the audience clap at those moments when you're like "Why are they clapping? That wasn't very funny" Like EVERYTIME a goddamn standup is like "So yeah, I just got married" or "I've got three kids" or whatever phrase about his family or whatever. Or when they make a reference to a previous joke or some current hot topic, the audience claps because they think they're supposed to assure the comedian that they're paying attention.

Likewise, with the Cruise interview, I quit believing that the audience was applauding out of appreciation but had started clapping because they had clapped for every other film he named. There became that obligation to clap, otherwise it'd feel weird to not clap for a movie, it'd be awkward. I'd much rather have had the interview be like a string concert, saving the applause to the end, but it's not like that, so I'll never watch the show again.

To compare to hugs and kisses, your friends over, he/she goes "Hey I just went to the store and got some cookies." Do you say, "COOKIES?!? I love cookies!" and then proceed to hug and kiss them? Well that's how I feel about audiences, I don't give random hugs and kisses to my friends in the middle of a conversation, unless something bad happened.
WWPTAD?

Gamblour.

Quote from: Fernando
Sometimes I feel Lipton doesn't make the interviews to cinephiles but lately to the general public, I'd love to know what kind of audience sees that show, and I don't think the average moviegoer does (with Cruise as guest that could be an exception though), the people that sees him are those who care about films and the process that takes to make them, anyway my point is, wouldn't you prefer to have questions regarding the filmmakers process of guys like Kubrick, PTA, Scorsese, Crowe, Spielberg, etc.?

I totally think that's the only reason the interview was as surface-level as possible, because it's Tom Cruise, and not everyone's gonna understand filmmaking. I guess Bravo's trying to up their ratings by dumbing down their programming.
WWPTAD?