The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

Reel

Quote from: S.R. on June 25, 2011, 02:20:48 AM
It's like hoping There Will Be Blood was going to teach you how to drill oil.

it did!

Stefen

You probably bought a bad ass stereo after watching Boogie Nights.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

But it was the highest quality fidelity.
My house, my rules, my coffee

mogwai

Quote from: Reelist on June 25, 2011, 02:13:14 AM
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on June 25, 2011, 12:14:46 AM
http://www.xenu.net/

F that
Quote from: Pubrick on June 24, 2011, 11:13:13 PM
Quote from: Reelist on June 24, 2011, 04:33:29 AM
I don't get scientology, I'm looking forward to having this movie spell it out for me.

Read the wikipedia page because this film will not teach you anything about Scientology.

and how do you know?

Too much to read, eh?

P Heat

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on June 25, 2011, 12:14:46 AM
http://www.xenu.net/

just skimming through this, it further proves The Church of Scientology makes as much sense as The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I'm glad P.T isn't taking shit from them and making this film he wants to do.

Christian what the hell is the name of the girl in your avatar. she's gorgeous.
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

Pubrick

Quote from: Reelist on June 25, 2011, 02:13:14 AM
and how do you know?

You're an idiot if you think this film is going to "spell out" scientology. A true bona fide fucking idiot.

Have you never heard of a film having parallels to real life events or characters without being a textbook biography or documentary about the topic? Did you see boogie nights as being an expose about the life of John C Holmes?

If you want to learn about scientology apply a very small amount of effort and do some basic research, you're just severely misguided and will only be disappointed if you think this movie is a play by play analysis of scientology. It just has a main character that shows some parallels.

Have you even seen a PTA film before?
under the paving stones.

cronopio 2

the new yorker had a really good article about paul haggis' ostracization from the church:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/14/110214fa_fact_wright

Find Your Magali

This book, coming out early next month, is going to put a bigger dent in scientology than PTA's film:

http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Scientology-Americas-Secretive-Religion/dp/0618883029/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1309024768&sr=1-1

I like S.R.'s comment about learning how to drill for oil.

Jeremy Blackman

Actually with CMBB, as Pubrick has pointed out, the trouble was that people were half expecting or hoping that it would be a thinly veiled Bush reference.

CMBB actually did offer some real insights into the oil drilling business.

Reel

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on June 25, 2011, 01:30:48 PM

hell yeah it did! and just as I know barely anything about Scientology except that it's members are fucking loopy, I will obviously come out of this film having learned a lot more.

Ordet

this film will show us how cults are born, how powerful they can become and the mind it takes to create massive brainwashing, it's a character study like all pta films. in the end the aim of every cult is the same just with different means of achieving their goal of money, power and control. any cult/religion is a business yet so many people believe that religion and faith are the same thing. faith is personal, you don't need to attend any congregation and give your money to have faith, religion and cults do ask for that. give us your money and we will control you. pta shows us the big picture through intimate character driven films, the story doesn't end with scientology it's so much more and it all starts within. the scenes between psh and jp will be mind-blowing. just think about it, pta is known for bringing out the best in actors plus just the fact that this will be psh first starring role with pta. i think it will be something no one has ever seen in terms of acting. psh performance will be monumental along the lines of ddl in cmbb. 
were spinning

72teeth

:multi::onfire::multi::onfire: YAHOOO!!!! :onfire::multi::onfire::multi: :rofl:

Ordet just gave me a big boner! I now offically cannot wait fo dis shit!
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Stefen

Quote from: Ordet on June 25, 2011, 02:56:52 PM
it's a character study like all pta films.

:yabbse-thumbup:

Exactly. It will be about people. Anything you learn about gambling, fucking, drilling oil or Scientology from them is shit you should have already known before you saw them.

You got me mad stoked to see PSH and JP square off. That's going to be epic.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Reelist on June 25, 2011, 01:47:27 PM
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on June 25, 2011, 01:30:48 PM

hell yeah it did! and just as I know barely anything about Scientology except that it's members are fucking loopy, I will obviously come out of this film having learned a lot more.

No, this is the analogy: You will learn a lot about a somewhat Scientology-like fictional religion.

Also, What Ordet said.

P Heat

Quote from: cronopio 2 on June 25, 2011, 10:17:47 AM
the new yorker had a really good article about paul haggis' ostracization from the church:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/14/110214fa_fact_wright

Wow this article is well done. You can probably make a Scientology based movie about all of its info and Paul Haggis. The Brando and Travolta part was pretty funny. P.T was probably approached to join the church at some time and obviously declined but, found what there doing interesting , and the incident with Jeremy Blake didn't help neither.

QuoteHe staffed the ships with volunteers, many of them teen-agers, who called themselves the Sea Organization. Hubbard and his followers cruised the Mediterranean searching for loot he had stored in previous lifetimes.

:shock: :shock: :ponder: :ponder: LOL
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P