The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

Stefen

Quote from: modage on June 09, 2011, 03:33:43 PM
Clicky: http://bit.ly/ipZvtV

Interesting.

Youth Without Youth and Tetro were gorgeous looking.

I already miss Elswit, tho.  :yabbse-sad:

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Fernando

why not writing the name? its not like you're giving away the ending, anyway:

Mihai Malaimare Jr. Is Shooting 'The Master'; 65mm Will Be Used

I like the 65mm part. havent seen anything by malaimare.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

What a great YouTube video accompanying the news.  Mihai Malaimare seems like a real deal cinematographer.  And he's Romanian!  Another potential gem in the crown of the Romanian New Wave.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," BolaƱo says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

P Heat

Wow i remember reading that anonymous comment a while back and literally watched tetro to see his work. putting the descent movie aside, the cinematography of it was excellent.

I need to see what he can do with color though and apparently he worked on Coppola's new film as well.  Also he kinda looks related to P.T lol
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

Pozer

Quote from: S.R. on June 09, 2011, 03:37:06 PM
I already miss Elswit, tho.  :yabbse-sad:

i'll miss him too but this guy is pretty masterful. i loved the look of both Youf w/out Youf and Tets. especially the latter. that lil video clip somehow speaks to me that him and PTA will do good paired together. and we always thought it'd be interesting to see what another DP would do with his films.

i wonder if poor Elswit is bored with all these action flicks he's been lensing, bummed ol PT didnt invite him back (if that was the case) to break the monotony. him and Jon Brion sobbing together over a couple of beers.

anyone want a smores?

Stefen

Quote from: Pozer on June 09, 2011, 04:22:40 PM
anyone want a smores?

Let's use Mihai MALOMARES Jr. instead!

Was that joke too much of a reach? Too obscure?  :oops:

Ah, go to hell. All of you. I'll be passed out drunk in the woods somewhere soon.  :drool:
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

john

Given PTA's track record of scrapping initial footage, or entire subplots altogether, it'll be interesting to see how much of these first weeks of production really influence the final project. Stuff like that (potentially spoilerish) set report last week, might not even end up in the film at all. Add to that the fact that he's working with a new DP, and I'm curious how much of this initial shoot we may never get to see.

Can't wait to see what a PTA film minus Elswit looks like.

Though, I do hold the small - if unlikely - hope in Brion returning to score this film. His contributions to PTA's films only got better and better... not to mention monumentally better than the already exemplary score work he's done for other filmmakers
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: john on June 09, 2011, 05:43:32 PMHis contributions to PTA's films only got better and better... not to mention monumentally better than the already exemplary score work he's done for other filmmakers

I actually think the Magnolia score is Jon Brion's best work.

john

You know, I actually wouldn't contend with that assessment. You're right. "Masterful" can be a reductive word, but that is a masterful score.

Brion can occasionally lean on these light "pop" flourishes (that he is FUCKING GREAT at, I might add) but with Magnolia. It's a classic score that is beautifully constructed and, in that regard, is a pretty towering achievement.

Maybe the word I'm looking for isn't "better", but "adventurous". Their working relationship only seemed to grow from film to film.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

P Heat

The second video of Mihai Malaimare  is great :yabbse-grin:. definitely worthy to replace Elswit, he seems more creative and adventurous.  plus if P.T is still going to be using the 2001 65mm camera that will be awesome.
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.

polkablues

Quote from: S.R. on June 09, 2011, 05:29:12 PM
Quote from: Pozer on June 09, 2011, 04:22:40 PM
anyone want a smores?

Let's use Mihai MALOMARES Jr. instead!

Was that joke too much of a reach? Too obscure?  :oops:

Ah, go to hell. All of you. I'll be passed out drunk in the woods somewhere soon.  :drool:

I totally would have joined your cult if you had spelled Mallomars right.
My house, my rules, my coffee

socketlevel

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on June 09, 2011, 01:51:54 PM
Quote from: socketlevel on June 09, 2011, 01:37:29 PMInland Empire suffered from a lack of "no" men

What do you mean?

Sometimes autonomy isn't a great thing. It's good to have people who put you in check. just look at the new star wars, Lucas only had "yes" men around him. I think this problem applies to mainstream cinema as much as art house. Spike Jonze has had major input to keep charlie Kaufman's scripts a little more paletable. BJM and Adaptation both were way more out there before he put his fingers in it; imo for the better. I'm a strong believer that the more struggle you have with your art, different creative people discussing the material, and not one supreme dictator brings about better work.  Lynch needed someone to do that to ultimately cut down IE

So what's with the Elswit thing? Has there been any (semi)official reason for his departure?
the one last hit that spent you...

polkablues

My guess is that the schedule conflicts with his commitment to the new Bourne movie.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: socketlevel on June 10, 2011, 08:32:26 AMSometimes autonomy isn't a great thing. It's good to have people who put you in check. just look at the new star wars, Lucas only had "yes" men around him. I think this problem applies to mainstream cinema as much as art house. Spike Jonze has had major input to keep charlie Kaufman's scripts a little more paletable. BJM and Adaptation both were way more out there before he put his fingers in it; imo for the better. I'm a strong believer that the more struggle you have with your art, different creative people discussing the material, and not one supreme dictator brings about better work.  Lynch needed someone to do that to ultimately cut down IE

Oh, I see what you mean. I completely disagree, though, and I'd like to see Lynch go even further than he did in Inland Empire.

P Heat

^^
Me too, but lynch is getting old and seems like no one wants to work with such a crazy old man especially after IE.