Grind House

Started by MacGuffin, May 26, 2005, 12:11:11 AM

Pubrick

Quote from: matt35mm on September 13, 2007, 09:48:10 PM
What is it with Asians and cheerleaders?

you can see their panties.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Pubrick on September 13, 2007, 10:09:04 PM

You mean, the panties your mother laid out for you?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

Quote from: MacGuffin on September 13, 2007, 11:07:30 PM
Quote from: Pubrick on September 13, 2007, 10:09:04 PM

You mean, the panties your mother laid out for you?

lol. i thought i was wasting my time clicking into this thread but that was funny.

MacGuffin

Grindhouse: Death Proof
$22.99   

AVAILABLE TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 18. BEST BUY BONUS STEEL BOOK COLLECTIBLE PACKAGING AND 30 MINUTE "MAKING OF" FEATURE.

*Date subject to change. New release offers begin Tuesday. All promotional prices good on regular editions unless noted. Limit 3 of each title per customer. No dealers.
On pack. Minimum 15 per store. No rainchecks.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

I noticed that, too. I'm wondering if it's worth $5 or so more for the packaging and a 30 min doc that may end up on youtube anyway.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

EDIT - Source: xixax.com

So does the extended edition of Death Proof work? Well, yes and no. It doesn't at all capture the fun Grindhouse experience by being separated, in fact the second gang of girls portion looks completely 'restored' like it was a 70's film cleaned up for a new release. I had a better reaction to the "dialogue" scenes this time around and didn't find the added scenes dragging the film. However, by adding those scenes, it felt like it took the excitement and terror away from the driving scenes and, thus, the awesomeness of Stuntman Mike that I was attracted to in the released version.

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

It took me far too long to realize that that was your own review, Mac, and not a posted review from elsewhere.

ElPandaRoyal

Sooooo, does anybody know if we (aka european motherfuckers) will get to see the whole Grindhouse experience on DVD or are the movies going to be released separately? So far, I've only seen "Death Proof", which I loved, and "Planet Terror" is coming out next month, and I think it will at least be quite entertaining, BUT... I wanted to have that Grindhouse experience without having to actually get up and change discs...
Si

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: MacGuffin on September 04, 2007, 01:29:06 PM

I think the actual question here is: why is this poster all in its native language and then it says "from the director of Kill Bill". I mean, if "Kill Bill" helps sell this movie, wouldn't it be smart to write it in a way that they could understand?
Si

Pubrick

Quote from: matt35mm on September 20, 2007, 07:19:13 PM
It took me far too long to realize that that was your own review, Mac, and not a posted review from elsewhere.

haha me too. that's just his style.
under the paving stones.

brockly

this has yet to come out in australia. i wasnt disappointed when i heard it was being split into two films, just meant i didnt have to sit through a shitty rodriguez movie to see tarantino's half. i went and downloaded the dvdrip of death proof a few days ago and i hated it. theres nothing to say really that hasnt already been said. most seem to agree that the second part up until the car chase sucked, which is true. the first half is ok, it actually feels like a grindhouse movie and the girls do a decent job. after the car crash and the fantastic scene with michael parks in the hospital i was hoping the movie would pick up and really start to deliver. instead we were given half an hour of shitty dialogue and bad acting. i hated these girls. the car chase was alright but it wasnt anywhere near enough of a pay off to save the movie after the scenes that preceded it. and i can't believe this was supposed to follow another 90 minute movie. if i had seen death proof as part of grindhouse it would have put me to sleep. huge disappointment after kill bill, which i loved.

MacGuffin

Death Proof crashes, burns at UK box office
Source: Guardian Unlimited

The Weinstein Company's controversial decision to split Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez's Grindhouse double bill in two failed to help Death Proof make much of a dent on the UK box office at the weekend.
Tarantino's half of the pair's B-movie tribute could only manage sixth place and a haul of £407,525 in a week which saw only one new entry in the top five - third-placed Adam Sandler comedy I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry.

Death Proof was also beaten by the top-placed Simon Pegg comedy, Run, Fat Boy, Run (£1.2m), Ian McEwan adaptation Atonement (£1.16m) and Seth Rogen comedy Superbad (£1.06m), all of which were previously released. It lost out on fifth place to the Matt Damon thriller the Bourne Ultimatum (£562,099), which has been out for a full six weeks.

Tarantino's film was severed from its twin, Rodriguez's Planet Terror, following Grindhouse's poor performance in the US. Harvey Weinstein, co-head of the Weinstein Company, reportedly made the decision to release the films separately at the international box office, no doubt surmising that a movie subtitled "The Fifth Film by Quentin Tarantino" had a better chance of success in cinemas.

The studio may also have been hoping for more support from British cinema-goers, who went to see Tarantino's first film, Reservoir Dogs, in decent numbers, something which could not be said for their US counterparts.

However, poor reviews and negative publicity surrounding Grindhouse's US release and its subsequent division appear to have cooled interest in the film.

The other big loser on the chart this week was the Angelina Jolie true-life tale A Mighty Heart, which failed to make the UK top 10 in its opening weekend.

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

Betcha the Weinsteins never release another movie in foreign markets after the Region 1 DVD (and torrent files inevitably made from it) is available.

pete

I seriously doubt that the torrents were the ones that did Death Proof in.
I dunno, to me this means that Tarantino might be a household name, but his name is still not bankable like Spielberg's is.  Not many directors are I guess.  But in the end, his filmmaking is still more marketable than his PR.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

tpfkabi

i'm definitely going to have to get the soundtrack.
i think of myself pretty knowledgeable about 60's music - even the lesser known stuff - but i had never heard of the long named band that pete townsend was almost in.

i've watched the major crash in slow mo a couple of times and noticed some 'errors.' i wondered if these were intentional - to go with the low budget recreation - or not.

when shaunna is flying through the air you see both shoes - then when it focuses on the driver you see a shoe in mid air (unless these are jungle julia's shoes that were in the floorboard since she was barefoot).

also, at the end when Mike's car is landing you hear the cheesiest male scream sound that i don't even think kurt russell could make. it also doesn't sound like his voice when he is taking pictures of the four girls in tenn.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.