Eyes Wide Shut

Started by Teddy, April 27, 2003, 09:46:02 PM

socketlevel

you guys are of course correct and i don't believe the international version is all that much better, it was just cool seeing it.  fucking weird to see it more importantly.  i'm curious why city tv had that print of the film.  UK uses 25 frames a second in film and video so getting a transfer that would be distributed to a NTSC television station boggles my mind.

and on a side note, the very nature of a site like xixax is to pontificate garbage about geek shit.  that's what everyone does and exactly what i'm doing (ie. in the favorite-dvd-of-all-time thread some guy posted his PTA music videos because it's a hard item to find not because it's the best film).  I'm bringing out the measuring tape because it's a penis length contest and in my own geek way i'm very proud of the fact that i saw this version of the film and most of you guys haven't.  you'd do the same.  it's the very reason we talk to eachother.  so don't tell me why it's not important, i already know it's not important.  i already realize i'm a pathetic geek, but i love it.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

Fernando

Found this review at amazon, I thought it was a riot.

Quote from: someone at amazon
***** Shut Wide Up!, January 2, 2004
Reviewer: A viewer from California  
All you stupid little "Cruise/Kidman" fans are the most pathetic, stupid, brainless creatures ever. This is not Jerry Maguire. This is not Days of Thunder. This is NOT Moulin Rouge, you stupid rednecks! This is art. This is film. This is cinema. TRUE cinema. I bet you morons all have You've Got Mail and every Freddie Prinze Jr. movie ever made sitting on your shelf. Oh how you smile with masturbatory glee when you look upon your commercialized Hollywood junk. Stay away from intelligent movies like Eyes Wide Shut. You brain-dead zombies obviously lack any sense of perspective and feeling. You Hollywood brainwashed ret@rds.

Finn

Very good review. I feel like saying that about most of the great movies I see because most people never seem to appreciate them. Finally somebody said it!
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

phil marlowe

yeah, i just love it when people review movies by shitting on other peoples comments and avoiding reviewing the movie itself. brilliant stuff, so insightfull.

molly

Quote from: FernandoFound this review at amazon, I thought it was a riot.

Quote from: someone at amazon
***** Shut Wide Up!, January 2, 2004
Reviewer: A viewer from California  
All you stupid little "Cruise/Kidman" fans are the most pathetic, stupid, brainless creatures ever. This is not Jerry Maguire. This is not Days of Thunder. This is NOT Moulin Rouge, you stupid rednecks! This is art. This is film. This is cinema. TRUE cinema. I bet you morons all have You've Got Mail and every Freddie Prinze Jr. movie ever made sitting on your shelf. Oh how you smile with masturbatory glee when you look upon your commercialized Hollywood junk. Stay away from intelligent movies like Eyes Wide Shut. You brain-dead zombies obviously lack any sense of perspective and feeling. You Hollywood brainwashed ret@rds.

wow
post-holiday fury

bonanzataz

so, i was watching blue velvet last night and kyle maclachlan's character is sitting on his bed and crying, thinking about the events that just unfolded. i'm saying to myself, where have i seen this before. then i remember. when tom cruise breaks down and tells his wife everything. it was at this moment where i realized that eyes wide shut is way to similar to blue velvet. i know that sk really liked lynch (eraserhead anyway) and i have a feeling that blue velvet heavily inspired many sections of eyes wide shut. at least, they are both cut from the same cloth (velvet?). they even have the same type of message when all is said and done. what do you all think?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Finn

I thought the scene in EWS was a lot more powerful than the scene in Blue Velvet (which is still a very good scene). But I think they are similar in the way that they have a lot of mystery to them and you may have to go back and watch them repeatedly. Otherwise, I don't see anymore similarity between the two.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

SHAFTR

so after a very strange experience in my Spanish 2 class in High School with a substitute teacher and Eyes Wide Shut playing (in English)...where I only got to see 90 minutes of the film, i finally...4 years later saw the film in it's entirity.

Somethings I must admit.  I'm not much of Kubrick fan, and I've been vocal about it.  I have to say I really, really enjoyed this film and it means that I'm going to have to give all his films another viewing (starting with A Clockwork Orange).  I have only one problem with EWS and it's something that always bothers me in films.  When some kind of external force acts on the characters (alcohol, drugs, i'm going to die in this plane/car crash) makes them tell their secrets & spill their guts.  I think it's poor writing.  

Obviously I'm referring to the pot scene in EWS.  Cinematically though, the scene is perfect.  Look for more of my thoughts on Kubrick films as I am about to give them additional viewings.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

cine

Quote from: SHAFTRWhen some kind of external force acts on the characters (alcohol, drugs, i'm going to die in this plane/car crash) makes them tell their secrets & spill their guts.  I think it's poor writing.  
Obviously I'm referring to the pot scene in EWS.  Cinematically though, the scene is perfect.
It's cinematically perfect because it's a very human scene, which is why I don't find it to be poor writing at all. Just my take though. Glad you enjoyed the film. If you're revisiting all of Kubrick's films, start from the beginning with his earliest classic, Paths of Glory.

modage

Quote from: CinephileIf you're revisiting all of Kubrick's films, start from the beginning with....
The Killing!  it may be just a film noirish heist movie, but goddamn is it just great.  maybe not a classic on par with some of his others but i think definitely worth checking out if you've never seen it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

Ravi

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html

4/23/04

First up... some interesting Kubrick information. It seems that Warner Bros. might have changed their minds about releasing the director's last film, Eyes Wide Shut, in its original uncut version. Bits reader Josh L. e-mailed us last night with the following:

Tonight I was fortunate enough to see Leon Vitali in person at a special screening of Barry Lyndon at the University of Colorado. In his discussion, Mr. Vitali revealed that Warner Bros. is planning to release the uncensored international version of Eyes Wide Shut here in the States, sometime next year. Not sure if this was already officially announced or not.

Very cool news if true. We'll definitely look into this. Thanks, Josh! By the way, click here to read an archived interview we did with Leon Vitali in May of 2001.

ono

Just when I thought it was finally safe to buy Eyes Wide Shut.  Grr.

Finn

LOL, it'll never be safe to buy any dvd's anymore.

mutinyco

Quote from: SHAFTRI have only one problem with EWS and it's something that always bothers me in films.  When some kind of external force acts on the characters (alcohol, drugs, i'm going to die in this plane/car crash) makes them tell their secrets & spill their guts.  I think it's poor writing.  

Obviously I'm referring to the pot scene in EWS.  Cinematically though, the scene is perfect.  Look for more of my thoughts on Kubrick films as I am about to give them additional viewings.

Notice the repeating uses of alcohol/coffee when lies/sobering truths are revealed.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe