Eyes Wide Shut

Started by Teddy, April 27, 2003, 09:46:02 PM

sexterossa

Quote from: SoNowThenWanna hear something absolutely evil? My directing teacher in film school said "Eyes Wide Shut was terrible. It's probably the reason Kubrick died". I had to hold back from slitting his throat then and there. And to think, this ass made the film Rupert's Land. I wish colon cancer on him.

what film school do you go to and how is it?
I dream of birds and sometimes they land and burst into flames. And I dream my teeth are rotting. And when I am awake, I dream of you.

Teddy

You're professor is a jackass.  Who the fuck would say that about EYES WIDE SHUT?  But to go further than that, he said it was the reason Kurick died, so he's not only insulting his final masterpiece, which was enough to castrate him with a rusty spoon, he is insulting Kubrick himself.  Does he like any of Kubrick's stuff?  I'm thinking he doesn't.  He probably went to see DADDY DAY CARE on opening night.  Jackass.
"I saved Latin.  What did you ever do?"

MacGuffin

Quote from: KeenerI finally got around to watching the copy of Eyes Wide Shut I downloaded.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Quote from: TeddyYou're professor is a jackass.  Who the fuck would say that about EYES WIDE SHUT?  But to go further than that, he said it was the reason Kurick died, so he's not only insulting his final masterpiece, which was enough to castrate him with a rusty spoon, he is insulting Kubrick himself.  Does he like any of Kubrick's stuff?  I'm thinking he doesn't.  He probably went to see DADDY DAY CARE on opening night.  Jackass.

Like I said, he directed Rupert's Land. Just watch that and you'll see exactly what kind of guy he is. Don't worry, everybody. I got all those stupid teachers back at the end of the year. I made a film for my final project that was such a big "fuck you" to all of them, they almost didn't let me screen it. Man, they were dolts. Said Boys Don't Cry was far superior to Magnolia. That's probably why their only claim to fame is working on Beachcombers. Weak. I wanted to burn the place down. It was the Vancouver Film School, btw.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

aclockworkjj

I think with all of his movies there is always this underlying exaggeration of some sort of emotion/feeling.....here it being sex.  If you look at Orange it's sex in it's bad form, here....it's sex in a form that is not really looked down opon, a more acceptable thing...sure, maybe not all are into orgies, but everyone there was...I liked how it looked at the sexual distractions that are probably found in more places and relationships than most of us would like to admit...

Cecil

maybe. at the end of clockwork people are dressed in period costumes and barry lyndon followed.

mutinyco

Anything you could possibly want to know about Eyes Wide Shut can be found in the topic EWS, or click the link below:

http://movienavigator.org/eyeswideshut.htm
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Pastor Parsley

I love EWS.....no matter how many times I watch it, it gets better every time.

I notice that several times in the film Nicole Kidman talks very slow, in a broken sort of way....it seems awkward..almost like bad acting (it's obviously on purpose).  The scene when she is dancing with the gentleman, and in the argument bedroom scene when she asks whether he f*cked the two girls she saw him with.  "....so....did.....you....fuuuck..them?"  I was wondering, why do you think Kubrick had her do it that way.  At first I though that it was because she was drunk and then stoned....but it isn't realistic and Kubrick obviously did it for some reason.

mutinyco

I don't think it was done for symbolic reasons, necessarily. If you just relax and watch the movie -- not trying to analyze it -- her rhythms create a lulling sensation. And it's shortly after that that Bill's journey begins.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

modage

wow, i just re-watched this for the first time in a few years, and god damn is it good.  my girlfriend says its her favorite kubrick flick.  and we're having a little kubrick-a-thon now and going through some of our favorites (2001, clockwork, shining, fullmetaljacket, ews) so i'll have to get through the rest to see where it places on mine.  but, goddamn is it good.  i can still remember seeing this thing opening night, a late show, and walking out of the theatre in a total daze.  totally feeling dirty, like i just wanted it to be daytime and see some normal people.  it still has that effect.  and we watched the trailers before the film.  they are so incredible.  they could never exist today.  the 30 sec tv spots, WOULD NEVER BE MADE TODAY.  never, for any studio film, or probably any film paying for a 30 sec tv spot. they are so good, and contain no dialogue and the only narration is "eyes wide shut".   so good.  the colors were fantastic.  i didnt remember it looking as great as it does.  the reds and the blues running through the whole movie.  every fucking frame could be hanging in a museum.  it was only 4 years ago, but it just seems like we are living in a totally different time.  we are already so far removed from a world with kubrick in it, its hard to imagine a movie like this coming out today.  love this movie.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: themodernage02i didnt remember it looking as great as it does.

I know what you mean...I own this DVD too, and I don't watch it as much as I would like, but when I do.....it's the colors, and lighting that stand out more than anything else imanimate....

Jensen Briggs

My intrepid first post, baby.

Being new to the film world, and having just read a Kubrick biography, I have endeavored on my own personal conquest to sit through his films.  In the past I was put off by the artsy type, and I still uphold that Kubrick is horrible with plot progression, but his ingenious cinematics seem to make up for it (the biography stated that Kubrick began as a photographer, which, of course, accounts for this).

Tonight I saw Dr. Strangelove.  
Following that, Eyes Wide Shut.  My observations:

Have you all noticed the Christmas lights?  They are constant, as equally prevalent as the confetti in American Psycho.  Everything relating to sexual extremes is adorned with gaudy lights, playing into the dream theme.
Black and red are also prevalent, and later, the light blue of early morn.  Normally I hate overindulging in symbolism and themes, and choose to ignore them if a director is lacing his work with these dual arrogancies, but in Kubrick's case, you just can't help it.  He lays his would-be subtleties out on the table, thereby only creating more subtleties.  Genius, man.

Alice's last dream, when Bill comes home to find her giggling...
Eerily reminscent of Adam and Eve.  Although, ever since East of Eden, I've always considered Eve as eve-il.  Har har.

Lastly, I noticed how, after the cult ordeal, Bill tries to reconnect with almost every character he came in contact with prior to going to the house.  Consequently, something drastic has occured within all of them and left them different.
He tries to find Nick (flown back to Seattle), he returns the costume (the father has his daughter turning tricks) he calls the daughter of his dead patient (she's already confessed her love), he goes to Domino the hooker's house (HIV infection), he seeks out Amanda's dead body (uh...dead), he speaks with his spectacle-toting friend from the party (who watched him at the orgy house).  There may be more.

I loved the slow pace.  A relief from these TV Generation ADD-addled money-shot abortions they call films.

I can't believe you read all that.  Kudos and whatnot.
fat people use more soap

©brad

kudos to u, and welcome. a good first post.

um... r u a chick?

Jensen Briggs

fat people use more soap

Cecil

Quote from: ©bradum... r u a chick?

you need to work on your pickup line