Eyes Wide Shut

Started by Teddy, April 27, 2003, 09:46:02 PM

Teddy

Let's discuss "Kubrick's haunting final masterpiece."
"I saved Latin.  What did you ever do?"

Gold Trumpet

Teddy

Great capsule review, rougerum.  I too love the movie's dreamlike quality and how Kubrick makes you wonder what is going on in the head of the seemingly normal guy you pass on the street at night.  You failed, however, to mention the cornerstone of the film: the outstanding performances of Nichol Kidman and Tom Cruise.  The stars are so magnetic, and fit so perfectly in the world Kubrick wants to create.  I believe this is truely one of the best performances of the two great actors respectively, and definately the best they have ever been on screen together.
"I saved Latin.  What did you ever do?"

Derek237

I really loved the acting, too. Not their best performances but still great. The best scene is their argument in the bedroom, which seems to last like 10 minutes. Great stuff.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Derek237I really loved the acting, too. Not their best performances but still great. The best scene is their argument in the bedroom, which seems to last like 10 minutes. Great stuff.

i actually think thats the most awkward scene in teh film -- parts of it are horrible -- but once kidman gets passed the "im stoned" facade, it's great -- cruise's face staring at her when she's telling him about her fantasies -- golden. tom cruise is damn good and that film -- i cant get enough of that film.
...your excuses are your own...

SoNowThen

Wanna hear something absolutely evil? My directing teacher in film school said "Eyes Wide Shut was terrible. It's probably the reason Kubrick died". I had to hold back from slitting his throat then and there. And to think, this ass made the film Rupert's Land. I wish colon cancer on him.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: SoNowThenWanna hear something absolutely evil? My directing teacher in film school said "Eyes Wide Shut was terrible. It's probably the reason Kubrick died". .

i hope that guy gets colon cancer, what an asshole -- you should have bitched him out -- the teacher of my  freshman year intro to film class said: there has not been a good american film made after 1980 and if anyone brings one up you will be ignored -- he was the biggest peice of shit. no one respected him because his opinions were so ignorant. thats why i hate many film school teachers -- they're elitist snobs who are jaded and pissed off becuase they dont have an ounce of originaltiy in their bones; so they make it their life work to criticize filmmakers and regergitate opinions of other critics. fucking bastard.
...your excuses are your own...

dufresne

i just watched Koyaanisqati today, and it reminded me of Eyes Wide Shut.  perhaps it's the chanting...
There are shadows in life, baby.

modage

the piano 'theme' from that movie is some of the creepiest and most suspense building music ive ever heard.  for some reason those few notes really affect me.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Quote from: themodernage02the piano 'theme' from that movie is some of the creepiest and most suspense building music ive ever heard.  for some reason those few notes really affect me.

Yes, Kubrick was always great with the music. Scorsese claims Kubrick revolutionized the way music was used in films... I think. Or was that someone else, in the box-set documentary? Someone said it, anyway, and I agree with them.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

©brad

nicole kidman continues to astound me with each viewing of this movie. some of the stuff she does...like okay, during the bedroom scene when they are arguing and whatnot and the phone rings for tommy telling him that guy just died, look at her reaction shot right after it- its like she's stunned but not really. I dunno, i'm not articulating this very well but its really great stuff. also, love the shot of her in the mirror during the first sex scene when she takes off her glasses.

godardian

Quote from: cbrad4dnicole kidman continues to astound me with each viewing of this movie. some of the stuff she does...like okay, during the bedroom scene when they are arguing and whatnot and the phone rings for tommy telling him that guy just died, look at her reaction shot right after it- its like she's stunned but not really. I dunno, i'm not articulating this very well but its really great stuff. also, love the shot of her in the mirror during the first sex scene when she takes off her glasses.

Yeah, even though Tom is onscreen much more than Nicole, he's something of a cipher for the film's themes... Nicole has "more to do." I think she's a terrific actress. Not always the best movies/roles, but she can really, really act.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Keener

I finally got around to watching the copy of Eyes Wide Shut I downloaded. I loved it ! I went in expecting a dissapointing last film from one of my favorite directors which would be an over-artsy autopsy of sexuality but I was rather pleased to see it as a semi-mainstream but brilliant thriller revolving around a deadly cult of sex fiends. It was a mesmerizing concept and had its share of genuine creepiness and late night fun.

On one hand, I was sad to see Kubrick do away with his trademark white sets and backgrounds but the gold and green gloom of the film sets the mood and justifies the absence of the white element.

When I get a job, The Stanley Kubrick Collection DVD box set is a high priority for me. What a great guy. RIP.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

Fernando

Quote from: KeenerI finally got around to watching the copy of Eyes Wide Shut I downloaded. I loved it ! I went in expecting a dissapointing last film from one of my favorite directors which would be an over-artsy autopsy of sexuality but I was rather pleased to see it as a semi-mainstream but brilliant thriller revolving around a deadly cult of sex fiends. It was a mesmerizing concept and had its share of genuine creepiness and late night fun.

On one hand, I was sad to see Kubrick do away with his trademark white sets and backgrounds but the gold and green gloom of the film sets the mood and justifies the absence of the white element.

When I get a job, The Stanley Kubrick Collection DVD box set is a high priority for me. What a great guy. RIP.

You might want to hold your buying of the DVD box set, Jan Harlan recently told in a Q&A that another collection with more extras is on the works. That would make it the third one.

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=es&lr=&ie=UTF-8&th=50eef43c41bb7daf

Keener

Sheesh...companies will do anything for money.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama