State of the XIXAX?

Started by The Ultimate Badass, June 09, 2017, 09:47:11 PM

The Ultimate Badass

Is this site, which I hold near and dear to my heart, dying, or is it just growing intrinsically more exclusive?

The posts have slowed to barely a trickle. What's up?

Jeremy Blackman

Of course more activity would be nice. But the frequency of posts right now is about the same as it was a year ago. If not slightly higher. There were 9 posts yesterday (Friday). Activity goes up and down depending on what movies or TV shows are out.

polkablues

Quote from: The Ultimate Badass on June 09, 2017, 09:47:11 PM
Is this site, which I hold near and dear to my heart, dying, or is it just growing intrinsically more exclusive?

The posts have slowed to barely a trickle. What's up?

You average eight posts a year.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

What do you mean, state? State of California?!

ono

People grow up.  I know I sure haven't.  And when it rains, something, something...

Reel

It's such a downer whenever people point out this place isn't as active as it once was, as if all of us hangers-on are losers for staying here when the site's clearly 'over'. There are so many more wildly popular options for your social media fix than there were in 2003, but I keep coming back because the people here know me much better than my facebook or twitter friends ever could. Maybe we didn't go to the same school or sleepover at each other's houses growing up, but we've found common ground in liking (or hating) the same things. I have never met a PTA fan in real life, the few friends and family aware of him only are because I shoved him down their throats as "the greatest of all time" on several occasions. It's nice to hangout somewhere that it's taken for granted that he's the best. "A fashion movie set in 1950's London? BRING IT ONNNNN!" Do you know how much of a hard sell that is for common folk under 57 years old? It's cool to have this niche little thing here, where we're buzzing about films the rest of the world has yet to understand, or maybe won't until years later. PTA hasn't needed any oscars yet to win his way into our hearts.

Gold Trumpet

During its heyday is when we all were much younger and could talk film film film all the time. I'm friends with many people here on Facebook and I'm at least glad a lot of those people (even if they don't post much on here - like I don't either), you can tell still they care about film to a deeper level than the casual fan ever would. Things change and things we thought we wouldn't push back to an exterior section of life, gets moved there. Like watching and writing about movies do. It's not ideal but if you don't have a career that allows the freedom to really consume all manners of film, it's hard. I keep wanting to force myself to write more about film. For a while, I got hooked on writing articles longer form but I haven't done that in a while. I should just return to xixax and front line all my opinions again so they can meet the oncoming fire of other people being able to dissect/trash them. I learned a lot from this site in developing opinions and thinking out arguments and I owe this website a lot. I owe this community a lot. I'm sure we all have some sense of gratitude for this site in some way. Regardless of what way, XIXAX will find a way to continue on.

But hey, even in its most popular days, people still complained about people not writing enough about movies, too.

The Ultimate Badass

Quote from: polkablues on June 10, 2017, 12:35:53 AM

You average eight posts a year.

yeah, I get it. Ask not what XIXAX can do for you -- ask what you can do for XIXAX.

I will try to post more. Honestly, the level of conversation here is so very high I hesitate to just chime in a lot of times. I don't want to lower the bar. Admittedly, I will post garbage when I've had a few, but if it makes you feel better, I feel bad about it the next day.

And Reelist, I definitely am not shitting on the site or its members. I truly love this place and the posts here. I have always attributed these quiet periods here to a lack of PTA movies, which has become more common. PTA is what brought me here too, but what really kept me here was high level of discussion of movies in general. But lately I'm thinking maybe the quietness is a result of there being just not very many exciting new movies being made these days. Personally, I haven't HAD to see a movie since I don't know when. The Witch maybe? Voyage Of Time?

Maybe the movies have finally been surpassed by TV as a medium. There isn't a single movie on my radar that I HAVE to see, but you bet your ass I'm watching the new Twin Peaks tomorrow night.

And Polka, this is two posts in two days. My post count is on course for a 4563% increase!

polkablues

That's basically the crux of it. We're all grownups with jobs and responsibilities and it's always easier not to post than to post. But when something really does capture our attentions, the discussions here can be second to none.

And of course, we always do ebb and flow with the PTA tide. Once there's something meaty for us to chew on from the new movie, that should wake up our appetites again.

Kal

When I saw that the IMDb message boards were finally shut down, it reminded me that there can still be justice in this crazy world, and that Xixax is amazing. And yes, wait until there are more public news about the newest PTA film and this place will be on fire again...

squints

To be on this site every day in that magical year for cinema 2007 was such a pleasure. I'm glad it's still around
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Something Spanish

I don't care how slow it gets, I still check for posts a few times a week. Xixax forever.

polkablues

©brad

^omg. Amazing.

Agree with consensus. I just don't watch many movies anymore. But I'm working to change that.