nine inch nails

Started by Sleuth, April 13, 2003, 12:14:43 PM

Gold Trumpet

Considering the Marilyn Manson thread is also popular right now here, I feel similiar vibes from both Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Manson with the exception I believe Nine Inch Nails are of true talents, but hindered in many ways by their outlook on life and look as a band that rides a lot on gimmickery or whatever. Unlike other better bands, I never could see Nine Inch Nails getting outside the darkness of music where many great bands seem to exist in any kind of music they want or feeling. Nine Inch Nails are a very good band, yes, but they always seem to serve a niche in one person's life when that person was into that kind of music but has since moved on and Nine Inch Nails really haven't moved on yet.

~rougerum

godardian

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetConsidering the Marilyn Manson thread is also popular right now here, I feel similiar vibes from both Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Manson with the exception I believe Nine Inch Nails are of true talents, but hindered in many ways by their outlook on life and look as a band that rides a lot on gimmickery or whatever. Unlike other better bands, I never could see Nine Inch Nails getting outside the darkness of music where many great bands seem to exist in any kind of music they want or feeling. Nine Inch Nails are a very good band, yes, but they always seem to serve a niche in one person's life when that person was into that kind of music but has since moved on and Nine Inch Nails really haven't moved on yet.

~rougerum

I agree. I also think that Reznor is much more talented musically than Manson, and he does try to do different directions, but it seems to almost always regress back to what Luke Haines calls "No, mummy, I won't clean up my room!" music, or something that "Evil" guy on Kids in the Hall would listen to.

That said, I absolutely adored Pretty Hate Machine and Downward Spiral when I was 16, and I still pull them out every once in a while and wax nostalgic. I also, however, feel grateful that I'm not so narcissistic and solipsistic as I was when I was more enthusiastic about them.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

mogwai

old news from http://www.theninhotline.net

Tuesday

Apparently the issue of Alternative Press with the year's most anticipated album (which is [sit down for this] Good Charlotte) has this to say about the NIN album:
NINE INCH NALS
TITLE: bleedthrough (NOTHING)
EXPECT IT: "Soon."

"The record explores loss and possible discovery of self," says Trent Reznor about the follow-up to 1999's The Fragile, "along with alternate layers of reality and perception set inside a nightmare you can't seem to wake up from; with lots of feedback." Reznor has enlisted Atticus Ross, Jerome Dillon, Leo Herrera, mix engineer Rich Costey and Rick Rubin to help mold bleedthrough, which will feature new songs such as "The Line Begins To Blur," "Everyday Is Exactly The Same" and "My Dead Friend." This time out, Reznor is introducing high-tech to low-life. "Computers, among other things, are ruining music these days," he says. "I hate the Pro Tooled sound of perfection and everything being 'fixed.' This record is most definitely 'un-fixed.'" And when it comes to touring behind the release, T. Rez is planning on reinventing the will. "It won't be the last tour over again. That person isn't here anymore." [JP] (as in Jason Pettigrew, probably)

Sunday

Here's a nice little write-up I stole from the nine inch nails forum at digital noise, as typed up by aronmorris.

...In the upcoming issue of Alternative Press Magazine (the 25 most anticipated artists of 2004) which hits stands the first week of December, one of the artists/albums covered is NIN. The report states the overall vibe and sound of the record and lists some of the people that are involved in the production such as Rick Rubin, Atticus Ross, and Leo Herrera. The official album title is "BLEEDTHROUGH."
There are three song titles also mentioned. Another point worth noting is that Trent is quoted as saying that he is fed up with the perfected quality of computer-produced music (specifically the use of ProTools software) and that this record was done with alternate methods. There is no specific release date mentioned.

Some people called bullshit on this, but it's been pointed out by several others that bleedthrough.net has been registered to Nothing since May of this year.

*update*
The song titles listed in the article are "MY DEAD FRIEND," "EVERYDAY IS EXACTLY THE SAME," and "THE LINE BEGINS TO BLUR." Subscribers to Alternative Press will receive this issue next week, and the issue should be on newstands the following week.

In addition, several people have written in to note that amongst the LeGuin quotes that appeared on July 4th (before the background colors, well, bled through) was this:

III. Time and causality paradoxes:

- retro-psychokinesis, or turning causality on its head
- precognition versus remote viewing "bleed-through": what does it tell us about the nature of time?
- the transactional interpretation and other "solutions" to the quantum puzzle
- Barbour, Deutch and the vision of a frozen masterpiece: if time is illusory, what is the meaning of action?

Sleuth

No more perfectionist Trent :)
I like to hug dogs

RegularKarate

I doubt this means he won't be a perfectionist about the album... I'm sure it will still be delayed for years.

Have you guys listened to the Still CD?  The second disk of the "and all that could have been" disk ...

I have a feeling this might be the direction he's headed, more of a dirty/unique sound... maybe not as simple as the stuff on AATCHB, but less digitalish

Sleuth

Those are like more or less unplugged songs, though, and I'm sure I read an article once about how when he was writing the Fragile, he first tried something like that.  I think he said it was just like piano and drums and such, but he didn't like it.
I like to hug dogs

RegularKarate

It's not unplugged though... I agree, it's as close to unplugged as he probably gets, but that's not what I meant anyway... I just meant that it's raw.

Instead of using a lot of computers to get the bizzare noises he gets there, he uses distortion and de-tunes the instruments and plays a few ambient recordings (rain, etc...)... the thing he futzes with the most computer wise is his own voice and really not that much... considering who he is.

like he said.... more analogue

I'm sure he's not giving up his precious computers, that's his best weapon, I just think he's going to go for a more raw sound.  Like he did with a lot of stuff on Downward Spiral... straws and bees and whatnot

edison

Nine Inch Nails are at work on their fourth album, Bleed Through, in Los Angeles. Trent Reznor and Co. hope to finish it by summer and release it later this year.
"It's more song-oriented [than 1999's The Fragile]," says NIN mastermind Reznor. "It's much more lean. It's going to be twelve good punches in the face -- no fillers, no instrumentals, just straight to the point."

Rick Rubin (Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Beastie Boys, Johnny Cash) is producing the record. "It's kind of a new vibe this time around," says Reznor. "Different people, different approach.

While Bleed may be more streamlined than its predecessors, namely the expansive concept records 1994's The Downward Spiral and The Fragile, it won't exactly be light fare. "It's a complicated concept record," Reznor says, "but reduced to just simple songs. It's not epic in its scope. It's minimal and a bit brutal."

NIN plan to hit the road in the next few months to preview the new material. "It's been forever since we played," Reznor says. "I'm reenergized right now, my life's in order, and I'm ready to combat the shitty music that's out right now."

from rolling stone.com

phil marlowe

sounds very anti fragile which is good cos as much as that album blew me away at first, it has pretty much sunk down to the bottom of my NIN list through time.

i'm sad that that tapeworm project didn't worj out though

mogwai

has anyone noticed that every nin album is released every fifth year?

1989 pretty hate machine
1994 the downward spiral
1999 the fragile
2004 bleed through

grand theft sparrow

THE FRAGILE is the MAGNOLIA of modern rock.  Discuss.

(Can't wait for Bleed Through.)

Sleuth

If "The Big Come Down" weren't on it, I might call it perfect
I like to hug dogs

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: SloyjIf "The Big Come Down" weren't on it, I might call it perfect

My gripe with it is "The Great Below", which is too much like "Hurt" for my taste.

smash

Quote from: hacksparrowTHE FRAGILE is the MAGNOLIA of modern rock.  Discuss.

While I do think its a great album, I don't think its by any means the musical equivalent of Magnolia.  Magnolia is a huge grandiose picture of complete epic scope and emotion.  The Fragile is a long album.  Its also a long album with more than a few 'filler' tracks.  Like I said, I enjoy the fragile, but...its no magnolia.

mogwai

Quote from: hacksparrowMy gripe with it is "The Great Below", which is too much like "Hurt" for my taste.
pffft!!!!!!!!!!!!!