www.ptanderson.info >> Shooting 65mm Without Elswit?

Started by bluejaytwist, July 18, 2005, 07:10:22 PM

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

hedwig

Pubrick

or i might be disturbed by the possibility of Rubber Johnny appearing at any second.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Quote from: bonanzataz on April 14, 2007, 11:55:51 AM
http://funnyordie.com/v1/landing.php

Will Ferrell cracks up the Net
The comic, with a home-made online skit, is the latest celeb to take the Lonelygirl15 route to (more) fame.
Source: Los Angeles Times

Last week, Will Ferrell became the latest "real" celebrity to star in a homemade-looking Internet video. "The Landlord" is a genuinely funny two-minute movie in which Ferrell plays a layabout who is accosted by his angry landlady. The catch: Pearl, the landlady, is played by a 2-year-old.

"I want my money!" she shrieks at Ferrell's character, then taunts him with a string of unprintable invectives.

Pearl's lines, including her explanation of why she needs the money so urgently — "I need to get my drink on" — are helpfully subtitled.

After being posted on a new video site called FunnyOrDie.com, "The Landlord" quickly went viral and had scored nearly 1.6 million views as of this writing, piling on tens of thousands more every hour.

The questions, too, came fast and furious: What was this new video site, with a direct line to Ferrell's Internet debut? Was FunnyOrDie.com an industry shill set up to generate buzz for an actor with a major picture out?

And who was the toddler whose parents let her wield a beer bottle and swear up a storm?

Reached by phone, writer-director Adam McKay, Ferrell's longtime friend and collaborator (most recently they did "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy" and "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby"), confessed to being behind the video and insisted there was no corporate entity involved. "It's just us," McKay said. "That's the fun — this isn't brought to you by GE or Viacom or whoever."

The video took about 45 minutes to make, McKay said. "Will and I were just screwing around and it was like, hey, that's a good idea, let's film that."

McKay plays Ferrell's friend in the short and is also the father of Pearl (it's her real name).

According to McKay, the production company he co-founded with Ferrell set up FunnyorDie.com so they'd have an easy, fun way to showcase their short-form ideas as well as a place less-established filmmakers could come to show off theirs.

They've already shot several other videos, some featuring Ferrell and some McKay. "We put up our funniest one first," he said.

As for his daughter playing the dissolute landlord, McKay said it was no big deal. "She's in that phase right now where you can repeat anything to her and she won't remember it."

Jeff Stern, chief executive of the industry-friendly Net video site the Daily Reel, said there were going to be a lot more of these kind of videos from celebrities, because it's a low-risk, high-reward venture. "It's easy to do, it's fast, you don't have to go through a two-year development process in order to put something funny out that will get to a lot of people," he said. "You put something up that's three minutes long. If it works, great, if it doesn't work, it'll be overwhelmed by other things that do."

Earlier this month, Alanis Morissette's career got a boost after she posted on her website a parody of the Black Eyed Peas' "My Humps" — the one where Fergie brags about how men buy her expensive gifts because they like her "humps" and "lovely little lumps."

Morissette's version keeps the lyrics of the original but replaces the song's pounding bass line with melancholy piano, poking fun at the song's gratuitousness. It has become YouTube.com's biggest hit this month, with more than 5 million views.

But are celebrity viral hits a corporate train wreck waiting to happen? Won't Hollywood's need for control of its content eventually bump up against the near-impossibility of controlling anything once it's online?

Stern says that Hollywood is freaked by the unpredictability of viral video but that for now there's only one way to ride.

"You put it up," said Stern, "and see what happens."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

sickfins

bask in the new and improved site.

www.cigarettesandredvines.com/news/

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: sickfins on September 16, 2007, 11:00:20 PM
bask in the new and improved site.

www.cigarettesandredvines.com/news/

Even though I really liked the older version, this looks very cool.
Si

Pubrick

sickkkkkkkk.

am i imagining this, or is there a really really subtle CMBB reference in the articles section?

amirightoramirightoramirightrightrightright?
under the paving stones.

md

"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

Sal

Cj wallis: you're obnoxious and self aggrandizing. You make pta fans look like assholes. My recommendation is to focus a little more on news and less on waxing your own car, to use the man's expression.

"the event was only marketed/announced through this site and the castro webpage, so it was wonderfully fulfilling to know that a small chunk of the site's audience was standing in front of me freezing their asses off."  then: "i breezed past the line and was allowed in before you. now that's not very nice is it? i saw a bunch of you eating red vines. i told myself it was because of the site for self-serving egotistical reasons."

bluejaytwist

sal;

let us all take a step back please for one moment:

the term 'breezed past' was poorly chosen/unintentionally condescending - you are correct (and i will change it) but the rest is all in the usual spirit of mock-bravado-as-self-deprecation i/we've used since fully taking over the site years ago.

the site *was* the only place that announced the screening so as the essentially the site's co-founder -- seeing the sites fanbase standing in the freezing cold was wonderful to see because it showed how much you/we all care about paul and his films. it has nothing to do about me. the red vines line is clearly intended/is a joke.

every single person that was at this screening has their own personal rant, stories, experience they've shared on this board and to friends and family elsewhere whatever. mine, through being a friend of paul's, is considerably different and is written as such. people are going to come to the site to read what my experience/review/thoughts are knowing that my experience was different than almost everyone's there, which makes it news.

i am sorry you had a negative reaction to it.

cjw

cigarettes & red vines - pt anderson definitive resource
http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com

fortyfps productions
http://www.fortyfps.com