Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...And Spring

Started by Ghostboy, May 11, 2004, 02:45:38 AM

Ghostboy

I just saw this tonight, and am compelled to start a thread about it; I'm sure it won't get much attention, but if it inspires anyone to go see this film, which I think is definitely the best I've seen so far this year, then it's worth it. If anyone's already seen it, what did you think of it?

My full review is here, but I'd strongly suggest going to see it without any preconceived notions. It'll blow you away.

brockly

ive been anxious to see this film since i came across a 4 page article about it in a magazine late last year (the photos and the title of the film drew my attention). but i have no idea when its coming out in Aus... anyone?

samsong

I was going to start a thread about a month ago, which was when I saw it, and while I don't share the same enthusiasm in singing its praise (I still think The Dreamers is the best film I've seen this year thus far) I absolutely loved this film.  Definitely a tone poem of the higest degree... I've always had a soft spot for the kind of poetic, moody cinema that Spring, Summer, Winter, Fall... and Spring is an example of.  The imagery in the film is as beautiful as it gets, static shots giving you more than enough time to indulge in the sumptuous visuals that are accentuated by one of the best and most fitting scores I've heard in a while.  I loved the narrative work; each season representing a different stages of life proved to be tremendously effective.  Before seeing it was expecting some heavy drama and endurance-challenging cinema but it turned out to be incredibly enjoyable and captivating, and in that sense I found the film completely hypnotic... beautifully so.  Spare and simple as the film may be it has more power than anything I've seen some time.  It reminded me a lot of Dreyer (the director of Schrader's Transcendental Three that I'm most familiar with) -- this is transcendental cinema at its finest... or as fine as it's going to get in contemporary cinema.  It's been compared to meditation (aptly so) and given its already Buddhist nature I'd most definitely say this "meditation" reaches Enlightenment.

Ghostboy, have you seen Kim Ki-Duk's The Isle?  I ask because I abhor that movie but was really surprised that the director of that piece of shit did Spring, Summer, Winter, Fall... and Spring.  I really want to see Samaria (aka Samartin Girl), the film Kim Ki-Duk won the Golden Bear for in Berlin.  Have you seen any other Korean films?  

By the way the region 3 DVD release of this film is excellent.

SHAFTR

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Just Withnail

Quote from: SHAFTR....all you have to do is call..

"Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...And Spring" ...all you have to do is ring.

Ghostboy

I never did see The Isle, although I wanted to, just to see how graphic the fishhooks in the vagina scene was. I missed it while it was in theaters, and haven't ever rented it. I was on the verge of going to pick it up last night, though, after leaving the theater....

mutinyco

So, is that the type of fish you keep and eat, or one you throw back?
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Pubrick

^wow, what a thread killer.

Quote from: GhostboyI'd strongly suggest going to see it without any preconceived notions. It'll blow you away.
i did that exact thing, and it did that exact thing.

the score is perfect. the whole thing is really sumthing u need an entire day for.

it's also sumthing i'd rather talk about than write about. so do bring it up if i ever see yas.
under the paving stones.

Gamblour.

Man, I can't do this film justice by talking about it. It seemed to go by surprisingly fast, which is ironic because it's incredibly slow. I could have easily found it boring, but it was so engaging. It's strange that it was so predictable, but I really wasn't bothered at all. It was so fucking beautiful. Again, I can't do it any justice by describing it. It must be felt and experienced.
WWPTAD?

dufresne

There are shadows in life, baby.

Lottery

SPOILERS

Liked it. Film took a suprising turn of events, but I really appreciated the second half. Knew from the beginning that it would have to do with the cyclical nature of life/man. That said, I did some reading up on it and found out about the idea of breaking free of the cycle with the reincarnation of the next Buddha. Loved the atmosphere and tone of the film.

jenkins

please tell me you're about to begin a kim ki-duk journey

Lottery

I'm thinking about it, I've got a couple of other directors to consider as well/others to get back to. Heard about this film/the director a long time ago, and my interest was raised again when the director won awards and stuff for Pieta.