The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Started by underdog, February 27, 2003, 10:14:59 AM

Alexandro

yes, the rings movies were not perfect (except two towers extended, that's some wild shit) but they had a lot of soul and too much going on in cinematic terms to just be dismissed. when someone says "but I hated them" I'm like "too bad, dude".

Gold Trumpet

It's an equal dismissal to just say they are valuable.

Alexandro

I don't get it. Do you want me to write a review here of those films? They've been argued to death, won 300 oscars, made 800 fortunes and displayed insane amounts of great work from every department that composes a film production, including great acting, memorable music, tremendous battle scenes, awesome cinematography, and so on. Before they were even made everyone said they were unfilmable, I mean really...the backlash is just because they were so successful, not because those films were actually, you know, bad.

Derek

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Gold Trumpet

No, not a call for an on-the-spot review. Just a general complaint of my own about how people feel able to get away from saying "why" if all they do is like something. Matters of taste appreciation have more leeway with getting with explaining yourself than being against a movie. Maybe written in the wrong manner by moi, but not a huge offense (I hope) so who gives a shit?

Derek

Maybe they are just good movies. It's a touch tiring having to explaining the why's of liking or not liking something. Kind of like showing the work behind the answers you had in schoolwork.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Derek on April 23, 2010, 04:21:42 PM
Maybe they are just good movies. It's a touch tiring having to explaining the why's of liking or not liking something. Kind of like showing the work behind the answers you had in schoolwork.

Lord of the Rings is more than just a "it was a good movie". A lot of times we do just like movies because they fancy themselves to our personalities in indescribable ways. Those are basic emotions for basic movies, but Lord of the Rings won Oscars and its fan base says the series is something more. I don't think people should be forced to say why the movie is great whenever mentioning it, but they should be able to explain how it is great when they do go on rants about its greatness where all they are doing is explaining the movie in adjectives that are similar to "great" or "fantastic". I know people who do that often so they should be held to some standards of explanation.

When people go on about a movie, they want what they are saying to seem important. Doing so should require some actual ideas about a movie.

Alexandro

I get it now. Still, you can't just act as if people being excited about another three rings movies directed by guillermo fucking del toro is some sort of sign of the decadence of western civilization because you think the films are not groundbreaking or something. Anyway, point taken.

MacGuffin

Guillermo del Toro Confirms Hobbit Delay
Source: ComingSoon

Speaking moments ago at a press conference for his latest production, Splice, Guillermo del Toro responded to questions about the state of The Hobbit, saying that the film does not have a start date, nor will it until MGM sorts out its financial troubles.

"It's not greenlit," said del Toro, "That's categorical... We've been caught in a very tangled negotiation... There cannot be any start dates until the MGM situation gets resolved. They do hold a considerable portion of the rights."

Responding to rumors that the film would shoot in 3D, del Toro said that, while 3D remains a possiblity, it has been discussed "literally once" in the production offices and it is not being planned at this time. The current production budget has been drawn without 3D in mind.

Admitting no predictable timeline for a start date, del Toro theorized one possible outcome that would see MGM sharing or selling off the rights. Nevertheless, he feels confident that the film will move forward as soon as a decision is made.

"We have designed all the creatures," he said, "We've designed the sets and the wardrobe. We have done animatics and planned battles sequences.... We are very, very prepared for when it is finally triggered."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Gold Trumpet

And Alexandro, just saw your reply. Way to overshoot what you think is my overreaction with a pretty good overreaction of your own and how much you actually think I care about all of this. What I said fell along the lines of annoyance. No reason to think I believe there is decadence in Western civilization or whatever.

Derek

Hmmmm....not completely unexpected. This MGM deal is stupid, gonna limit probably the amount of times Daniel Craig will be Bond. Would have been nice to see those Del Toro movies. Its too bad he spent a couple of years focusing on what probably amounts to production design for a franchise which has a lot of production design already established.

Pubrick

so he didn't wanna commit another three years when he's already spent three getting to this point?

this sounds like the dumbest decision ever. there will be no shortage of NON idiots looking to take up this job. it was a guarranteed GAZILLION dollars. what a fucking idiot. i guess he already has enuff money for all the twinky rolls he'll ever need in his life.. he just made someone else's career.

he better actually do something in the next three years or this was an utterly stupid decision, my suspicion is that the real reason is bigger than that.. maybe he slept with PJ's "girlfriend" or whatever, maybe she lost interest in old pete after he lost all that weight cos she had always been a chubby chaser. maybe guillermo took the wrong kind of mushrooms at one of philippa boyens' pagan ceremonies. actuallly that is DEFINITELY what must hav happened, he took the shrooms and at the peak of the biggest trip of his life met the terrible Cthulhu who told him to quit this hobbit crap and make that lovecraft film.

the next day del toro got up at the crack of dawn to tell PJ. he ran to jackson's house and found little pete tending to his garden while simultaneously having a video conference with spielbergo about tintin. del toro apologized first for his abrupt interruption at this early hour, and second for what he was about to get off his chest. PJ took the news calmly and, immediately, still kneeled over his oregano patch, called theonering.net founder Gaylord Nerdlinger to announce the news. Del toro felt a great weight lift off his shoulders and once PJ was done on the phone, got down and thanked him profusely for all he had done. meanwhile, inside the house, Fran Walsh neared a window to see what the commotion was on her front lawn... only to see Del Toro talking to a garden gnome.
under the paving stones.

picolas

Alexandro

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on May 30, 2010, 05:56:58 PM
And Alexandro, just saw your reply. Way to overshoot what you think is my overreaction with a pretty good overreaction of your own and how much you actually think I care about all of this. What I said fell along the lines of annoyance. No reason to think I believe there is decadence in Western civilization or whatever.

dude, I was joking.