War Of The Worlds

Started by MacGuffin, March 17, 2004, 01:02:10 AM

MacGuffin

Spielberg & Cruise Teaming on War of the Worlds!
Source: Variety

Steven Spielberg and Tom Cruise will bring The War of the Worlds to the big screen, with Cruise expected to star, reports Variety. David Koepp (Secret Window) will rewrite a Josh Friedman first-draft script based on the classic H.G. Wells alien-invasion novel.

Depending on how quickly a script is approved, the sci-fi epic could start filming in late 2005. Cruise and his C/W Productions partner Paula Wagner set up the film at Paramount in May 2002. DreamWorks will come aboard as a partner, now that Spielberg is involved, adds the trade.

Cruise and Wagner will produce, and it is likely Spielberg and DreamWorks Pictures co-heads Walter Parkes and Laurie MacDonald will be involved in that capacity as well.

"War" became permanently etched in American culture when Orson Welles' Mercury Theater performed the story on radio in 1938 and ignited a nationwide panic when listeners didn't realize it was fiction. H.G. Wells wrote the book in 1898.

Also, while Spielberg's plans for Indiana Jones 4 have stalled, he's now interested in The Rivals, the Robin Swicord-scripted drama centered on 19th-century legit stars Sarah Bernhardt and Eleonora Duse. That film seems likely for a winter start at DreamWorks. And C/W is preparing Mission: Impossible 3 for Paramount, to be helmed by Narc director Joe Carnahan. The third film is expected to go into production this summer, with Cruise to star.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

no effin' way!!!

but they could've adapted this play instead:

...or maybe it doesn't make any difference.

Just Withnail

Good news, but it doesn't clearly state that Spielberg is directing. Anything could happen. I'm betting on producer.

Ghostboy

He'll direct it. He and Cruise have been circling this since the Minority Report days.

modage

Quote from: mogwaino effin' way!!!
:!:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

mogwai

Pubrick

Quote from: mogwaiyes?
he's supporting ur reaction with an exclamation.

similar to the dramatic NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO in this thread.
under the paving stones.

phil marlowe

i'll say this will be very pretty awesome

Kal

This movie could be so great... and just hope they dont fuck it up like in Minority Report

cine

Quote from: andykThis movie could be so great... and just hope they dont fuck it up like in Minority Report
But they didn't fuck up Minority Report.....  :(

phil marlowe

nope, if this is going to be only half as good as minority report...

*satysfied*

modage

Quote from: phil marlowenope, if this is going to be only half as good as minority report...

*satysfied*
exactly.  if its even HALF as good ill love it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

mutinyco

Should be interesting. Spielberg has been doing more offbeat projects lately. It's like he's been doing more personal/art films, while everything from TLOTR to Harry Potter took epic film fantasy to another level -- both technically and in profit. This'll give Spielberg a reputable entrance back into that domain after this hiatus.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

El Duderino

this movie sounds great, i cant wait
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Alethia

but i thought spielberg aliens were nice?