The Passion Of The Christ

Started by MacGuffin, January 28, 2003, 01:49:48 AM

SoNowThen

worst comes to worst I figure we get the dvd and just turn the subtitles off...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

(kelvin)

Quote from: RegularKarateI will admit that I just think Gibson is a fuckin talentless goober and get a little upset by the amount of undeserved attention he gets.

The only thing this movie had going for it was the no subtitles thing... not that someone like Gibson could pull it off, but now it doesn't even have that.

Also, really, I don't like that review.  

I don't usually prejudge a movie this much, but I just really think this is gonna be a big pile of steaming dog shit.

I agree 100%.

I assume this movie will be aweful. Gibson is known for his religious fundamentalism. Someone should have told Mel that the Romans did not nail people onto the cross, they tied them to it, for the nails could never carry the weight of a human body.
But this looks like Braveheart in Palestine. I hated that film so much...with a passion, so to say.
About the Aramaic with no subtitles thing: isn't there already a film that is in Latin with no subtitles? Might be older.

SoNowThen

Quote from: chriskelvinSomeone should have told Mel that the Romans did not nail people onto the cross, they tied them to it, for the nails could never carry the weight of a human body.

Sometimes rope was used. But sometimes they used 7 1/2 inch spikes driven through the wrist and ankle bones. Those easily held a body onto a cross (which wasn't always in the shape of a "t" either, but sometimes an "x", etc). Lotsa good info on this and other stuff on the Last Temptation Of Christ dvd. They include some research sources that Scorsese used.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

(kelvin)

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: chriskelvinSomeone should have told Mel that the Romans did not nail people onto the cross, they tied them to it, for the nails could never carry the weight of a human body.

Sometimes rope was used. But sometimes they used 7 1/2 inch spikes driven through the wrist and ankle bones. Those easily held a body onto a cross (which wasn't always in the shape of a "t" either, but sometimes an "x", etc). Lotsa good info on this and other stuff on the Last Temptation Of Christ dvd. They include some research sources that Scorsese used.

I'll accept that version. :wink:

Pwaybloe

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanThe only thing that really interested me was the idea of Aramaic with no subtitles. If that's out, I can only look forward to a Jesus cartoon.

Really?  That's the only thing that interested you in this movie?  The only thing?

So what if they add subtitles back to the movie.  Again, the producers want people to go see it.  Marketing seems to be a foreign language to some of you.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Pawbloe
So what if they add subtitles back to the movie.

So now it will be a shit movie AND we'll be able to read the bad dialogue

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanThe only thing that really interested me was the idea of Aramaic with no subtitles. If that's out, I can only look forward to a Jesus cartoon.

Really?  That's the only thing that interested you in this movie?  The only thing?

Yes. I still think it's a brilliant idea, and if it really was Gibson's idea I'll even admit it was a genius idea and a profound statment, notwithstanding his offensive religious views and how inevitably crappy this movie is going to be.

godardian

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman

Yes. I still think it's a brilliant idea, and if it really was Gibson's idea I'll even admit it was a genius idea and a profound statment, notwithstanding his offensive religious views and how inevitably crappy this movie is going to be.

You know who would've been a better director than Gibson for this project?

Anyone.

Seriously, I would love to see Theo Angelopoulus, Terrence Davies, Alexandr Sokurov, Terence Malick, or Tom Tykwer- anyone who has, quite unlike Gibson, demonstrated an ability to project a sense of the sacred from the silver screen- give it a try.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Quote from: godardian
You know who would've been a better director than Gibson for this project?

Anyone.

Xixax quote of the week    :-D

Pwaybloe

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanYes. I still think it's a brilliant idea, and if it really was Gibson's idea I'll even admit it was a genius idea and a profound statment, notwithstanding his offensive religious views and how inevitably crappy this movie is going to be.

Well, apparently the idea was to have the movie in Aramic and Latin without subtitles.  And apparently it was the producers that pleaded with Gibson to add subtitles so they would have more than 2 people in the theater.  

So... I expect you to dust off your "Mel Gibson is the Coolest" t-shirt and proudly wear it around town before you get pummeled by your Commie friends, you damn Communist.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: PawbloeWell, apparently the idea was to have the movie in Aramic and Latin without subtitles.  And apparently it was the producers that pleaded with Gibson to add subtitles so they would have more than 2 people in the theater.

And Gibson buckled under the pressure and let his own genius idea disintegrate... right?

Quote from: Pawbloebefore you get pummeled by your Commie friends, you damn Communist.

Communists don't pummel.

godardian

Communists don't pummel.

Well, real Communists don't, anyway. I'm sure Stalin did his share of pummelling, but any good Communist knows he was a traitorous fascist who failed the revolution.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

mutinyco

I'd be a better director. Ben Stiller would play Jesus and I'd film the entire thing in wideshots to drain the story of importance.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Pwaybloe

Quote from: PawbloeWell, apparently the idea was to have the movie in Aramic and Latin without subtitles.  And apparently it was the producers that pleaded with Gibson to add subtitles so they would have more than 2 people in the theater.

And Gibson buckled under the pressure and let his own genius idea disintegrate... right?

Yeah he did, and I think you'll find it much more succesful at the box office.  I can imagine the long hunting period he went through to find a distributor, he just didn't want to be threatend to do it again.  What you guys may call "artistic compromise" I call "business smarts."

Quote from: Pawbloebefore you get pummeled by your Commie friends, you damn Communist.

Communists don't pummel.

Yeah, but they're great in bed.

godardian

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanCommunists don't pummel.

Quote from: PawbloeYeah, but they're great in bed.

I'm not a Communist, but I can actually vouch for that.  :wink:  Ah, youth...