The Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King

Started by modage, June 30, 2003, 12:10:57 PM

Redlum

Dammit, I missed. They were asked to take it down
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

picolas

Redlum

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

oakmanc234

Thanks red. That's a nice little taste of the upcoming epic. More battles, more of those beloved characters and best of all...more of that psychotic little fucker Gollum.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

modage

Peter Jackson Gives Return of the King Update!
Source: Stuff Saturday, August 2, 2003

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King director Peter Jackson talked to the official fan magazine about progress on the third film.

"We're shooting, we're cutting, the visual effects still have a long way to go before they are done, we haven't started recording the music yet - so for me there may be light at the end of the tunnel, but the premiere in December still seems a long, long way away from where I am at the moment," Jackson said.

Jackson admitted to sadness that he had now finished filming scenes with the trilogy's stars. "I have experienced my last day of shooting Elijah Wood as Frodo and my last day of shooting Viggo (Mortensen) as Aragorn. Those to me are more profound than what my personal last day is going to be."

He said "The Return of the King" would be the best of the three films, and his personal favorite.

"It is the movie that I want to be most proud of, so I am working very hard to make sure that happens. I think when people look back at the three films, I want Return of the King to be the one that really lingers with them in terms of the emotional experience."

"I want it to be the reason why we made the other two films."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Lucinda Bryte

Quote from: jokerspath
Quote from: dufresnedamn, i'm getting all giddy for this one...

Same here.  

Did anyone else watch Fellowship right before they saw Two Towers in the theatre?  At this point, its a geeky dream of mine to watch the extended cuts of both Fellowship and Two Towers before seeing Return Of The King.  And then, obviously, when ROTK comes out (in a format that will most likely contain some extended footage), I will attempt to watch all three in a row...

aw

Hehe... I have the same dream...  :oops:

jokerspath

Quote from: Lucinda Bryte
Quote from: jokerspath
Quote from: dufresnedamn, i'm getting all giddy for this one...

Same here.  

Did anyone else watch Fellowship right before they saw Two Towers in the theatre?  At this point, its a geeky dream of mine to watch the extended cuts of both Fellowship and Two Towers before seeing Return Of The King.  And then, obviously, when ROTK comes out (in a format that will most likely contain some extended footage), I will attempt to watch all three in a row...

aw

Hehe... I have the same dream...  :oops:

You need not be ashamed, sister...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

Redlum

6 New pictures (probaby from the ROTK preview on TTT DvD).
http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/group/926

Battle at the Pelennor fields. (I hear they motion captured horses)

Osgiliath over run
  -  George Lucas

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

gollum  :yabbse-thumbup:
the rest of em  :yabbse-thumbdown:

they can do better than that.

IHeartPTA

backtracking a little bit, since i just found this forum yesterday and i love it.

not a huge fan of lord of the rings. i saw the first one and thought it was amazing, so i'm expecting two towers to be huge, every time i saw the trailer in theaters, i jizzed myself every time. then i saw it, and i was in awe. i absolutely hated it. it barely moved the story along and found it do be brain numbingly numbing. so when return of the king comes along, i hope it goes the same path as two towers, and sucks (a little arrogant, i know). another problem, i love imdb, on the top 10 of the top 250, both fellowship and two towers are in it. it's taking amazing movies like one flew over the cuckoo's nest, dr. strangelove, and rear window out of places where they belong. just the whole geek following with it, and no matter how bad the movie is, they're ignorance won't let them see beyond it.
"I want to confess as best I can, but my heart is void. The void is a mirror. I see my face and feel loathing and horror. My indifference to men has shut me out. I live now in a world of ghosts, a prisoner in my dreams. " -Antonius Block from The Seventh Seal

Pubrick

so.. u dont' like the movies cos they're too popular? and now u want the last one to suck just cos ur fucked up?

that's fucked up mang.
under the paving stones.

IHeartPTA

indeed, that's how i live life, by contradicting myself.
"I want to confess as best I can, but my heart is void. The void is a mirror. I see my face and feel loathing and horror. My indifference to men has shut me out. I live now in a world of ghosts, a prisoner in my dreams. " -Antonius Block from The Seventh Seal

MacGuffin

New Line Re-Releasing First Two Lord of the Rings Movies!
Source: Variety

New Line Cinema will re-release The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring and The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, with additional scenes and footage added, just two weeks before the worldwide December 17 release of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.

The plan calls for putting the films on 100-150 screens in the top 10 U.S. markets. Many other U.S. cities will have one cinema participating in the special extended edition screenings. Running times for the extended editions are 208 minutes for "Fellowship of the Ring" and 214 minutes for "The Two Towers."

Advanced ticket sales are scheduled to begin in late September or early October on exhibitor Web sites and movie ticketing sites like Fandango, MovieFone and Movietickets.com.

Starting the week of Dec. 5, the extended DVD cut of "Fellowship of the Ring" will be released in some 100 or so theaters in the U.S. and in 20 theaters in Canada.

Then, the week of Dec. 12, "The Two Towers" will be released, leading up to a worldwide Dec. 16 daylong marathon, during which all three films will be shown back-to-back. The screenings that day will include a 3 p.m. showing of "Fellowship" followed by a 7 p.m. screening of "Two Towers" and then an 11 p.m. screening of "Return of the King," which will carry over into Dec. 17 -- the day of its global release.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

that is sooooo fucking cool!!! I wish I could be in on that, though I would get pretty burned out after two in a row, I don't know how lucid I'd be for the last one.

But fueled by coffee and excitement, I will one day attempt a home version of this on wonderful dvd.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.