Alien Quadrilogy

Started by modage, June 26, 2003, 05:25:30 PM

modage

Alien Quadrilogy (DVD): Some exciting disc news today for fans of great sci-fi. DVDBoxOffice.com has details on Fox's Alien Quadrology set which has set a tentative release of November 11th, and what's coming sounds quite cool. You will be able to play both the theatrical version and James Cameron's 'Special Edition' version of "Aliens", the former of which has never been released before on this format (only the SE has been available). "Alien Resurrection" will feature an alternate opening and ending (incl. crashdown on Earth), and biggest news of all is David Fincher's unreleased full 170 min original version of "Alien 3" will be here - almost a full hour longer than the theatrical print. The ninth disc in the set will include "Alien Legacy" Documentary, "Alien Evolution" BBC Documentary, Darkhorse Alien and Alien vs. Predator comics, and the complete collection of Laser Disc features which weren't on the previous DVD box-set.

from darkhorizons.  i posted this in the fincher thread, but as it is like, looking to be one of the greatest box sets ever (9 DISCS!) i figured it needed to be salivated over in the DVD TALK thread as well.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Cecil

i cant wait to see that fincher cut.

and by the way, id like to make a movie with only 100$.

life_boy

I guess I can't just 'make do' with the old box set like I was contemplating.  That was, of course, before I heard of the extended Fincher cut and everything else.  Damn.  My Christmas List is getting longer by the day.

oakmanc234

David Fincher's unreleased full 170 min original version of "Alien 3"-HOLY SHIT! I really like 'Alien 3' despite it's rep. That set sounds incredible. An 'Alien' fans wet dream.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

modage

wow, they're going all out for this set...
The Winnipeg Sun reports that Frantic Films production house had its special effects crew spending "a couple of months working on one of several shots Fox is adding to its 'Alien: Resurrection' DVD" for this set.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Derek237

Man, I can't wait for this! Fox always makes the best DVDs to please the fans....

bonanzataz

fuck it. no matter how much i'm tempted, i'm not buying it. i have the original box and i hardly ever watch it...

oh, god i want it so bad! WHY CAN'T I JUST HAVE IT?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

The Idiot

Holy shit! I am glad I didn't buy the original box set of this film, because I heard rumours of this now confirmed set. I can't wait, I am a huge fan of the Alien franchise. Thanks for the info, modernage.
It is said that evil men have no songs. Why is it, then, that the Russians sing songs?

-Friederich Nietchze

edison

New details have emerged for Fox's upcoming nine-disc Alien Quadrilogy box set. Recent rating decisions over at the British Board of Film Classification reveal an exciting array of new bonus materials that will please even the most die-hard Alien fan! Please keep in mind that this set has yet to be officially announced and that currently this is the most complete breakdown of the extras. The collection may indeed have more on tap like audio commentaries and trivia subtitle tracks. As for the films themselves, look for extended cuts of Alien and Alien 3, both versions of Aliens (based on rumors), and new SFX/scenes inserted into Alien Resurrection.

Alien:

• Bob Burns Alien Collection (16m 52s)

• Ridley Scott Q&A (15m 38s)

• Theatrical Trailer A (1m 07s)

• Director's Cut Trailer

• TV Spots (37s)

Aliens :

• "57 Years Later: Continuing the Story" Featurette (10m 59s)

• "Preparing For Battle: Casting and Characterization" Featurette (16m 59s)

• "Two Orphans: Sigourney Weaver and Carrie Henn" Featurette (13m 47s)

• "Building Better Worlds: From Concept To Construction" Featurette (14m)

• "Bug Hunt: Creature Design" (16m 23s)

• "The Risk Always Lives: Weapons And Action" Featurette (15m 12s)

• "The Power Of Real Tech: Visual Effects" Featurette (27m 49s)

• "Beauty And The Bitch: Power Loader vs Queen Alien" Featurette (22m 25s)

• "The Final Countdown: Music, Editing And Sound" Featurette (15m 30s)

• "Aliens Unleashed: Reaction To The Film" Featurette (11m 38s)

• "This Time It's War: Pinewood Studios" 1985 Featurette (19m 39s)

• Multi-Angle Pre-Vis Animatics with optional Commentary (3m 14s)

• Interview With James Cameron (9m 29s)

• James Cameron Interview/Film Footage (3m 13s)

• James Cameron Intro to Extended Version (31s)

• International Trailer (29s)

• Domestic Trailer (32s)

• TV Spots (29s)

• Easter Egg: "The Boy And His Power Loader" (9m 35s)

Alien 3:

• The Making Of Alien 3 (22m 25s)

• Alien 3 Advance Featurette (2m 47)

• Theatrical Trailer A (1m 00s)

• Theatrical Trailer B (1m 07s)

• Theatrical Trailer C (1m 01s)

• Theatrical Trailer D (31s)

• Theatrical Trailer E (1m 06s)

• TV Spots (2m 41s)

Alien Resurrection:

• The Making Of Alien Resurrection (25m 42s)

• Theatrical Trailer (2m 19s)

• TV Spots (1m 41s)

Additional Supplementary Disc:

• "Alien Evolution" BBC Documentary (75m)

• "The Alien Legacy" Documentary (66m 51s)

• Alien Quadrilogy Trailer (1m 05s)

• Alien Legacy Trailer (1m 05s)

modage

markums2k

Like everyone else, I'm very excited about the Fincher cut of Alien 3.

The box itself looks amazing.  This set most certainly deserves a spot on the "If I Win the Lottery" list.

I'm continually troubled by this mis-conception that U.S. consumers have money to burn these days...

budgie

From davidfincher.cjb.net

Alien³ DVD facts

The running time of the extended version of Alien³ will be 144 minutes and 38 seconds (NTSC). The original version had a running time of 114 minutes and 37 seconds.

Please note that this is not a Directors Cut, but a extended version that was created by Alien³ editor Terry Rawlings, who also (according to bbfc info) delivered a commentary for the original version.

Sadly David Fincher was not involved with the production of the DVD.

bbfc_dvd info

these are not the final specs! There is probably more to come.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALIEN 3 - SPECIAL EDITION FEATURE 138m 51s -
Widescreen, DVD additional material

ALIEN 3 - MULTI-ANGLE SEGMENT E.E.V. BIOSCAN WITH COMMENTARY 12m 1s
DVD additional material
00:02:00:05 | UNTITLED
00:02:00:05 | E.E.V. BIOSCAN - ANGLE 2
00:02:00:06 | E.E.V. BIOSCAN - ANGLE 3
00:02:00:05 | E.E.V. BIOSCAN - ANGLE 4
00:02:00:05 | E.E.V. BIOSCAN - ANGLE 5
00:02:00:06 | E.E.V. BIOSCAN - ANGLE 6

ALIEN 3 - OPTICAL FURY VISUAL EFFECTS FEATURETTE 23m 18s
Part Subtitled, Multi-Aspect, DVD additional material,

ALIEN 3 - MUSIC, EDITING & SOUND FEATURETTE 14m 50s
Multi-Aspect, DVD additional material

ALIEN 3 - POST MORTEM REACTION TO THE FILM FEATURETTE 5m 46s

ALIEN 3 - ADI'S WORKSHOP PRODUCTION FEATURETTES 23m 26s
Multi-Aspect, DVD additional material,
00:14:34:16 | PRODUCTION - PART II
00:08:51:08 | PRODUCTION FEATURETTE PART 3

ALIEN 3 - ADAPTIVE ORGANISM: CREATURE DESIGN FEATURETTE 20m 31s

ALIEN 3 - XENO-EROTIC: H.R. GIGER'S REDESIGN FEATURETTE 10m 17s
DVD additional material

ALIEN 3 - PRODUCTION PART ONE FEATURETTE 18m 0s

ALIEN 3 - FURNACE CONSTRUCTION: TIME LAPSE SEQUENCE FEATURETTE 4m 33s
DVD additional material

ALIEN 3 - TALES OF THE WOODEN PLANET: VINCENT WARD'S VISION FEATURETTE 13m 9s

ALIEN 3 - DEVELOPMENT: CONCLUDING THE STORY FEATURETTE 16m 54s

ALIEN 3 - PRE-PRODUCTION: PART 3 FEATURETTE 1m 39s

ALIEN 3 - ALIEN 3 ADVANCE FEATURETTE 2m 47s
DVD additional material

ALIEN 3 09m 59s
Widescreen, DVD audio commentary

Cecil

Quote from: budgiePlease note that this is not a Directors Cut, but a extended version

Sadly David Fincher was not involved with the production of the DVD.

i knew it

Banky

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: oakmanc234David Fincher's unreleased full 170 min original version of "Alien 3"-HOLY SHIT! I really like 'Alien 3' despite it's rep. That set sounds incredible. An 'Alien' fans wet dream.

Yeah, it might be my favorite Alien movie. I can't wait for Fincher's cut! Redemption at last!