Apple is the best thing ever

Started by Kal, October 12, 2005, 02:59:39 PM

MacGuffin

Some Nifty Movie-Related Apps for Your iPhone
Source: Cinematical

I'm sure there are a ton of you who received an iPhone as a gift over the holidays, and I bet you've been busy dancing to ringtones, showing the phone off to your relatives and waving it in the face of those friends who think their Blackberry is, like, the best thing ever. One imagines you've also been scouring the App Store for apps that interest you. The good thing for movie geeks and/or filmmakers is that there are a slew of very cool apps you can download and play around with -- some of which I wasn't even familiar with until The Wrap threw together this nifty list.

They list 10 movie-related apps that range from goofy, geeky things to pass the time (like the "HAL 9000" app that spits out lines from Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey every time you touch the glowing red orb) to useful, on-the-job apps (like the "Artemis Director's Viewfinder", which lets you preview a shot after you enter the format, aspect ratio and type of lens you're using). Some of these apps, like the "Artemis Director's Viewfinder", are already being used by production teams on shows like 30 Rock and Nurse Jackie, while others -- like "Movie Tweets" -- could be used by you to check out the latest Twitter buzz on a film you're thinking about seeing. You can check out the rest of their recommendations over here.

A couple apps they didn't include (that you might also want) are "Moviefone" and "IMDB" (self explanatory) and "Run Pee", which offers up tips on when to go to the bathroom during a movie.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

That viewfinder app looks awesome. I've always wanted something like that so I could play armchair filmmaker. $29.99 is mad expensive, though. Wish I still had my iPhone jailbroken so I could steal it.

So is it basically a foregone conclusion that apple is going to announce the tablet? How awesome is it going to be and who's getting one?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pas

Quote from: Stefen on January 04, 2010, 05:24:55 PM
That viewfinder app looks awesome. I've always wanted something like that so I could play armchair filmmaker. $29.99 is mad expensive, though. Wish I still had my iPhone jailbroken so I could steal it.

why is your iphone not jailbroken anymore?

polkablues

So is it basically a foregone conclusion that apple is going to announce the tablet?

Apple tablet device coming in January

The title's a little misleading, since the article says they only plan to announce it at the end of January, and actually release it in March.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

I had to restore my iPhone and ever since then I haven't been able to jailbreak it again. Everytime I do it just makes me restore again. It sucks. I need to wait for a new jailbreak.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Reinhold

So is it basically a foregone conclusion that apple is going to announce the tablet? How awesome is it going to be and who's getting one?

i hope it's awesome, and i hope i won't "need" one.

edit: this is a great thread to read from the beginning. "fuck the ipod video... check out the imac g5"
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

polkablues

Hipsterdog already has one on pre-order.

Stefen

Pubrick

Quote from: Stefen on January 05, 2010, 05:25:39 PM
Ahaahaa. I love hipster dog!

i don't.

but i'm thinking that after a few posts it might grow on me.

EDIT: it did not grow on me.
under the paving stones.

polkablues

Stefen

That's backpack dawg. He only listens to underground hip-hop. He tries to rock the wheelz of steel but his dawg-gone paws keep screwing up his vinyl. 

Reinhold

i just started using quicktime's "save for web" feature, which is awesome for video people. with one mouse click, you can output a movie file each for for streaming to computers, iphones, and iphones with cell connections, and it creates an html page for you with header and body code for you to copy/paste. apple even hosts scripts that detect the device and connection speed, and a version is picked automatically for viewers. if you can host the files in the same place as your page, it's a matter of straight cut/paste. pretty awesome if you don't want to put something you've worked on on youtube.
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Reinhold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSAXEVXvNz8&feature=player_embedded#

microsoft's stores are microsoft's half-hour news hour to apple's daily show... and even their fake virals suck.

(apple's fake viral, using the same song posted a few months earlier) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3be6D18ExPg&feature=player_embedded

Reinhold

modage

Waiting for my mind to be blown...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.