Robert Zemeckis

Started by modage, June 13, 2003, 02:49:35 PM

RegularKarate

Gross... didn't he learn anything with Polar Express?

That's gonna look like absolute shit.

MacGuffin

Rudin looking to book Zemeckis
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Scott Rudin might have finally found a director for the screen adaptation of Jonathan Franzen's novel "The Corrections." According to sources, Rudin is eyeing Robert Zemeckis, who most recently directed "The Polar Express." While Zemeckis' publicist Paul Bloch was unavailable for comment Wednesday, a source in Zemeckis' camp said he is interested in the book. Paramount -- where Rudin is based -- Zemeckis' company ImageMovers and his agency CAA all declined comment. Zemeckis most recently signed on to direct "Beowulf" for Columbia Pictures.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pwaybloe

Quote from: RegularKarateGross... didn't he learn anything with Polar Express?

That's gonna look like absolute shit.

So does "perfomance capture" basically mean "rotoscoping?"

SHAFTR

Quote from: themodernage02Robert Zemeckis to Direct Beowulf
Source: Roger Avary January 21, 2005

Roger Avary and Neil Gaiman have joined forces with Steve Bing and Robert Zemeckis to bring the oldest written English language myth, Beowulf, to the big screen through the magic of performance capture. Zemeckis will direct from the screenplay by Avary and Gaiman. The project will be financed by Shangri-La Entertainment, which is currently in discussions with Sony Pictures Entertainment to distribute all of its feature films. The film will be produced by Robert Zemeckis, Steve Starkey and Jack Rapke. Martin Shafer will serve as executive producer along with Avary and Gaiman.

Zemeckis is the acclaimed Academy Award-winning director of Forrest Gump as well as such major hit films as Cast Away, What Lies Beneath, Contact, the "Back to the Future" trilogy, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Romancing the Stone and Death Becomes Her.

Avary, who is an actual Viking descendant, won an Academy Award for his collaboration with Quentin Tarantino on Pulp Fiction, and is the writer/director of such acclaimed films as Killing Zoe and The Rules of Attraction. Avary is currently finishing the screenplay adaptation of the hit Konami videogame, ,b>Silent Hill, for Producer Samuel Hadida and Tristar Pictures.

Gaiman is the Hugo and Nebula-Award winning author of such novels as "American Gods" and "Coraline," and is best known as the creator of DC Comics' legendary "Sandman". He wrote the English Language Script for the Miyazaki film Princess Mononoke. His first feature, MirrorMask, directed by Dave McKean, premieres at the Sundance Film Festival. His short film A Short Film About John Bolton was just released on DVD. Projects in development based on work by Gaiman include Coraline, which Henry Selick is writing and directing, and Stardust, with director Matthew Vaughn. Gaiman is writing and will be directing Death and Me, based on his DC Comics graphic novel "Death: The High Cost of Living" for New Line Cinema.

Beowulf made into a film, wow.  I hated that book.  On a side note, my sophomore year in High School we had to read it.  For some reason our class would read it outloud, taking turns reading different parts.  To piss my teacher off I would over-emphasize "Hell" whenever it was said in the book.  It worked.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Ghostboy

Hey, Beowulf is great! But I had to read it exactly the same way in high school. Luckily I'd read it before. Anyway, the odd thing is that I think there's a live action version with Gerard Butler being shot right now.

Regarding The Corrections...unless Zemeckis can't resist casting the same actor as the entire family, Back To The Future style, I think it's a great choice. Better than Stephen Daldry, in any case.

MacGuffin

Par, Warners retell legend of 'Beowulf'

Paramount Pictures and Warner Bros. Pictures are teaming up to slay a classic beast.

The two studios are taking the reins on Robert Zemeckis' "Beowulf," a big-budget performance-capture film that is being co-financed by Shangri-La Entertainment and boasts an international cast headed by Ray Winstone, Crispin Glover and Angelina Jolie.

Shangri-La, headed by Steve Bing, was a major investor in Warners and Zemeckis' "The Polar Express," in which Bing invested at least $80 million.

Sony Pictures had originally planned to distribute "Beowulf," which it touted on one of its company Web sites as a future release. It also was expected to take a financial stake in the project, which was initially developed by Shangri-La. A Sony spokesman did not return calls seeking comment.

Paramount will now handle domestic distribution for the film, while Warners will handle international.

The Old English epic poem, which is thought to have been written in the eighth century, chronicles the exploits of Beowulf, a Scandinavian hero who saves the Danes from the indomitable monster Grendel.

Winstone ("Sexy Beast") has signed on to play the title character and will be joined by Glover as Grendel and Jolie as Grendel's mother. Rounding out the cast are Anthony Hopkins, Robin Wright Penn, John Malkovich, Alison Lohman and Brendan Gleeson.

The announcement was made jointly Wednesday by Paramount chairman and CEO Brad Grey and president Gail Berman and Warners president and chief operating officer Alan Horn and president of production Jeff Robinov.

Zemeckis will employ the next generation in the digitally rendered live-action process he pioneered with 2004's "The Polar Express." Roger Avary ("Pulp Fiction") and Neil Gaiman ("MirrorMask") are penning the screenplay. The film will be produced by Zemeckis, Steve Starkey and Jack Rapke of ImageMovers. Martin Shafer will executive produce along with Avary and Gaiman.

" 'Beowulf' is a timeless, epic tale of heroism and triumph," Zemeckis said. "Digital rendering will allow us to depict this incredible story in ways we would never have dared imagine, and it's a privilege to work with Shangri-La, Paramount and Warner Bros. on this extraordinary project."

Zemeckis received an Academy Award for directing "Forrest Gump." His credits include "Cast Away," "Contact," "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" and the "Back to the Future" trilogy.

ImageMovers is working with Sony Pictures Imageworks on its second digitally rendered live-action film, "Monster House," which is set for release in summer 2006. This process uses ImageWorks' proprietary Imagemotion technology.

"Beowulf" is slated for a 2007 release.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

there is no other beowulf in my eyes..

under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Zemeckis, Rapke, Starkey go 3-D
Trio partner with Disney for new film co.
Source: Variety

Robert Zemeckis and his producing partners Jack Rapke and Steve Starkey are partnering with the Walt Disney Studios to form a film company to specialize in performance capture films.

Company has yet to be named. Zemeckis, Rapke and Starkey's current production shingle, ImageMovers, already based at Disney, will be folded into the new venture.

The three ImageMovers partners will produce all the company's films, many of which will be helmed by Zemeckis. Disney will market and distrib the pics worldwide.

Company will be devoted to producing 3-D films using motion capture technology. Under the ImageMovers banner, the trio produced motion capture pics "The Polar Express" for Warner Bros. and "Monster House" for Sony, as well as the upcoming "Beowulf," which Paramount will release.

Disney has been at the forefront of film-related 3-D technology. Its animated "Chicken Little" was released on 3-D screens, as will be the upcoming "Meet the Robinsons." Last fall Disney re-released "The Nightmare Before Christmas" in 3-D.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Exclusive: Carrey Making Christmas Carol
Robert Zemeckis to direct
Source: EmpireOnline

At last, slowest news day in the history of all that has ever been has picked up some space. So, thank you, Mr Bob Hoskins. During a recent chat, the world's favourite cockerney (even though he was born in Suffolk) revealed that Robert Zemeckis is working on another of his motion capture animation doodads, in the style of Polar Express and the upcoming Beowulf. And he's bringing one of the biggest stars in the world along with him.

"He's going to make A Christmas Carol with Jim Carrey," Hoskins says of the director he previously worked with on Who Framed Roger Rabbit. "He wants me to play Mr Fezziwig. He's doing in that way he did Polar Express. You stand in a box with that funny suit on and it reads everything you do...Am I going to do it? Of course I am!"

There are no details on when the movie might shoot or which studio might fund it yet, though Zemeckis's previous two films using this technique have been under the Warner Bros banner.

Skeleton FilmWorks

72teeth

oh cool, so we get to see Carrey playing The Grinch/Count Olaf yet again, great...
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

MacGuffin

Confirmed:

'Christmas' comes early for Carrey with Dis pic

Walt Disney Pictures and Robert Zemeckis' ImageMovers Digital will make "A Christmas Carol," starring Jim Carrey as Scrooge, the Ghost of Christmas Past, the Ghost of Christmas Present and the Ghost of Christmas Future.

Offering his take on the classic story, Zemeckis wrote the screenplay for Carrey and will direct the film, which will be made for a 3-D stereoscopic release. Production will incorporate performance capture and blend live action and CG in the tradition of "The Polar Express," "Monster House" and the upcoming "Beowulf."

Several Web sites have reported that Bob Hoskins -- who worked with Zemeckis on "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" -- might play Mr. Fezziwig in the film, but Disney said no official deal making has commenced with the actor.

The film's producers are Zemeckis, Steve Starkey and Jack Rapke. A release date has not been set.

Carrey, whose credits include "Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events" and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," is providing voice talent for the upcoming animated film "Horton Hears a Who."

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

The multiple roles thing... Mike Myers got away with it for a hot second, Eddie Murphy did it well at first but kept doing it until it wasn't funny anymore.  Carrey doing it will be, more than likely, every bit as horrible as I'm imagining it to be.  I know Peter Sellers made it look easy in Strangelove but for God's sake, he's not Peter Sellers.

If he was just playing Scrooge as an old man, this would have my money.  It would be worth it just to see him let loose once Scrooge changes his tune.  OR if he was playing the ghosts and someone else was Scrooge (even Tom Hanks).  Either/or, I'd just be skeptical within reason.  But this... this is too much.

Hopefully, Zemeckis can unlock some of that Back to the Future/Roger Rabbit magic that's kind of eluded him the last 15 years.

MacGuffin

Marty and Doc reunite?
Source: Moviehole

Marty McFly and Doc Brown back together?

Great Scott!

According to BTTF.com, the "Back to the Future" duo may be rejoining forces to play parts in Robert Zemeckis's – Zemeckis directed the "Future" trilogy – next pic, "A Christmas Carol".

Jim Hill Media reports that roles have been specifically written for Fox and Lloyd.

Christopher Lloyd will portray Marley's Ghost and Michael J. Fox will voice Tiny Tim.

The new film, a modern-day take on the classic "Christmas Carol" and starring Jim Carrey, will be the very first project produced by ImageMoversDigital, the performance capture company that Disney just set up with Zemeckis.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Disney, Zemeckis Board 'Yellow Submarine'
By: Mike Fleming; Variety

Disney and director Robert Zemeckis are negotiating to remake "Yellow Submarine," the 1968 psychedelic animated film based on the music of The Beatles.

The studio has been quietly brokering a complicated rights deal that would give Zemeckis access to 16 original Beatles songs for a movie he will direct in the performance-capture 3-D digital production format he employed for "A Christmas Carol." Disney opens that film November 6, with Jim Carrey playing Scrooge as well as the three ghosts who haunt him in the Charles Dickens tale.

The hope is to have "Yellow Submarine" ready to premiere around the 2012 Summer Olympics, which begins July 27 in London.

Disney would not comment on the negotiations or the project. Zemeckis's ImageMovers would produce.

The deal marries cutting-edge 3-D feature technology with a surging reinterest in The Beatles, who appeared only in the film's closing scene. Actors provided the voices for the animated characters of Beatles Paul McCartney, John Lennon, George Harrison and Ringo Starr. 

The storyline of the original took place in Pepperland, an undersea paradise protected by Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. When the band is captured by the music-hating Blue Meanies, a soldier is sent to Liverpool to fetch the Fab Four, who hop in the submarine and save the day.

Key to the deal is Zemeckis' ability to use a treasure trove of classic Beatles tune, from the title song to "All Together Now," "Baby You're a Rich Man," "All You Need Is Love," "When I'm 64," "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," and "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band." 

The deal has been months in the making with armies of lawyers, and sources said that rights will encompass the future prospects of a Broadway stage musical like Disney accomplished with "The Lion King," a Cirque du Soleil stage production ("Love," a production based on Beatles tunes, has been running for two years at The Mirage) and merchandise.

"Yellow Submarine" is just the latest in a flurry of pacts for The Beatles. September will be a big month for the band that broke up in 1970, with the release of a flurry of re-mastered records and the vidgame "The Beatles: Rock Band."

Disney's talks follow the astounding $60 million deal that Sony made to turn the rehearsal footage for the final Michael Jackson concerts into a feature film. Why do films and games like Rock Band continue to reach back into past decades for songs that are being sold to young audiences? My personal musical tastes are stamped from the 1970s to the mid 1980s, but I would argue that there is very little contemporary competition for the classic acts of yesterday. Is there another Beatles, Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen or U2 on the horizon?

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alexandro

just make a real fucking movie man. what happened to you?