The Official Twin Peaks Thread (TOTPT)

Started by NEON MERCURY, July 15, 2003, 03:29:03 PM

The Ultimate Badass

Holy shit!

That was the most stupendously unresolved dick-tease in the history of television as far as I'm concerned.

Sleepless

Thoughts still churning, and looking forward to reading other reactions, but it'd but dishonest to say I feel like this means something, anything, at this point. I'm disappointed. And so much driving. Silver lining: the show made it easy to say goodbye to it.

But I'm not going to let my immediately negative reactions destroy what was, up until that point, a thing of beauty. Imma give it a couple more days. But yeah...
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

WorldForgot

So glad for all the lives Lynch has shared with us, the ugliest symmetry and precious imperfections. Part 18 as 'Outcome' of the drama was exactly what I wanted/needed. I wouldn't have been able to stomach another ending as spiraling as Szn 2's. Some people are commenting that The Return ended with a cliffhanger (and possibly open for Season 4), but I don't feel that way. Who was going to be saved, anyway? Where does Cooper's mind go when he knows all there is about Blue Rose? Who were the "Who" in question and would those Who have agreed that that was who was 'saved'? 

I guess, in a sense, this ending spiraled, too. But it was reaching for associations in my mind, that I cannot deny have become bound to Lynch's work at this point, but are also the sort of associations we conjure up into thoughts when we're not thinking of movies at all. Thoughts that are feelings that might actually be moods on a dark drive toward a town you can't remember not knowing.

LCD Soundsystem's song 'other voices' gets at a lot of these themes in its lyrics. And of course, for their Farewell that wasn't a Farewell, they ended the show with Twin Peaks' theme song.
Some stories just cannot end while there is electricity.
QuoteI've heard it, heard it
And it sounds like the nineties
Who can you trust
And who are your friends
Who is impossible
And who is the enemy
These are the halls that we're presently haunting
And these are the people that we currently haunt
Push back the walls
Push back the calendar
We've got, we've got friends who are calling us home

Drenk

'twas about a lost man. A lost young girl. And trauma. And how the past is this unescapable affair. Then, I am just writing words: Lynch has always been about the gut reaction, and I got plenty of that with the last episodes.
Ascension.

Sleepless

Quote from: WorldForgot on September 04, 2017, 06:20:16 AM
Some people are commenting that The Return ended with a cliffhanger (and possibly open for Season 4), but I don't feel that way.

No, this was the end. And it should be.

I've been thinking about this all day. I'm not going to claim that such and such means something and it's all so clever, because that's not what I typically get from Lynch's work at all. His cinema moreso that others I enjoy must be connected with on an emotional and spiritual level. There is meaning there, but a lot of it is what it means personally to you. I don't hate the ending, but I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed that final episode. I'm still percolating, but there's a lot of meaning one could take from it, and I'm still picking apart what resonates most for me.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Drenk

SPOILERS BREAKING BAD

For the finale of Breaking Bad I had imagined something similar in mood of what Twin Peaks did. I imagined Walter driving back to his hometown. Stuff would happen, but it would be very quiet. We wouldn't see what happens he gets home since the show had already shown flash forward of him in his house, etc. What more did we need? We had seen the fall.  I didn't think the show would give him some kind of redemption.

Anyway, all that to say that I loved the mood of the finale, how it showed night and how alien yet familiar the world seemed...And the tension was sickening.
Ascension.

Sleepless

Quote from: Drenk on September 05, 2017, 08:38:19 AM
how it showed night and how alien yet familiar the world seemed...And the tension was sickening.

That I did love. The anticlimactic aspect is of course intentional and it's for both us and Cooper.

Drenk

The more I think about the Audrey scenes/the ending/everything around Cooper/Dougie/Mr C., a big part of this season was about being trapped. It's a weird feeling to see Cooper traveling dimensions upon dimensions and still being trapped. Also: you can't save Laura. What makes her scream won't disappear. I love when she says in the car that she thought she could change her life. Of course, it isn't Laura talking in the sense that we are in some dream logic where people change...But I get it.
Ascension.

Sleepless

Yes. Coop saved her (from being murdered) but he didn't really save her. As much as you can try to "make things right" you can't. You've just gotta fight the good fight, do the right thing, and make the best of the situation. A delicious cherry pie is just as important as anything else when it comes to contributing happiness in this world. The little things matter.

Sleepless

"What really unnerves about the fallout is the degree to which it resembles Christ's last temptation, though absent a divine father to whom one can repent. Cooper has more or less banished the gods and made himself the deity of this realm, as evidenced after he returns to the Red Room and finds he can control the curtains with a simple wavering hand gesture."

"The paralyzing nullity of their journey (almost entirely at nighttime) is nauseating. [...] Much of the car ride is filmed poor-man's process, so that there's an overarching sense of non-movement. Cooper and Carrie are going nowhere fast, and everything that appears to be a threat (the headlights hovering ominously in the rearview, for example) proves to be nothing of the sort. All there is is desensitizing gloom and dread."

"Twin Peaks," Episodes 17 & 18 Recap: See You At The Curtain Call

Drenk

For such an horny old man, sex is always a negative force with Lynch, no? The bug in Episode 8 felt like a punition. The girl had her first sexual "feelings" with the boy before she ate the bug. And the same song she's listening to plays when Diane and Coop have sex in Episode 18.
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

I was out of town, just got to see this last night. I'll have more thoughts later, but for now...

As with all later Lynch, there really is a coherent big picture — it just takes some time to put together. Worry not, Sleepless! I promise there is a lot of meaning here.

First, on a practical level. We learned that the overarching "blue sky" mission of the Blue Rose Taskforce was to find and potentially defeat Judy (Jow-day, Mother, Experiment, horned entity that vomits evil onto the world, "a force of extreme negativity"). Since Cooper was on board with that, it's probably the main reason he went into the Black Lodge.

People are hypothesizing, roughly, that it went like this. The White Lodge sent Laura in the golden orb to confront or possibly defeat Bob and/or Judy. We were confused by that at the time (how is Laura a powerful force for good?), but now it makes total sense. You can argue whether this was successful. Bob appeared to be aware of this threat, because he attacked and corrupted and weakened Laura as quickly as possible, via her father, through sexual trauma. (Sexual assault and men abusing women then becomes a theme of Twin Peaks.) As a result of that, Bob is successful — Laura is barely in a position to live a functional life, let alone confront evil entities.

There's a silver lining. Laura's trauma and resulting death set off a chain of events that would eventually lead to Bob's defeat. Judy survives, though — which feels right, narratively.

The Search for the Zone includes this little tidbit: "Why Frequencies are the Key to Understanding Parallel Universes and Time Travel." Indeed, in this finale we saw BOTH. We saw Cooper go back in time to save Laura and prevent her death. But in doing that, he created a fork — a parallel universe. Which renders this effort basically futile. Remember what Twin Peaks is all about: garmonbozia, pain and sorrow. Good people will try to prevent it, fix it, but they will often fail. Just as Cooper did here in spectacular fashion.

I think the scene at the restaurant, where Cooper goes white knight, is an important clue. Look how proud and noble Cooper is there. He is completely in that mode. And it seems kind of ridiculous, because it is.

It's also a potent meta commentary on Twin Peaks itself, Twin Peaks nostalgia, and nostalgia in general. Cooper imagines a lovely, emotional reunion between Laura and her mother at that house. Watch that sinking feeling as he realizes it's not going to happen. He seems so pathetic there. He wants to fix Laura and prevent her pain and sorrow — instead, he takes alternate-Laura to the only place in the world where her pain and sorrow can be fully activated, ending in that epic scream.

Drenk

I like this article: it's mostly about how The Return was in relationship with the original Twin Peaks as a TV Show: https://ozba.wordpress.com/2017/08/31/twin-peaks-audrey-billy-and-living-inside-a-dream/
Ascension.

Drenk

I already miss the show...

It's almost been a week and I've thought of the last episodes every day since it aired, and I want to read about it, even if I don't know what exactly I want to read. It's an intoxicating buzz.
Ascension.