Conan's the man!

Started by ono, October 16, 2003, 11:38:17 PM

Reel

not one word about the new Conan? I missed it last night which is no biggie because I'll probably be watching it every day now but who were even the guests last night, and was it any good?

Ravi

Quote from: Reelist on November 09, 2010, 07:37:35 AM
not one word about the new Conan? I missed it last night which is no biggie because I'll probably be watching it every day now but who were even the guests last night, and was it any good?

Everything before the interviews was good to great.  The interviews themselves were meh.  Tom Hanks is on tonight, and he's usually funny on Conan.  I'm waiting for him to get back to the sketches.

Gold Trumpet

It was funny. Conan is going to over use the basic cable joke soon, but it also was good to have Conan back on air. It took one episode to show Conan will be more daring here than with his version of The Tonight Show.

Gold Trumpet

Really good Bill Simmons podcast on current and past Late Night Wars. Lots of insight by Late Shift author. He penned a new insider's perspective on the Conan fallout for the Late Night world.

http://cdn16.castfire.com/audio/303/2117/7141/456605/simmons_2010-11-10-120605-3953-0-0-0.32.mp3?cdn_id=33&uuid=2ed58a2783bb3044a881e4f3daf346f3&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fsports.espn.go.com%2Fespn%2Fpage2%2Fsimmons%2Findex

Fernando

thanks for that, everyone should listen to it.

Stefen

I listened to the first 10 minutes and it basically sounded like an interview with Jay Leno's biggest fan/Conan's biggest hater.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Stefen on November 10, 2010, 07:28:30 PM
I listened to the first 10 minutes and it basically sounded like an interview with Jay Leno's biggest fan/Conan's biggest hater.

Uhm, you should listen to more. It's pretty objective and the further the interview goes in, the more rounded it becomes with criticizing everyone in fair ways. The guy admits his personal feelings by saying David Letterman is the best talent and he likes Conan. Talent wise, Jay Leno comes off as the worst of the hosts for him as far as talent goes. He just doesn't see much blame for Leno in the Conan upheaval. That's why it sounds nicer at the beginning, but by the end, you leave with different impressions for sure.

Stefen

Yeah, I'll listen some more when I do another 10 minutes of exercise next week.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Myxo

I'm pretty certain I heard Harrison Ford say shit on Conan tonight. An unedited shit. You rebels TBS!

Pubrick

Was he describing the show?
under the paving stones.

Reel

I remember watching movies on TBS where they didn't blank out the middle finger. At the time it was so cutting edge.

ono

I've got to say, Conan, these days, is still the man.  And even Andy is getting his fair share of barbs in.  The two really do fit.  There was the bit a few weeks ago where Andy tried to get himself a sidekick.  And now, with Will Ferrell hijacking Tina Fey's "clip" and then coming on the show to shave Conan's beard off, helping coin the phrase beardpocalypse.  It was all so very delicious and slightly poignant considering its inception.  Let's just hope that now his beard is gone the funny won't have gone with it.

Reel

Conan looks wierd without the beard now. I had to adjust the white balance on my tv.

Ravi

I don't watch every episode the way I did with Late Night. I watch when certain guests are on, but the sketches are not funny enough to warrant me watching every episode, and it looks like they don't have the budget to do remotes anymore.

diggler

The problem with the remotes is that since he's not in New York anymore so he can't just stroll outside and find funny things to shoot. I do think the TBS show is much better than the Tonight Show and captures more of his spirit but I really miss Conan in NYC.

Andy has been great. Everyone seems looser and more relaxed.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty