the decemberists

Started by tpfkabi, March 24, 2005, 10:12:58 PM

polkablues

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on March 15, 2009, 09:33:49 PM
Okay, I just listened to one of the best albums I've heard in a long time.

Yes, I'm talking about the new concept story album from the Decemberists. I could go on and on about how great it is, but it's probably best to just download it and and enjoy it while reading the lyrics.

I haven't read any criticism of it yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's already being called a masterpiece. It's certainly better than anything the Decemberists have ever done.

This is the best news I've gotten all weekend.  And it's been a good weekend.
My house, my rules, my coffee

tpfkabi

I have yet to hear anything from the new album. I was kinda thrown off by their last album, which wasn't bad, but just seemed too much of the same I guess. Also the multiple super long songs made it a hard listen for me.

I still like them enough to pick this up when it comes out though.

I know a week or two ago they sent an e-mail saying the first "x" number of people to order the album through them would get it signed and I couldn't even get through to the merch portion of the site for hours after.

Not too crazy about the album cover.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Stefen

I've never liked anything they've done. Maybe I'll give this new one a spin.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

john

Colin Meloy should shut his stupid fucking face. As long as The Soft Boys/RH albums still exist, there is no reason for The Decemberists to exist. Boring and pretentious... and, if you're gonna be pretentious, at least don't be boring.

Faux-rock isn't rock.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Stefen

Is it true that he has an album where he covers Sam Cooke songs or is that just a joke because his voice isn't very good and Sam Cooke's was one of the best voices of all-time?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

Quote from: bigideas on March 16, 2009, 11:23:15 AM
Also the multiple super long songs made it a hard listen for me.

You might not like this too much, then.  It's basically what they were doing with "The Island" on Crane Wife, extended out to an entire album.  It's a pretty impressive piece of work, but I can't imagine myself listening to it on a regular basis.
My house, my rules, my coffee

john

Quote from: Stefen on March 16, 2009, 04:44:54 PM
Is it true that he has an album where he covers Sam Cooke songs or is that just a joke because his voice isn't very good and Sam Cooke's was one of the best voices of all-time?

According to Wikipedia, yes.

That's the kinda thing that would be a Mad TV sketch if Mad TV had better references... or writers... or was still on the air.

tpfkabi

Were ya'll hurt by a girl who loved this band or something?
Goodness.

Stefen

I only date girls who listen to gangsta rap.

Jeremy Blackman

Yeah... the backlash this is getting in this thread is just a little confounding. And for the record, I was not impressed with the Decemberists' previous work (though honestly I'll probably have to revisit it now) except for a few songs here and there. I found it mostly plain, and, yes, sometimes pretentious. But I dunno, the live clips I've seen of Colin Meloy (including on-stage banter, etc.) communicate anything but pretentiousness. Is he a little over-educated? Sure. Is his voice an acquired taste? Yeah. But I got used to it. Unlike the band's other stuff, this album just clicked with me. It clicked like few albums ever have. I'm not sure I can explain it, but I think this is nearly perfect.

Gamblour.

Damn, this slipped my mind. Can't wait to get it when I get home.
WWPTAD?

john

No backlash from me, after an initial curiosity based on a friend's recommendation, and their allegiances to Robyn Hitchcock/Sean Nelson/Peter Buck, I was really excited to hear them... and immediately turned off by what I heard.

However, not to shit on everything and hoping not to be an entirely cynical bastard, I drove around listening to Hazards of Love last night. It's not going to convert me.... and it's not going to make me recant any previous sentiment... BUT... I can see why some people respond so affectionately to this band. There were a few really exciting moments scattered on an otherwise bloated album... but at least it was attempting something, and at least those moments were aiming for a height a lot of bands are to demure to attempt. So, yeah, it still isn't my style... but there are a lot more detrimental things for the indie kids to obsesses over (I'm looking at you, MGMT)

Stefen

I listened to it, too after hearing a feature on it on NPR.

It's good. I like it and I'm glad I gave it a chance, but it is very pretentious. It' reminds me of an indier version of something The Mars Volta would do. Corny as fuck, but fun at times. I can't imagine myself listening to the whole thing more than the one time I did, but it's got some stuff I'll go back to.

tpfkabi

I just saw that it is streaming on imeem.

I seem to be reading that this one is 'prog-y?'
(I would guess with lots of 70's keyboards?)

Have they given up the sea chant-y vibe?