What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

Ravi

Quote from: polkablues on June 09, 2007, 04:19:13 PM
Do you recommend them, Ravi?  "Letter" is on my list of next books to read, along with Christopher Hitchens' book.

I do recommend them.  "Letter" is Harris' response to criticism he received for The End of Faith.  The arguments in both books are simple and clear.  You can read either one first, but The End of Faith is longer than "Letter," which you can read in an hour or two.  There are a few generalizations in The End of Faith (and in "Letters") but the vast majority of the books are solid.  Harris concentrates mostly on Christianity and Islam.  I wish he would have included a chapter on Judaism, but maybe he'll tackle that in another book.  He briefly mentions Judaism in The End of Faith, but doesn't cover it as deeply as Christianity or Islam.

Hitchens probably takes a more strident tone than Harris,who himself has somewhat of a confrontational approach to religion.  I'm sure I'll read his book too.

Reinhold

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

I Don't Believe in Beatles

"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

grand theft sparrow

Bethie

I'm reading Augusten Burroughs' Dry. I'm waiting patiently for his relapse.
who likes movies anyway

Stefen

Quote from: Bethie on June 13, 2007, 01:01:00 AM
I'm reading Augusten Burroughs' Dry. I'm waiting patiently for his relapse.

haha, I just bought this yesterday at Borders cause it was on sale for like $4. I haven't read it yet. It will probably get on my nerves but it looks cool sitting on my shelf with all the other books I probablt won't read.

I've been told Homeland by Sam Lipsyte is very good and something I would enjoy, but I can never find it and I won't buy it online for reason I can't say (cause the government could be reading this) I hope to find it soon.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

The Perineum Falcon

We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Ghostboy

I read Les Mis two or three times by the time it was assigned my freshman year in high school. It's not hard. But then again, I was obsessed with the musical back then.

I'm reading this, and it's awesome:

MacGuffin

Quote from: Ghostboy on June 14, 2007, 12:31:22 AMI'm reading this, and it's awesome:

Isn't it? It's right up there with the Kubrick Archives.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

JG

just finished it.  my first mccarthy but i thought it was great.  now i desperately want to see his interview on oprah. 

Ghostboy

You can watch an extended version of it on her site. You just have to sign up for her book club.

Work your way backward through his work...you're in for a treat.

children with angels

:yabbse-thumbup: Franny and Zooey is still one of my favourite books.

Currently reading:

"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

JG

Quote from: Ghostboy on June 14, 2007, 06:34:52 PM
You can watch an extended version of it on her site. You just have to sign up for her book club.

Work your way backward through his work...you're in for a treat.

thanks, i signed up.  oprah asked pretty boring questions, especially considering the circumstance, but mccarthy behaved exactly as i wanted him to.  the punctuation bit was enlightening though.  anyways, i already have all the pretty horses so that is going to be next.  after this: 

this is going to be my summer of reading all the literature i should have been reading during high school.  its  my first joyce, like it a lot so far. 

samsong