What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

godardian

I just finished:

...which is written by a good friend of mine.

I have gone on to:

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

context, context, context.

Raikus

Quote from: cronopio on September 27, 2006, 07:41:54 PM

content, by rem koolhaas.
Also known as the first book to ever trigger epileptic seizures.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

godardian

I just breezed through the Vachon book in 36 hours (including work and homework time). What a read! Super-intellectual? No. But so rich in information and--not least--gossip. It's like Us Weekly for Todd Haynes and Mary Harron fans. Brilliant. I'm now on to:

and of course:

...which includes Paul Schrader's fascinating "Film Canon" article.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

last days of gerry the elephant

I'm half-way into it, I thought it would be better for some reason but at least it has some good historical facts. I'm sure most of you have read it by now.

The Perineum Falcon

We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Garam

I've never seen that cover before. It's very nice. Makes a nice change from the dull minimalist covers that come with most 'classic' books these days. This sort of thing:

zzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZ...

Readin' 'Money: A Suicide Note' by Martin Amis at the moment. It's funny, but Marty can be a bit heavy-handed on the satires sometimes. It's more noticable in this than in London Fields or Success.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Pubrick on October 12, 2006, 03:16:22 AM
who you gonna kill?
A Beatle lost in New York.

Quote from: Garam on October 12, 2006, 06:33:40 AM
I've never seen that cover before. It's very nice. Makes a nice change from the dull minimalist covers that come with most 'classic' books these days.
Yeah, it's a wonderful design. They had the hardcover, too. If it weren't much more money than I was willing to spend, I would've gotten it.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

The minimalist cover feels a lot more like the novel to me.  The one with the horse looks cool, but it looks like a book I'd find in a toybox.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pubrick

Quote from: Walrus on October 12, 2006, 12:06:17 PM
The minimalist cover feels a lot more like the novel to me.
catcher in the rye makes you feel like nothing with a bit of colour in the corner?

the horse cover at least takes a crucial part of the book and turns it into something visually arresting which will mean more after reading it. the minimalist cover is the most boring idea possible apart from removing the stupid corner. i imagine it speaks to ppl who think taking pictures of intersecting power lines is "deep, man."

it's true what they say about books and covers, but it's also not the whole truth. all else being equal, a good book with a good cover is better than a good book with a crap one.
under the paving stones.

Fjodor

Just finished:

which was great, and reminded me much of that minimalist cover book of the last few posts

but, leaving me the choice for the next book to read between:

and

it's superb so far. very, very good.
context, context, context.