What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

JG

loved it.  one of the quickest reads i've ever had, too. 

hedwig

JG

i almost bought that today...tell me when you're finished: is it worth it? 

The Red Vine

if you liked that book, you should pick up the No Direction Home companion book. made to look like a scrapbook. so great.

"a hard rain's gonna fall means something's gonna happen, man."
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

sheshothim

I REALLY liked The Great Gatsby.....not that that holds any signifigance.

I'm liking it so far. It's one of those "fucked up love stories" once again. I just love it when things don't go perfectly.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

Redlum

Quote from: JimmyGator on March 18, 2006, 01:57:39 PM

loved it.  one of the quickest reads i've ever had, too. 

Gorgeous cover.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

polkablues

Re-reading my favorite book of all time. 

I lost my original copy, with this crappy cover design:

And replaced it with one with this awesome cover design:

And am currently on the lookout for one with this cover, because it's rare and beautiful and I'd love to have it:
My house, my rules, my coffee

godardian

Finally, the quarter is over, and I have time to read FOR PLEASURE! I finished The Line of Beauty and am now on to:

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Neil

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Gamblour, that's been suggested to me, but to be honest it doesn't peak my interest at all.  Would you say it's worth a read anyway?  It's not a priority since I know so little about it, but if you think it'd have universal appeal or anything, I might be more apt to check it out.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

JG

Man I loved the things they carried.  i don't read enough, but that is the one book of fiction that i truly love from the past 15 years.  that one passage at the end about the girl ...  :bravo: i gotta re-read that sometime. 

polkablues

Quote from: JimmyGator on March 28, 2006, 03:27:43 PM
Man I loved the things they carried.  i don't read enough, but that is the one book of fiction that i truly love from the past 15 years.  that one passage at the end about the girl ...  :bravo: i gotta re-read that sometime. 

Read In the Lake of the Woods, too.  They flip back and forth between which is my all-time favorite.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gamblour.

Quote from: Walrus on March 28, 2006, 02:51:24 PM
Gamblour, that's been suggested to me, but to be honest it doesn't peak my interest at all.  Would you say it's worth a read anyway?  It's not a priority since I know so little about it, but if you think it'd have universal appeal or anything, I might be more apt to check it out.

Are you talking about the French New Wave book? It's alright, it's for a class, but the course packet we have is much better. It's a collection of articles and essays about certain films and directors. I would say just watch every movie possible, and then find scholarly writings. Also, for future reference (and because I didn't know this until recently) it's "pique" not "peak".

Now I'm reading (and HIGHLY recommend both)

and
WWPTAD?

pete

the reading got a little more urgent as I somehow developed dehydration within the last two days.  that's right, I've been sitting at home and drinking gatorade for a while now.  I thought it was fever at first so I made myself sweat for a day until today when I realized all symptoms pointed to dehydration so I'd been force feeding myself juice and gatorade.  since dehydration is like a symptom of cholera, I feel like I can identify a lil' bit more closely with the hero's pain.  that and being dumped.  two for two.  oh, we also both playing the violin.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton