What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

polkablues

Can Cronopio borrow that when you're done?
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reinhold

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

squints

i bought this a month ago and read it in a day i'm going through it a second time

and i'm almost done with this...

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Reinhold

how is man without a country? i just read mother night, a story about a man with no country-- are the two stories related?
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

polkablues

Quote from: permanent username on December 24, 2005, 01:08:29 PM
how is man without a country? i just read mother night, a story about a man with no country-- are the two stories related?

It's not a novel, just a collection of non-fiction articles.  It's closer to "Palm Sunday" (his "autobiographical collage") than to anything else he's written.  It's good, though.  The man could write phone books and make them entertaining.
My house, my rules, my coffee

squints

does vonnegut have a place in a thread? i'd like to know some xixaxers favorite vonnegut novels
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Pubrick

Quote from: squints on December 24, 2005, 03:38:42 PM
does vonnegut have a place in a thread? i'd like to know some xixaxers favorite vonnegut novels

http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=1994.0

the search button - it works.
under the paving stones.

squints

decemberlove

Ada, or Ardor - Nabokov
Anarchy, State, and Utopia - Nozick

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

JG

interesting, but not very well written. 

Brazoliange

and moby dick, but it got a bit slow.
Long live the New Flesh

Pubrick

yeah those novelizations always butcher the original movie, huh?
under the paving stones.

squints

Redlum

Journey to the Centre of the Earth - Jules Vern

Supoib. Along with a load of other cheap penguin classics I bought, to be eligible for super-saver delivery. If you're ever a £1/$1 short these make double the bargain.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas