"Being There"

Started by filmcritic, June 22, 2003, 07:21:30 PM

filmcritic

Does anyone remember "Being There" from back in 1979 with Peter Sellers? It was a wonderful film and was directed by Hal Ashby. If anyone remembers it (which may not be many), post your thoughts below. By the way, the music is really enchanting throughout the film, but I can't find it anywhere including Kazaa Lite. Can someone please put a link to a website or make an mp3 of it and send it to me?
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

modage

i wanted to like this movie. and i have read many others here like it.  but i just found it too slow, and not funny enough.  its one of Pete Yorns favorite movies.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

filmcritic

I understand what you mean. I actually liked the pace and found it to be a real classic, but it's probably not for everyone. Some may find it too slow and others may think it's just boring.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

bonanzataz

last night i went to jones beach for a concert with some friends and it had been raining earlier and one of them brought an umbrella. the show ended and we decided to go out on the beach and it was low tide so i'm walking in all the puddles pretending to be walking on the water with the umbrella over my shoulder just like Mr. Chauncy Gardener. None of my friends got it and then i accidentally broke the umbrella. oops.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Keener

It's been a few years but I loved back when I saw it. I want the DVD.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

life_boy

Great film!  I'm glad to hear someone else likes it a lot.  I love Sellers performance.  He was a great actor.  As for the music, I'm not sure what music you're referring to (the score?) but the Disco Sprach Zarathustra song was done by a Brazillian DJ named Deodato.  If you can't find it now that you know his name (if that is indeed what you're looking for), just PM me with your email address and I'll send you the mp3.

jokerspath

I wanted to like this movie as well, mostly because he was a fucking genius and I was told it was Sellars' last.  I ended up liking it on a personal level (as opposed to a critical level), but finding it a bit sorrowful knowing he died shortly after...

The ending is neat too...

I also read recently that this is Thom Yorke's favorite film...

aw

ps-The white man's got
           a god complex
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

SoNowThen

I really love the lighting is this film. And the set design. The dark browns, and stuff like that.... kinda evokes bits of Magnolia for me.

Although it's not on my top 50 list, I love this movie because it's one of the few films where, if you show it to a even halfway intelligent friend, you get hours of good discussion after. And Peter Sellers, to basically play the same mood for the entire film... pretty amazing!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

filmcritic

"Life is a state of mind" is the last line and a real classic one!
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert