INLAND EMPIRE

Started by MacGuffin, May 11, 2005, 04:50:02 PM

MacGuffin

Justin Theroux Dishes on David Lynch's Inland Empire     
Source: Now Playing Magazine

He may be moonlighting on screens alongside Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx in this week's big screen re-up of Miami Vice, but Justin Theroux has another movie coming out this year that in some circles is even more hotly anticipated — namely, David Lynch's Inland Empire, the visionary filmmaker's first big screen work since 2001's Oscar-nominated Mulholland Drive.

"I love it!" exclaims Theroux when asked about the film and his experience on it, which involved breaks of several days while he was simultaneously on call for Miami Vice duty. "It's loosely a mystery [but] I have no idea what kind of movie we're going to have," says Theroux in an exclusive interview with Now Playing from the editing bay of his directorial debut, Dedication. "As far as what the movie is about, I could rattle off a couple scenes, but it's difficult to describe. I play an actor who sort of gets cast in a large movie, and in that movie I play a Southern gentleman, and that's about all I know. And then there are tons of scenes within that, but I don't know how he's going to use those scenes, you know?" Theroux estimates the director could have literally hundreds of hours of usable footage.

While Lynch always exerts an exacting stylistic control over his films that often renders flat narrative description or attempted plot synopses rather moot, the tightly controlled and digital video-shot Inland Empire production marks a further descent into the type of beautiful, slurry mystery the director indulged after Mulholland Drive — in which Theroux also starred — morphed from a failed ABC television pilot into a stand-alone feature film. Eschewing a completed screenplay, he instead parceled out bits days before filming. "David never really gave us a script, he just gave us scenes, these little 10-page packets," recalls Theroux. "And then we'd go home and he'd hand us another one at the end of the night, or hand us three at a time. But they sometimes seemed really linked and sometimes didn't. So the actual process [of filming] seemed probably very similar to what it's going to be like to watch it, which involves sort of having to link it together as you go."

Regardless, it's the experience itself that Theroux most cherishes. "Working with David is probably the best time you'll ever have in your life," he notes. "Contrary to what anyone might think, when you're making a David Lynch movie you don't feel like you're making a David Lynch movie; you feel like you're making a Farrelly brothers movie or something. He's just a really, really fun guy to be around, and everyone that he works around and hires is just a blast. So you just go and have a goof and get serious for the work, but the rest is just gravy. It was really fun."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

I Don't Believe in Beatles

According to IMDB, this is 168 minutes long!
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

Sunrise

Quote from: Ginger on August 01, 2006, 06:54:51 PMAccording to IMDB, this is 168 minutes long!

The more Lynch the better...

Quote from: polkablues on July 29, 2006, 02:18:30 PM"No good movie is too long, just as no bad movie is short enough."

I Don't Believe in Beatles

"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

Astrostic

INLAND EMPIRE will be a part of the 2006 New York Film Festival according to http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4943

The Inland Empire
David Lynch, France / USA
A Polish woman looks, intently, into someone or something ... an actress (Laura Dern) is warned that her new movie is cursed ... a rabbit-headed family perform sit-com actions on a stage set as if engaged in a solemn ritual ... Such are just a few of the elements and recurrent motifs of The Inland Empire, a mesmerizing surge through countless looking glasses that lands us on the far side of the land of nightmares. Lynch's first foray into high-definition video is just as visually stunning as his work in 35mm, but the long gestation period of his new film (he shot on and off over two years, and wrote as he went) has allowed him to give his own uniquely epic form to many of his primary concerns: the exploitation of young women, the mutability of identity, the omnivorousness of Hollywood.

the festival runs from sept. 29 to oct. 15 and tickets go on sale to the general public on sept. 10.  anyone else going? I'm going to school in Boston so I'm definitely going to be making the trip for this.  Pan's Labyrinth is the Closing night film, which, like everyone else who's seen it, I really recommend.

modage

HOLY FUCK!!!  i NEED to get tickets to this!

as you'll recall (from the Most Anticipated Films of 2006 thread)...

Quote from: modage on January 01, 2006, 07:54:50 PM
1. Inland Empire
because lynch has attained kubrick-like God status for me.  (what a difference a few years makes!)  when i first came to xixax, lynch was the only one of the directors with forums who i was not already in love with.  but after seeing all his films (and especially his show Twin Peaks) i became a convert.  so even though i saw Mulholland Drive in the theatre a few years ago i had no idea how special that was until much later.  so now, i'm dying for whats next.  a new lynch movie will trump all others this year, and the fact it's so 'secretive' makes it even more desirable.  i hope it finds a release before 07.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

JG

Quote from: Astrostic on August 17, 2006, 02:17:00 PM
I'm going to school in Boston so I'm definitely going to be making the trip for this.  Pan's Labyrinth is the Closing night film, which, like everyone else who's seen it, I really recommend.

I might just have to make the trip as well.  Fung Wah bus anyone? 

Astrostic

Pubrick

Quote from: Astrostic on August 17, 2006, 02:17:00 PM
a rabbit-headed family perform sit-com actions on a stage set as if engaged in a solemn ritual
so he's recycling Rabbits? that would be cool to see it as part of something bigger..
under the paving stones.

sickfins

anyone know if this is playing at the toronto international film festival?

MacGuffin

Quote from: sickfins on August 18, 2006, 05:39:20 PM
anyone know if this is playing at the toronto international film festival?

I don't think it's scheduled to, but the complete list of films screened will be released on the 22nd.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

the film is 168 min and will screen Oct 8th and 9th at the NYFF.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

newer pic:

where is the poster...

modage

according to Rolling Stone this will premiere at the Venice Film Festival on Sept 6th and will "open this fall"

JG

open wide before the nyff? 

if not, i'm there.