I Am Curious Yellow/Blue Criterion DVD

Started by Finn, February 16, 2005, 10:08:12 AM

Finn

Does anybody have this dvd box set or seen the movies? I'm interested in seeing it but I don't know hardly anything about it. I know it has a nice box set, it was very controversial at the time of it's release and it apparently had explicit sex scenes. I think Ebert hated it but I can't find  anyone else's opinion of it.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Gold Trumpet

I own it. When I watched the first one, I hated it too. It was too heavy of a political film in the worst way. An example is that the film would throw in scenes of her interviewing people on the problems of Sweden through out the film to just be political. As an interlude to other things, those scenes would have been fine, but this ingrediant was was one of the main ones and basis of interest for a good part of the film. It just made the rest of film seem that more amatuer.

Then recently I saw the second film. I was trying to just complete the series to say I did. I ended up loving it. The focus felt more personal towards the protaganist and really clicked with all the experimentation. This is likely because the film didn't hang off those cheap political scenes that were suppose to be moving. The second one is highly recommended and who knows, I may even revisit the first. I'm pretty certain in my opinion though.

planet_jake

I actually really like the two films. But they certainly test a modern viewers patrience... I'm sure they were perfectly innovative in late 1960's Sweden, But I think as an audience member I want more then discussion and interview reguarding late 1960's Swedish politics...