A Woman is a Woman DVD?

Started by tpfkabi, September 21, 2003, 09:54:24 PM

tpfkabi

for a while i know i've wanted to get another one of Godard's early films. i've seen that you can get most relatively cheap through Fox Lorber.

the reviews of this film made it seem really interesting, but when i went to pricegrabber.com, i found out it's apparently OOP?

what's the deal with this........it just came out a year ago?

anyone know anything about it, where i might get it (price not jacked up)
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pwaybloe

I hate to tell you this, but I can't find it new either.  You can find it used, but be prepared to pay $30+ for it.  Obviously, that's not worth it.

Related, I bought "My Life To Live" for $8.99 on //www.deepdiscountdvd.com.  They have lots in stock.  I checked for you.  I also cleaned up your room.  Boy, you're messy.

SoNowThen

Great, I've been asking about this dvd for fucking months and nobody replied....

ANyway... I've heard the lorber vhs version is just as good as the dvd. You might wanna wait, as this one just had a recent theatrical run and could possibly see a new dvd release for 2004. But nothing confirmed...

It is a great movie, imo.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

tpfkabi

yes, didn't Contempt come out on Criterion after a theater run?

i saw My Life to Live on the very site you mentioned......actually that's what i was looking at first because i just read Ebert's The Great Movies, and it was in there......Woman just sounds "cooler"......it's in color and partly musical

is My Life to Live in color?

come wash my clothes.

Gold Trumpet

Criterion 2004 likely.

~rougerum

SoNowThen

Serious?!

I could kiss Mulvaney!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: bigideas...i saw My Life to Live on the very site you mentioned......actually that's what i was looking at first because i just read Ebert's The Great Movies, and it was in there......Woman just sounds "cooler"......it's in color and partly musical

is My Life to Live in color?

come wash my clothes.

If I had to pick between the two, I would pick "Woman."  It's much more odd and much more fun.  

"My Life to Live" has a lot of great stuff, but just kind of rambles to an ending.  The scene where Karina walks through the hotel, room to room, is the best part of the movie, though.  

It's in B & W.

Give me some quarters.  I ain't doing this for free, y'know.

tpfkabi

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetCriterion 2004 likely.

~rougerum

and you say this because? sources? leaks?

Gold Trumpet

I say this because because of the Rialto theatrical release and how it has been worked out that the usual difference between a rialto theatrical release and a Criterion dvd release, (maybe added with delays) is around 8 months. Even with that barometer, this places the film well into a 2004 release situation. Also, Godard is a premeire filmmaker for Criterion and sales and he can fit into a Kurosawa situation as well in them trying to release at least one picture a year by him especially now with Rialto they have some of his films to use and A Woman is a Woman may be the most desired of Godard's in that specific vault. The timing of from Rialto to Criterion only was really off when Rialto released Contempt in 1998 and that dvd appeared in 2001, but this is the minority by far.

~rougerum

tpfkabi

i have no idea what Rialto is. is there a website where i can read about what you talked about (like what other films are to be theatrically released)?

Gold Trumpet

http://www.rialtopictures.com/

The website of course doesn't say when a movie is going to hit dvd, this just came through other people and how they averaged it all out given previous films. It does show other movies Rialto is releasing and is used as a good indicator of possible future Criterion dvds.

~rougerum

tpfkabi

thanks for the link.

so do they actually do the restoring?

i got to see a print of Contempt last fall. i remember some parts where it was really messed up, but i guess this was a print from 98?