Now Playing

Started by Mesh, May 15, 2003, 05:18:24 PM

jenkins

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

jenkins

are there fans of the legend of billie jean here? been told it's a classic but it's new to me. deserves to be a classic imo

(imdb lol: Pat Benatar states at her concerts before belting into "Invincible", "This is from the worst movie ever made.")

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

jenkins

waxahatchee covering guided by voices

max from fearless

Best album i've heard in a very long time...

max from fearless

Lottery

Yeah, I've been listening to Black Messiah for the last few days. It's quite impressive. It's very familiar in some ways and at the same time, the arrangements and melodies are really different from the norm. It's not overly clean, it has a unique character. I dig it.

max from fearless

I agree Lottery. I've also been impressed by the layering of tracks and the song structures, the way songs go back on themselves, or go off in unexpected places. Also D's voice and his understanding of how to really exploit a groove, is second to none (at this point in time). I'm really feeling it.

max from fearless

Rocking this album and Black Messiah (last thing I wanted to say on D's voice - is the way he uses it like an instrument, that adds another tone to the sonic stew, gives it another emotional dimension, and de-emphasizes being able to hear the words in favour of the flavour his voice brings to that particular track/moment. If I remember rightly Thom Yorke did this really well on Kid A too) anyways Theo Parrish is probably the greatest DJ on earth, and his music is pretty neat too. Don't know if there are any Detroit techno/house/funk/soul/rap fans in the xixax house???

Garam

yep! Seen that guy live in Edinburgh, drunkenly spewed something at him. When I eventually do my lifelong ambition of circumnavigating N.America i will be making a Detroit detour for sure. Do you go to those kind of nights in Lahndan?

edit. needs more music

Lottery

Was surprised to see that Stott album end up on a whole bunch of end of year lists. Violence is a fantastic track.

Garam

yeah it's great. His Millie and Andrea collab with Miles from Demdike Stare was amazing too, that was out early in the year i think. Or late 13

I saw Andy Stott at Fabric in February. One of the heaviest sets i've ever seen. Made my friend throw up.

edit: another video to take it away from Stott. Lee Gamble:

max from fearless

Garam - yeah, used to go to Theo's residency at Plastic People (best club in the world, maybe) in shoreditch (aka wankerville) every month and just saw him play 2 weeks ago at The Hydra in Wapping with fellow Detroit co-horts, Marcellus Pittman and Jay Daniel. He's one of the best DJ's in the world, shame you had to puke on him.