Dolor y Gloria

Started by wilder, January 31, 2019, 06:02:27 PM

wilder

Written and Directed by Pedro Almodovar
Starring Penelope Cruz , Antonio Banderas, Asier Etxeandía, and Julieta Serrano
Release Date - October 4, 2019

jenkins

personally i haven't been impressed by criticisms against the movie, and critics loving it are loving it. considering this a lot to look forward to, which is how i would have wanted to consider it, so good.

wilder

Pedro Almodóvar cuts straight to the heart with his intensely personal latest, which finds the great Spanish filmmaker tapping into new reservoirs of introspection and emotional warmth. Antonio Banderas deservedly won the Best Actor award at this year's Cannes Film Festival for his miraculous, internalized portrayal of Salvador Mallo, a director not too subtly modeled on Almodóvar himself, whose growing health problems—including tinnitus, migraines, and spinal pain—and creative block have initiated a midlife reckoning. Moving in and out of time, evoking Salvador's childhood in the sixties (featuring Penélope Cruz as his doting mother); his years of triumph in the eighties; and present-day Madrid, where he navigates new artistic challenges, Pain and Glory is both a moving summative statement on a career and an indication of more brilliant things to come.

jenkins

this weekend, for people not clowning around about movies. it's genuinely the critically supported one. i think fomo will take over and no one can help themselves, i understand, i can't help myself in terms of needing to see this one

jenkins

i missed it when out the door, desiring life to feel as it does in an almodóvar movie

i can't off-the-top think of another contemporary filmmaker better embodying both an understanding of and an appreciation for the sensations of art offered by life

this doesn't just look gorgeous, it feels gorgeous, and frankly this characteristic is not new to almodóvar, but he himself has grown in a vivid way this movie illustrates

having (wonderfully) veered into comedy and melodrama before, here almodóvar holds back his tears and laughter

blending reality and cinema, pain and glory employs an autofiction type of meta narrative, which almodóvar speaks about with his hospitalized mother, who says she heard about it because he mentioned it in an interview she read. and that's the way this topic is introduced, through natural life occurrences, which type of movie this is

the temporal orientation is the current life of almodóvar acted out by antononio banderas, who voice-overs about depression and health issues

an initial character is a star from a thirty-two year-old film directed by this-movie's-almodóvar

the actor inspires this-movie's-almodóvar both to reflect on his life and become addicted to heroin this is casual and still exposes the problem with heroin

a scrumptious mixture of reality and cinema, still this movie doesn't like make me want his life, that's how unglamorous and true it feels, how human it feels

asier flores plays almodóvar as a cinema-worshipping literature-obsessed child, with penélope cruz his mother; they live in a cave being restored by babe-like césar vicente, whom young-almodóvar teaches to read and write

the narrative shape folds inward at the end, which i can't describe without providing an art house spoiler. what i am noting is the moving components of the narrative, its fluid gears

so now at least it's not my fault if you don't see it

Something Spanish

managed to see it twice last week, it is a sweet movie. was hoping for a more moving account of how sad life can be especially with the loss of passion for a vocation, but Almodóvar kept it real up in the field toning down the melodrama for a more subtle feeling of melancholy tinged with happenstance. a lot of the movie is about how life's turns happen through mere chance encounters, with most of the movie's turns working beautifully. Desperado was really good, haven't seen many of his Spanish language work outside of Almodóvar, but he showed some thick chops here. was probably a bit too hyped to love it as much as most, hoping for a more potent word than sweet to summarize it, but that's the feeling it ultimately imparted.

WorldForgot

Rodaje Paradiso, instead of Cinema, per say.
Creation as vice and desire.

And I loved the callback to Almodovar's days in drag.

El primer deseo es algo inocente <3

jenkins

Quote from: WorldForgot on October 29, 2019, 08:05:40 PM
Rodaje Paradiso, instead of Cinema, per say.
Creation as vice and desire.

And I loved the callback to Almodovar's days in drag.

El primer deseo es algo inocente <3

oh wow. put it in the bank