This place is BIPOLAR.

Started by Stefen, July 31, 2008, 10:27:58 AM

Pas

yeah I guess we can revert to the original title :(

cine

Pas

haha what a come down after the Master news... I think that's the fewest number of post ever in the last couple days.

the 4-5 new posts per day are like 3 lines long (and two of em's by me.)

cine

picolas

Pas

that explains! sucks for you guys.

if that can motivate you, I have a B.A. in finance and half a masters in linguistics and I make 13$/hour. yƩ!

nah just foolin I was makin twice as much before but I quit the job out of laziness. doh. love the new job tho.

polanski's illegitimate baby

I think this board needs to get on some advertising to get more funding as the whole donation thing is kind of discouraging. I mean, who wants to be a part of a forum whose fate is uncertain. People expect free shit so that's pretty much a default for any online community nowadays. Also, this board should be more exclusive in its discussion topics. I am not sure why Jennifer's Body is worth discussing even after just watching half of the trailer. People come here for guidance, critique and suggestions in the art of cinema, instead many, myself included, ends up talking shit about mainstream from the big six. When i first registered in 05 the ethos was better and forum had definitely more authority. The search function doesn't work for shit.
every time you find yourself reading this, think of other great things you could be doing... :)

Gold Trumpet

The only difference between now and any past year on this board is that in the past there were more people frequently posting. Were those times more about the art of cinema? I don't think so. Even back in the heyday of Xixax people complained about how this board wasn't as good as the original C&C board. The original board sucked to me but there is an obsession on this board with things always being greener on the other side. I've thought about this and the only difference between now and before is that more people posted. If we got more contributors, there would be more discussion, but it would still be a mixture of art and popular entertainment (with the latter always winning out in post count). Besides PTA, the films I remember getting the most discussion on this board amongst the majority were the Matrix movies. It seemed everyone here had an in depth theory about that trilogy and the discussion went on forever.

Actually, I think these days are better because people are older and saying better things about film. I got my best discussions on this board years ago, but now that I look back, I hate a lot of things I said. It isn't because I was just wrong, but because I was just too young to know better yet. When you're young and posting on a forum, you can't help but run into naive assumptions and bad ideas. We all did, but I've seen this board mature a lot so when people do express themselves now, there are better things being said.

We have to stop kidding ourselves about this board's past. People like Godardian and Budgie cannot be replaced, but they were always exceptions to the majority interest anyways.

And this post isn't so much a reply to Polanski, but a general thought to lots of past talk.

Stefen

Even with the small userbase, this place still talks about more quality cinema than any other place I frequent. You can bump a Haneke Noe thread and be sure to get some responses. Same can't be said for other places. If anyone knows any other boards like this I'm all years.

The Top 25 of the Decade thread is a great thread and really shows how great this userbase is.

My favorite thing about frequenting this board for years is how intune with eachothers tastes we all are.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Stefen on January 25, 2010, 01:51:36 AM
Even with the small userbase, this place still talks about more quality cinema than any other place I frequent. You can bump a Haneke Noe thread and be sure to get some responses. Same can't be said for other places. If anyone knows any other boards like this I'm all years.

The Top 25 of the Decade thread is a great thread and really shows how great this userbase is.

My favorite thing about frequenting this board for years is how intune with eachothers tastes we all are.

Everything there sounds true to my ears. Maybe I was embellishing with the entertainment > art ratio, but I think we still need to promote more discussion of these great filmmakers and films. I think too many posters are still happy to leave their comments at the door of discussion and keep it to a thumbs up or thumbs down voting.

Stefen

I wish more newbies would integrate themselves into the board. I get that we're not the nicest when it comes to welcoming new members, but stick with it and you'll fit right in. I get the feeling most new posters just give up because of the (non)welcome they receive.

I was hoping getting mentioned on The Playlist would bring some new blood but that didn't happen.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pas

what's also fun is that since there's not a lot of posters each of us is an important character of our little xixax family haha. It's nice to feel at home on a board, nowhere else except real home can I talk so much shit and get away with it.

children with angels

It's not about 'art vs. entertainment', it's about how interesting the things people want to say about either are.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

polanski's illegitimate baby

It's interesting that i've seen some older members mention how unwelcome this board may seem. Is that like a cool thing around here? I am not trying to patronize anyone with my suggestions. But, i think the board should be exclusive in its taste, not in its member base.
every time you find yourself reading this, think of other great things you could be doing... :)