Best Supporting Female Performance

Started by Jeremy Blackman, February 25, 2005, 08:31:50 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Best Supporting Female Performance: Cate Blanchett in THE AVIATOR

THE NOMINEES

Cate Blanchett (THE AVIATOR)
Kirsten Dunst (ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND)
Laura Linney (KINSEY)
Virginia Madsen (SIDEWAYS)
Darryl Hannah (KILL BILL VOL. 2)

ono

Haven't seen The Aviator so I can't comment too much, but I thought Laura Linney was really great in Kinsey.  Uma was good in a bad movie.  That shouldn't hurt her too much, but with Madsen also in the running, it was anyone's game.  I've heard Blanchett's Hepburn is uncanny, so I am looking forward to that.

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?

matt35mm

... I still want Virginia Madsen to win, but everything seems to be going Blanchett's way.  I LOVE Blanchett, and thought she was great in this movie, and she deserves to have an Academy Award, but she IS so consistently good that I'm not worried about her coming along again with another great role and nomination.

I just don't think that this was the BEST of the year.  I think Madsen was better.  Madsen's performance FIT Sideways and grooved with Giamatti's performance, whereas Blanchett stole her scenes away from the other actors.  Or rather, she won those scenes by being so awesome, but I personally prefer a performance that fits the movie, and Madsen's does a better job of that for me.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Film Student

Okay, once again, I may be out of line saying this since I didn't vote, but are you people on crack?!  Cate Blanchett is a great actress, but impersonating and acting are two different things.  I can do a great impersonation of David Brent, but that doesn't mean I'm a great actor.  I'm a shitty actor.   Cate Blanchett did an amusing impersonation of Hepburn, so everyone's giving her trophies.  If she wins the Oscar tomorrow, I'm going to throw a fit.
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

RegularKarate

I would normally agree with you, FS (and I'm with you as far as Jamie Fox and Ray go), but I think what she did here was go beyond an impersonation.  It's hard to tell the difference sometimes, but I really think that's what she did with this movie.

Film Student

Fair enough.  And I suppose it could've been worse (Kirsten Dunst or Darryl Hannah could have won...shudder...).
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

Reed Rothchild

im still waiting for virginia to win for candyman
You know, people tell me I kind of look like Han Solo.

DVD Collection

ono

*checks watch*

You're late for everything, aren't you?

meatball

Like the man said, he's still waiting. Give him a break.

ono

*checks watch*

You're late for everything, aren't you?