tegan and sara

Started by Jeremy Blackman, April 12, 2005, 10:38:24 PM

Jeremy Blackman

It's a grower. And the production is magnificent.

Jeremy Blackman

I'm really liking this one too:

https://soundcloud.com/teganandsara/love-they-say-1

Apparently Greg Kurstin produced the record, so that would explain the magnificent production. It's just so precise, with all the tasteful flourishes you expect from Kurstin. Too bad the songwriting isn't there on most of the album.

From what I can tell, the best tracks are all Tegan songs (I Was A Fool, Love They Say, Closer). Sara needs to get her act together. It's not like she can't do it... She wrote I Can't Take It, Walking With A Ghost, Like O Like H, etc. She used to be, like, the more serious songwriter. But she appears to have deposited a bunch of turds on this new album. Tegan is now the stronger singer and the stronger songwriter, by a wide margin. Solo album!

I think I need to give Sainthood a second chance.

Jeremy Blackman

Super important update...

"Love They Say" has somehow continued to grow on me. That and "I Was A Fool" have got to be two of their very best songs ever, easily in the top 10.

Ugh, fine, I'll just make my top 10 right now:

1. You Wouldn't Like Me (So Jealous)
2. I Can't Take It (So Jealous)
3. Dark Come Soon (The Con)
4. Love They Say (Heartthrob)
5. Like O, Like H (The Con)
6. I Was A Fool (Heartthrob)
7. I Won't Be Left (So Jealous)
8. Don't Confess (If It Was You)
9. Walking With A Ghost (So Jealous)
10. We Didn't Do It (So Jealous)

I wasn't quite comfortable including anything from their first album. It's very raw and idiosyncratic, and fascinating for those reasons, but it's also severely an acquired taste. The strength of their songwriting is remarkable at times, despite some embarrassing lyrics. Highlights for me are "The First" and "More For Me." Also "My Number" was their hit off that album, and it's good too.

Side note, I was very wrong about this:

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on March 20, 2013, 10:21:17 PMI think I need to give Sainthood a second chance.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I'm surprised at the lack of "I Bet It Stung" in this thread.  For my money, that song is the most killer T&S jam.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Robyn