50 Greatest Tearjerkers? (SPOOOOOOILS)

Started by godardian, November 22, 2003, 02:02:00 PM

Gold Trumpet

Why did Godardian post this?

Other than that, I don't really care. Grave of the Fireflies, of course, is very worthy of that list. To disagree with a post above, I think West Side Story is one of the best films ever made. The only movie I really cried during was Hillary and Jackie. I'm not surprised it wasn't on the list at all.

RegularKarate

E.T. pulled a couple sniffles out of me, but Iron Giant... that is really the only one worthy of that list... man, when Iron Giant says "SUPERMAN!"... it's like Niagra-fucking-falls every time on this dude.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Pedro el Fascolomiscried during dancer in the dark.  no doubt about that.

ohh ya, that one deserves to be on there.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

godardian

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetWhy did Godardian post this?

Quote from: godardianI can't imagine never crying at a movie. I cry at them regularly.

Also, I thought I'd pick different movies than were on the list, and it might make an interesting discussion. I'm very invasively probing, too; I want people to post what movies made them cry, many of which probably aren't on that list.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Gold Trumpet

Yes, but I associate you as one of the 2 or 3 guys here who really hates these lists. No big deal, but I was surprised.

godardian

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetYes, but I associate you as one of the 2 or 3 guys here who really hates these lists. No big deal, but I was surprised.

I have a sick, sick love affair with lists. I hate them and know how pointless they are... but they keep pulling me back in!!!!

I guess it's fun to make lists and see what's on other people's lists as long as you don't attach too much importance or meaning to them.

Our Xixax list will be different, though. It'll seem relevant to us because we'll all have had our say in it collectively.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

The endings of "Mister Roberts", "Rocky" and "Rocky II" always make me go a rubbery one.

Quote from: RegularKarateIron Giant... that is really the only one worthy of that list... man, when Iron Giant says "SUPERMAN!"... it's like Niagra-fucking-falls every time on this dude.

"Rudy" is my equivalent.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: godardian

Our Xixax list will be different, though. It'll seem relevant to us because we'll all have had our say in it collectively.

except for these films...hard eight, boogie nights,magnolia, pdl.......

rustinglass

There was a very good TV version of madame bovary a couple of years ago that made me cry many times.ยด

The Elephant Man, yes
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Gloria

I usually don't cry during movies. I almost feel guilty if I do. I believe that this list is missing Magnolia, Little Women and Gia. I realize that Gia was a cable production, but still a 'movie.'  The part where Angelina Jolie says 'Momma' as her mom leaves the hospital room is heart-breaking.

molly

Schindler's list
What dreams may come (or sth like that)

cine

molly

Quote from: CinephileGloria...

that av is your best yet.

true. The standing pinguin pushes the other one. hahaha

MacGuffin

Quote from: GloriaI usually don't cry during movies. I almost feel guilty if I do.

Don't ever feel that way. Crying is a sure sign you connected with the movie in some way, be it the acting, the story...something. Don't deny yourself the power of a good cry, be it a simple tear or a giant snot-filled tissue.

Quote from: GloriaI believe that this list is missing Little Women.

Quote from: godardian40. Little Women

The magazine lumped both the 1933 and 1994 versions together.

Quote from: GloriaI realize that Gia was a cable production, but still a 'movie.'  The part where Angelina Jolie says 'Momma' as her mom leaves the hospital room is heart-breaking.

Completely agree. That is one very powerful "movie" and performance. It should have been theatrically released, but I'm so glad HBO did make it.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Find Your Magali

The ones from that list that really get me:

8. E.T.
10. Field of Dreams
16. Glory ("Give 'em Hell, 54!")

Rudy's ending was a bit too manipulative for me, plus I hate Notre Dame. So I think that the other sports movie slots should have gone to Rocky and/or Rocky 2.

Agreed that Grave of the Fireflies needs to be on there.

I'd also throw Monsters Inc. and Babe into the mix.