stupid fun comedies

Started by bonanzataz, July 15, 2003, 08:19:57 AM

bonanzataz

what are some comedies that many film "buffs" would stick their nose up at that are your favorites? ones that i enjoy very much:

wayne's world - tops the list, i've seen it more than 20 times
sorority boys - really funny, a shame nobody's ever seen it
billy madison - my favorite of the sandler oeuvre (like, his stupid comedies for all you PTA fanboys screaming blasphemy)
saving silverman - or anything with jack black for that matter
freddy got fingered - sheer brilliance
orgazmo - oh man, this movie is just plain funny

i can't think of others now, but i'll get back to you on that, i'm sure.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Sleuth

Well, I hate Mike Myers, but Waynes World is pretty good.

NO
Stairway to Heaven

how about Road Trip.  I think it was the funniest of the teen/college/whatever/comedy movie explosion
I like to hug dogs

jokerspath

Half Baked
Wayne's World I and II

I'm not sure if these are really looked down upon, but:
Nat. Lamp. Loaded Weapon I
Hot Shots and Hot Shots Part Deux
Naked Gun

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

TheVoiceOfNick

Orgazmo is pretty damn funny! Anything from Troma has a special place in my heart. But my favorite comedy of all time is Trading Places. That movie rocked!

Nick

SoNowThen

BASEketball
Zoolander
Billy Madison
anything with Spade (except Joe Dirt) or Farley
Made
Kingpin
Major League
Slap Shot

EDIT: yeah, Shaftr reminded me about Road Trip
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

bill and teds bogus journey
PCU
the ladies man
orange county
waynes world 1 & 2
naked gun
hot shots
airplane
dumb and dumber
kingpin
theres something about mary
wet hot american summer
zoolander

i'm not sure if any of those are revelations, but thats mostly from my movie racks.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Derek237

All of the Naked Gun movies

Both Hot Shots movies

There's Something About Mary

Old School

Dumb and Dumber

Mafia!

Scary Movie

Not Another Teen Movie

Pubrick

not yet mentioned but a personal fave:

deuce bigalow: male gigolo... the bigfoot, the cop's dick, the black pimp, 's all good.
under the paving stones.

SHAFTR

Dumb and Dumber

Road Trip

Meet the Parents

Mallrats
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

chainsmoking insomniac

Happy Gilmore
Something About Mary
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Ravi

3 Ninjas and 3 Ninjas Kick Back- I loved these movies as a kid.  They're still entertaining in a goofy sort of way.

Jeremy Blackman

Airplane is a classic.

And of course the Naked Gun & Hot Shots movies.

RegularKarate

Yeah... Nothing beats Airplane... all stupid movies following were trying to be as good, but most failed, including the sequel.

Top Secret was pretty good, same with Hot Shots (mostly Part Deux) and the first 2 Naked Guns.

Also Mel Brook's earlier shit... Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles, Young Frank...

Sleuth

Quote from: themodernage02
wet hot american summer

I didn't know that was exactly looked down upon, but I guess that's because hardly anybody has seen it.  Man it's great.  If you like WHAS and The State then check out www.stellacomedy.com
I like to hug dogs

ono

Even funnier is Roger Ebert's review of Wet Hot American Summer.

Stupid fun comedies are great.  I like Dumb and Dumber (but who doesn't?), Office Space, Ace Ventura 1 & 2, Naked Gun series, and Hot Shots, to name a few.