Velvet Buzzsaw

Started by WorldForgot, January 10, 2019, 10:15:49 AM

WorldForgot

Nightcrawler's Dan Gilroy, Jake Gyllenhaal, and Rene Russo return to serve us another artist-consumption/media-junkie dessert. With a TIGHT frkn ensemble, and maybe even some dope giallo-influence, looks like.

Quote"Velvet Buzzsaw is a thriller set in the contemporary art world scene of Los Angeles where big money artists and mega-collectors pay a high price when art collides with commerce. Jake Gyllenhaal, Rene Russo, Toni Collette, Zawe Ashton, Tom Sturridge, Natalia Dyer, Daveed Diggs, Billy Magnussen, and John Malkovich star in the new mind-bending film written and directed by Dan Gilroy."

csage97

samsong

anyone else put themselves through this?

the bar for the year's worst movie has been set pretty high (or low...) with this.  it is an atrocity.  robert elswit is either losing his touch or phoned it in big time.  there's almost nothing redeeming about this movie, though i am enjoying jake gyllenhaal's foray into strange, overaffected performances.

not worth the time.  avoid at all cost.

wilberfan

Quote from: samsong on February 09, 2019, 10:25:31 AM
anyone else put themselves through this?

I struggled, but finally gave up around the 50 minute mark or so.  Sounds like I didn't miss a thing by bailing early.

Jeremy Blackman

I was also disappointed by this. Barely works as satire and doesn't work as horror (when it gets there).

Jake Gyllenhaal, though, is doing some wonderful things these days. So I would actually say Velvet Buzzsaw is worth seeing for him. Maybe just the first half hour or so.

csage97

I'm still going to give it a chance because it's Dan Gilroy, Jake Gyllenhaal, and Robert Elswit. I'll probably watch tonight. Let's see how far I get ....

BB

Plays like a first draft, hastily written. Lost me entirely when the paintings started to move. How dumb. Could've been staged like an American giallo given the setting. Settles instead for late-period Goosebumps book.

Fuzzy Dunlop

This was bafflingly bad. I don't know how so many talented people could make something so shit. And I love Nightcrawler. Turning this off after an hour was the best decision I've made all week.