The 83rd Annual Academy Awards

Started by MacGuffin, March 25, 2010, 01:01:48 PM

malkovich

This year really sucks. I don't know why Extremely Cloying and Incredibly Bad is there other than to prove that Oscar bait is Oscar bait even if it's widely acknowledged to be crap. I'm not surprised that Drive and Melancholia and Shame got snubbed, but it still is disappointing. I didn't expect (but I'm glad) The Tree of Life got nominated for something other than cinematography. I figured those would all be too experimental for the Academy to even nominate it. I hope A Separation picks up best original screenplay along with best foreign film, which it seems to already have locked. Does Meryl Streep really need another Oscar? Does John Williams really need one too?

I may end my life if War Horse wins anything major.

socketlevel

whorehorse nomination is a lose faith kinda deal.

Quote from: Sleepless on January 24, 2012, 10:31:35 AM
Initial thoughts: Why 9 best picture nominees? I forget how that works. Nice to see TOL up for best pic and director, but doubt it will win even though I would love to see it do so. The best actress category looks pretty solid (for the Oscars). Would love to see Glenn Close win (she deserves it), but more likely it'll go to either Streep or Williams. Lasseter must be pissed Cars 2 missed out considering Rio, Panda and Boots all got a nod lol. I still have a few of the big ones to watch, but I expect the Artist to continue it's dominance as this award season's big winner.

cars 2 doesn't deserve it. neither does tintin.
the one last hit that spent you...

MacGuffin

Quote from: malkovich on January 24, 2012, 08:27:51 PM
Does Meryl Streep really need another Oscar?

How many do you think she has? She has the same amount of Oscars as Jodie Foster and Hilary Swank. And Paul Haggis.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

Quote from: socketlevel on January 24, 2012, 10:10:44 PM

Didn't expect Cars 2 to get nominated. Just though it was funny 3 other crappy CG films got nominated and Pixar didn't.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

socketlevel

Quote from: Sleepless on January 25, 2012, 09:49:28 AM
Quote from: socketlevel on January 24, 2012, 10:10:44 PM

Didn't expect Cars 2 to get nominated. Just though it was funny 3 other crappy CG films got nominated and Pixar didn't.

Nope no nomination. Rango was great! i agree with the other two CGs, just as bad.
the one last hit that spent you...

theyarelegion

SiliasRuby

What the hell? Peter Travers talks like a child. I expected someone who had class...
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Jeremy Blackman

Haha that is bizarre.

How to improve that video:

- Let Mr. Travers take a breath
- Less fake anger
- Silence that fellow who's being obnoxious in the background

diggler

Everyone seems to be doing the "crew members laugh and heckle" shtick from The Soup.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

MacGuffin

And the Oscars go to...

Best Picture: The Artist

Best Actor: Jean Dujardin, The Artist

Best Actress: Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady

Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer, Beginners

Best Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer, The Help

Best Director: Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist

Short Film (Animated): The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore

Short Film (Documentary): Saving Face

Short Film (Live Action): The Shore

Writing (Original Screenplay): Midnight In Paris

Writing  (Adapted Screenplay): The Descendants

Music (Original Song): "Man Or Muppet," The Muppets

Music (Original Score): The Artist

Visual Effects: Hugo

Animated Feature: Rango

Documentary Feature: Undefeated

Sound Mixing: Hugo

Sound Editing: Hugo

Film Editing: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Makeup: The Iron Lady

Costume Design: The Artist, Mark Bridges

Art Direction: Hugo

Cinematography: Hugo
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

O.

In a letter to the Motion Picture Academy he stated that he didn't feel himself to be in competition with other actors. However, regarding this second rejection of the Academy Award, George C. Scott famously said elsewhere, "The whole thing is a goddamn meat parade. I don't want any part of it."
superb

pete

I'm sorry, I don't understand - was your story about george c scott, or were you writing about somebody else, and then introducing george c scott in the middle as a reference to the first "he" you were writing about?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Jeremy Blackman

I think the real story here is Billy Crystal. More specifically, that Billy Crystal needs to go away and never come back. If Brett Ratner had just kept his mouth shut, we could have instead enjoyed a more subtle ceremony hosted by Eddie Murphy.

Billy Crystal's wackity-shmackity song-and-dance routine (as Stephen Thompson preemptively called it) was the most cringe-worthy thing I've seen since Coldplay performed on SNL with Chris Martin writhing awkwardly in glow-in-the-dark clothing. Actually it was worse. He looked like he was forcing himself to do it... like he expected it of himself, but his soul was shriveling up inside his body as a consequence.

What really got me — perhaps because it happened throughout the entire ceremony — was the thing he does after every joke. He pauses for laughter, staring into the camera with that goofy fake serious look, as if carving out that space will itself create laughter... then he abruptly toggles to an entirely unearned self-congratulatory dopey smirk. It's the most annoying thing this side of Macy Gray.

Stefen

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on February 27, 2012, 01:35:35 AMBilly Crystal's wackity-shmackity song-and-dance routine (as Stephen Thompson preemptively called it) was the most cringe-worthy thing I've seen since Coldplay performed on SNL with Chris Martin writhing awkwardly in glow-in-the-dark clothing. Actually it was worse. He looked like he was forcing himself to do it... like he expected it of himself, but his soul was shriveling up inside his body as a consequence.

What really got me — perhaps because it happened throughout the entire ceremony — was the thing he does after every joke. He pauses for laughter, staring into the camera with that goofy fake serious look, as if carving out that space will itself create laughter... then he abruptly toggles to an entirely unearned self-congratulatory dopey smirk. It's the most annoying thing this side of Macy Gray.

I was jaded after my first academy awards viewing, too.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.