The stupidest thing you've heard someone say about a movie..

Started by CollinBullock, March 29, 2003, 02:00:00 PM

Ravi

I overheard someone talking the other day about some guy who doesn't watch films more than once because he already knows what's going to happen.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: RaviI overheard someone talking the other day about some guy who doesn't watch films more than once because he already knows what's going to happen.

COUGH Pauline Kael COUGH

Xixax

My best friend is famous for saying that "American Beauty has absolutely no redeeming value" and he still rants about being pissed off for giving $7.50 to see it.

Pretty dumb statement in my book.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

snaporaz

Quote from: XixaxMy best friend is famous for saying that "American Beauty has absolutely no redeeming value" and he still rants about being pissed off for giving $7.50 to see it.

Pretty dumb statement in my book.

that's pretty much of an opposing opinion, not really a dumb statement. maybe if you ask him why he thinks that way, he'll spit out the good stuff.

CollinBullock

I hate it when people think because they liked "American Beauty" they are film buffs, and like edgy movies.
Reality is extraordinary.  Unfourtanetly, the best parts don't make good movies - Terry Gilliam

cowboykurtis

Quote from: CollinBullockI hate it when people think because they liked "American Beauty" they are film buffs, and like edgy movies.

who gives a flying fuck. time is better wasted on things of consequence. is it any different than someone watching eraserhead and thinking they're film buffs and like edgy movies? who really gives a shit.
...your excuses are your own...

Ernie

Quote from: RaviI overheard someone talking the other day about some guy who doesn't watch films more than once because he already knows what's going to happen.

Oh god, I hate people like that. I just do not fucking get the logic of that. There are so many movies that I couldn't live without watching over and over again...it's like therapy.

©brad

some chicks (hot chicks) was watchin braveheart the other day, and i strolled in all cool and stuff, and when the ending credits came one of them went "wait, how could mel gibson direct the movie if he was in it?" i laughed.

EL__SCORCHO

This isn't really about a specific film, but it kind of involves films, and I wanted to post it here because I just couldn't believe my ears when I heard this.

I'm sitting right behind a guy and a girl in my cinematography class this morning and the guy really knows his shit. He rattled off a bunch of info on cameras and lenses and you can tell he's had more experience with shooting film than anyone in the class.

After the guy stopped talking, I overheard the girl in back of me say this:

GIRL
How do you know all that stuff?

GUY
Oh you know, I've shot some stuff and I've been reading a lot about different cameras.

GIRL
WOW, you're really taking this whole film school thing seriously? Thats amazing. That's Soooooo cool!

ProgWRX

Quote from: EL__SCORCHO

After the guy stopped talking, I overheard the girl in back of me say this:

GIRL
How do you know all that stuff?

GUY
Oh you know, I've shot some stuff and I've been reading a lot about different cameras.

GIRL
WOW, you're really taking this whole film school thing seriously? Thats amazing. That's Soooooo cool!

Ohhhhhhh man  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  What I wouldnt do to slap that bitch !!!! Here I am WISHING I were taking cinematography classes and UGHHHHHH  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:
-Carlos

godardian

I absolutely can't tolerate it when people use the word "weird" to describe a film they didn't like (or did, for that matter). That word is completely useless. It means nothing. It implies that there's one sort of film everyone agrees is standard and "normal," and then there's everything else. It's truly sub-mental.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

USTopGun47

Very true Godardian.  I think the worst response I've ever encountered was the end of PDL.  As soon as those beautiful colors started flowing to the waltzes my ears were met with a barage of "That was the worst movie I've ever seen!"  "Oh my god, thank Jesus it's over!"  And I just sit there wanting to jump up in the row behind me and weild an axe.  Oh.... only if people could understand and become more intelligent on these matters... aghhh the aggrivation.
I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.

Sleuth

about PDL:  "Wasn't that the gayest comedy you've ever seen?"
I like to hug dogs

Cecil

Quote from: ProgWRXOhhhhhhh man  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  What I wouldnt do to slap that bitch !!!! Here I am WISHING I were taking cinematography classes and UGHHHHHH  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

and if you were, youd be taking cinematography classes but youd also be stuck with those people

dufresne

snaporaz would probably agree with me when i say i hate when people say they love movies specifically because the movie was a "mindfuck!"
There are shadows in life, baby.