who embodies your style?

Started by Jeremy Blackman, December 30, 2003, 12:36:05 AM

Jeremy Blackman

Whether it's writing, directing, filming, or conceiving, what filmmakers are most aligned to your way of thinking?

For me, Pedro Almodovar and Todd Solondz are pretty close.

ono

Anderson, Kubrick, and Altman, hopefully.  And probably a little Lynch, Bunuel, and Solondz, too.  But I've been reading a lot of interviews with directors lately, most notably some whose films I've seen very few or none of, like Eastwood, Cronenberg, and Coppola.  All of these and more have stuff to offer, elements that I would love have to influence the way I write.  Bottom line, I have a whole pool of influences working subconsciously.  It's unavoidable for anyone who loves films.

cine

Conceiving: Eric Idle and John Cleese
Writing: Woody Allen and Mel Brooks
Directing: Luis Bunuel and Ingmar Bergman
Filming: Robert Altman and Martin Scorsese
And the ones with the 'total package': Stanley Kubrick and Federico Fellini

Pubrick

fun question for ppl who know who they are, jb!

and it's interesting that u chose effeminate directors.

before alejandro gonzález iñárritu, i felt that only robert bresson displayed any sort of real spiritualism in film. so those 2 definitely for that reason. uncompromised spirituality. i think i can understand every decision iñárritu makes.

he already has, but when chris cunningham officially comes around, he'll make the list for the opposite reason. how he externalizes the internal, evident in his many anthropomorphic experiments. he's doing sumthing quite special which is both at the centre, and on the surface of what those other guys are doing.

anyway, i like that idea.
under the paving stones.

Ghostboy

There are a lot of directors who influence me, of course, but I think the ones who I've fallen the closest to (or at least think I have) are Kubrick and Kieslowski -- the themes they dealt with and the style in which they handled it most accurately reflects the stuff I try to do. I'd say Lynch, too, since I do like a touch of surrealism, but it'd probably be more accurate to refer to Bunuel in this case. Anyway, those who saw 'Still' MAYBE can see where I'm coming from with this...or maybe not. There are tons of other directors who I see echoes of in my own work, too...but that's always going to be the case as you develop your own style.

Minor ego trip time: hopefully, someday, people will be asking this same question on a future messageboard and all our names will be the answers.

kotte

Coens.

Writes stories set in a highten reality.

SoNowThen

Paul Schrader

I love the marriage of the spiritual and the profane. As P said about Inarritu, I seem to understand everything Schrader does -- I always get where he's coming from. Also, I have the ability to write a really amazing script that I totally wreck in the shooting and editing because I'm technically incompetent.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Link

I would have to say...myself  :wink:

Alethia

with the thing I am writing right now, it's a weird mix of leone, hawks, and peckinpah....with the other script I have been working on for quite some time now....david gordon green and  truffaut

SoNowThen

hmm, now that I've had time to think about it, the other guy who I would say I feel pretty connected to is Bertrand Tavernier (from the two films of his I've seen).

so I'd be pretty stoked if a critic wrote a review where he called me a cross between Schrader and Tavernier...

lalala just daydreaming
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Alethia

Quote from: SoNowThenBertrand Tavernier

what films has he done?

SoNowThen

Ones I've seen:

'Round Midnight
Coup De Torchon

Ones I wanna see: Clockmaker of St Paul, Safe Conduct, Sunday In The Country, Deathwatch, The Judge and the Assassin, Fresh Bait.

Weak2ndAct

Despite the presence of Harvey Keitel and Harry Dean Stanton, Death Watch is a crummy movie.  Summed up by a friend... 'Shit Watch'

picolas

i think it's appauling that anyone would even remotely consider naming their child Shit Watch.

writing-wise, it's the coens. if you have strong characters and a good story, the movie will be good. pretty simple.

not sure, directing-wise.. that's a tough one. i'd like to think i'm heading in an aronofsky-tino direction... dunno.

MacGuffin

I think mine depends on the story I'm writing, but I do find myself taking more of Atom Egoyan's style with his use of playing with the time line structure. Also, all praise be to Billy Wilder.

Directing-wise, I like Woody Allen's approach of setting that camera down and let the story play out. But I like Scorsese's style of photography (composition) and editing, as well as Leone's, who says a lot with just pictures. And I'm drawn to Hitchcock's subject matter.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks