The Official Twin Peaks Thread (TOTPT)

Started by NEON MERCURY, July 15, 2003, 03:29:03 PM

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

WorldForgot

Quote from: Alexandro on November 20, 2019, 10:49:09 AM
Quote from: Drenk on November 19, 2019, 07:17:32 PM
You can't watch a random episode of a movie because movies aren't TV series. Then: The Return is truly cinematic.

Well, I can.

I think what Drenk means is that literally you can't watch Blue Velvet or Lost Highway, for example, episodically, they're closed loops and singular one-go runtimes.

Drenk

Yes, you can watch scenes of a movie, YouTube videos, but the episodes of The Return are stand alone entities, and that's what makes a series a series. We're just used to series being images factory with little cinematic value, and even when it's better than usual they're chained to a classic narrative form: short scenes, A and B and sometimes C stories, cliffhangers because you need to keep going forward (Netflix simply makes it flow so you keep glued to The Thing, even if, originally, you considered yourself too tired to watch anything else.)

Let's remember that Lynch pulled a weird truck to Showtime to get creative control and more episodes. It should not have happened.

A cinematic piece constructed with puzzles/episodes is an artistic form I love. It should not be as rare...
Series are dominating our world, right? And they're better. But let's not prétend that they're catching il with cinéma, which is more often, you know, cinematic. And I love Mad Men, but I wouldn't describe the show as cinema.
Actors are happy, and actors being filmed is, I think, what's saved. That's why they're praising the medium. You have to film them act.

That's a tl;dr but about what...yeah: directors should have creative control!
Ascension.

jenkins

like uj it's not a lack of interest so much as a lack of devoting myself to the time this takes. I heard about this from a writer in Vermont who's a chill person and he said he shouldn't like it so much and I'd like to imagine it's a long joke