At the Movies -- After 35 Years, The Balcony is Closed

Started by Gloria, August 20, 2010, 03:55:02 AM

Gloria

I've heard that At the Movies with Siskel and Ebert never regained it's spark after Siskel died in 1999.  Last week was the last episode of the show (which was hosted by current critics A.O. Scott and Michael Phillips).  It was a bittersweet departure, because the show had obviously run its course, but it really tried to keep the tradition of movie discussion alive.  I was too young to appreciate the Siskel and Ebert years (when they started on public television out of Chicago), but the whole idea of debating and discussing movies (no matter how bad/good) was exciting to me.  I loved watching At the Movies with Ebert and Roeper.  I even enjoyed the later years (after Ebert fell ill) when they would switch critics every week, like they were searching for the old spark that never happened.  This show was a trailblazer; it brought movie criticism and appreciation to the masses.  Rather than being a pretentious lecture on what the public should appreciate, At the Movies allowed anyone to be a critic; to enjoy movies, to defend and appreciate them, even if they were considered low-brow.  The show allowed many small/foreign films to become more recognized based on the recommendations of the hosts.   I know that there are some shows like At the Movies now, and with internet forums and youtube there are plenty of ways for people to discuss movies.  But for the young girl with the rabbit-eared-antenna above her TV, set to channel 12 on Sunday mornings, this was my way of finding movies to love.

More info and older interviews: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129161766

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Gold Trumpet

A while back, on his twitter, Ebert said there was plans to do a new version of the show with more critics involved (including him).

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I feel that debating movies is sort of weird because they're such a personal experience.

I mean, you can't spell movies without "I."
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Gloria

polkablues

I used to have fantasies about pushing Richard Roeper off a balcony.  They got me through the day.
My house, my rules, my coffee

matt35mm

Haha!  I've never dreamed of murdering Richard Roeper, but he's definitely on the list of people that I wouldn't mind if they died.

jerome

matt35mm

I was trying to figure who he sounds like, and I finally got it:

... which is a disturbing voice to hear come out of a little body.

polkablues

Stefen

I love Pruane2Forever. He's my favorite YouTube star.

His UFC reviews are the best. "He just got him on the ground and smashed the shit out of him. It was fucking awesome."
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cine

Pubrick

Quote from: cine on August 22, 2010, 03:55:13 AM
i thought Gloria was dead.

Nope. Maybe you should double check next time you murder someone. Whoever you are.
under the paving stones.