Kill Bill: Volume Two

Started by MacGuffin, September 24, 2003, 01:38:09 AM

ElPandaRoyal

I think Kill Bill Deux kicks anus (but Kill Bill is only one film anyway)
Si

Alethia

modage

okay i saw this for a third time today (twice on opening day, a few weeks to reflect, again today for final analysis).  the movie has problems.  most of mine lie in the final chapter with bill.  this film (vol. 2) is filled with scenes and dialogue that are sort of cool or funny or whatever as standalone scenes/speeches whatever, but dont belong in the film.  almost everything inside the wedding chapel, scene in budds boss's office, esteban and the whores, bills superman and fish speeches, and the pregnancy test scene.  all of which are cool scenes, but none of which should probably have been in the final film.  his editor needed to be on him alittle more about that.  i had a good time until the last chapter when things really didnt seem to ring truthfully (even in such a pretend world) to me between Bill and the Bride.  even with his intentions to turn your sympathies around, he could've done it in more dramatic/believable way that would've played better than this does.  i mean, c'mon 'showdown at the kitchen table'?  please, THIS is what we've been waiting 6 months for?  i like this movie, but i wish it were better.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cine

Are you seeing it a fourth time to rip it apart some more or have you got it all out of your system now?

brockly

Quote from: themodernage02i mean, c'mon 'showdown at the kitchen table'?  please, THIS is what we've been waiting 6 months for?

:(

El Duderino

Quote from: themodernage02bills superman and fish speeches

those were fantastic and how did the superman speech not fit in with the movie?
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

LostEraser

Quote from: SHAFTRI've thought more about Vol 2 and I really think it's Tarantino's worst work.  It's still good but I think it all unravelled in the last act.

I actually think this is Tarantino's BEST work! And the last act of the film is my favorite part of it. I've only read parts of this thread since it's so long so I'm not sure how much has been covered here. But I love how Tarantino didn't even try to top all the action that was in Vol 1. I actually wasn't too fond of Vol 1. I liked the style a lot but I just couldn't connect with it. There were too many action and fight scenes and I couldn't connect with the characters or their motivations. But in Vol 2 the characters and their motivations come into full view. And instead of more fight scenes the characters have a showdown with dialogue. And I think it's brilliant. I loved the superman and fish monologues. Some of Tarantino's best writing. And I felt very connected to both Beatrix AND Bill. In fact, more than I have with any other Tarantino character. Yes, I thought the film was that good. Every scene in it is perfect in my eyes. And there are a few scenes it that are some of my personal favorites of all time (the final shwodown between Bill and Beatrix, Beatrix escaping from being buried alive). I loved this film!

Ok, I guess that's all I can think of for now. Maybe I'll post some more ravings for this film later. Maybe after I read the whole thread. lol!
Capra tells us that, in effect, love's dreams are only dreams and that they will never quite bear translation into practical forms of relationship and expression. They will never be realized in the world but only in our consciousness and in our most daring and glorious works of art - but that, for Capra, is no reason to abandon love's dreams.
--Ray Carney, American Vision: The Films Of Frank Capra

Finn

I think it's probably his best film since Pulp Fiction as far as his screenplay was concerned.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: QuoyleI think it's probably his best film since Pulp Fiction as far as his screenplay was concerned.

Like he's made so many movies after Pulp Fiction  :wink:
Si

Alethia

i think we should all thank quentin for giving us, with both volumes together, one of the most unique experiences in cinema history.  not saying best, not saying coolest, and i side with ghostboy and his review here - but there has never been a film quite like this one.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: ewardi think we should all thank quentin for giving us, with both volumes together, one of the most unique experiences in cinema history.  not saying best, not saying coolest, and i side with ghostboy and his review here - but there has never been a film quite like this one.

I agree with the punchline, although I think it has some of the coolest things I've ever seen. Quentin is kind of a movie-jockey and he pushed it to the limit here. It could have tanked, but he knows what he does. And I seriously think that his egomaniac personality really worked well for this movie.

I hate to use these words, but I think Quentin is a genious and one of the greatest filmmakers of all time. I can understand those who might disagree, but I'm staying true to my convictions. He and the way he saved his "written and directed by" credits to the end of his films, made me really think for the first time in my life that someone wrote and directed and shot the movies that I grew up seeing. I owe it to him.
Si

modage

Quote from: El Duderino
Quote from: themodernage02bills superman and fish speeches

those were fantastic and how did the superman speech not fit in with the movie?
yeah they were great monologues, but after 3 hours and some change of waiting for uma to get to bills place to have to see her sitting there listening to these long things is awkward and not believable for her character.  perhaps had she been more greatly incapacitated, or maybe if bill had been further incapacitated, like if she had the upper hand she'd let him tell his story before she killed him.  i dont know, it just really bugs me.  it doesnt seem true to her character.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

El Duderino

i see where you're coming from and i respect your opinion, but i just dont agree with you on it.

*SPOILERS*

bill kind of explains that her life in El Paso would have been shit. like when he says "You would've worn the costume of Arlene Plimpton, but you were born Beatrix Kiddo" i dunno, i just thought that monolouge kinda made the movie for me.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

modage

yes that and fish speech really illustrate interesting points from the film, but the staging of those scenes was bad.  as they were shot, i dont think they belong.  had he found a way for it to be more believable to have her sit there and listen to all of that other than the dart in the leg they would've been fine.  i think he was so in love with these scenes he wanted to squeeze them in regardless of whether or not they actually fit and/or worked in the context of the film.

LostEraser

Quote from: ElPandaRoyalI think it has some of the coolest things I've ever seen. Quentin is kind of a movie-jockey and he pushed it to the limit here. It could have tanked, but he knows what he does. And I seriously think that his egomaniac personality really worked well for this movie.

I hate to use these words, but I think Quentin is a genious and one of the greatest filmmakers of all time. I can understand those who might disagree, but I'm staying true to my convictions. He and the way he saved his "written and directed by" credits to the end of his films, made me really think for the first time in my life that someone wrote and directed and shot the movies that I grew up seeing. I owe it to him.

I agree! I think Quentin is the ultimate film geek. Ever! Even more so than Godard. Godard seemed to have political or philosophical reasons for using his movie references. But Quentins reason for using references to other movies is simply an obsessive love for them, and I think that is much more geniune. He may not be one of my favorite filmmakers (yet) but after Kill Bill 2 he is now one of my all time heros. Just for haveing the most passionate and honest love for movies I have ever seen. I think it's very inspiring.
Capra tells us that, in effect, love's dreams are only dreams and that they will never quite bear translation into practical forms of relationship and expression. They will never be realized in the world but only in our consciousness and in our most daring and glorious works of art - but that, for Capra, is no reason to abandon love's dreams.
--Ray Carney, American Vision: The Films Of Frank Capra