Dissapointing amount of cinemas playing PDL in Aus.

Started by aurora, April 02, 2003, 07:34:58 PM

aurora

I had planned to go see Punch-Drunk Love (it was released today) at my local cinema (which is the biggest in my state) to find that its not playing there :(

Its basically only on side of the Melbourne which sucks for me.

I was hoping for a wider release damnit.

Its mostly playing only at the 'cool' cinemas like www.cinemanova.com

Its playing at alot of the major shopping centres (malls) which is cool though.

Guess I'll have to make a trip to the other side of the city

Duck Sauce

Is it supposed to expand or what? Maybe you and Pubrick could go on a date

MacGuffin

Quote from: Duck SauceMaybe you and Pubrick could go on a date

I hear P is cheap, but puts out.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: DionySuSI had planned to go see Punch-Drunk Love (it was released today) at my local cinema (which is the biggest in my state) to find that its not playing there :(
yeah i've only seen ads for it on SBS, and will prolly only play arthouse places like The Dendy. they're really pushing Anger Management tho. money is fucked up.

i heard mac mates with men, then eats them.
under the paving stones.

©brad

Quote from: DionySuSI had planned to go see Punch-Drunk Love (it was released today) at my local cinema (which is the biggest in my state) to find that its not playing there :(

Its basically only on side of the Melbourne which sucks for me.

I was hoping for a wider release damnit.

Its mostly playing only at the 'cool' cinemas like www.cinemanova.com

Its playing at alot of the major shopping centres (malls) which is cool though.

Guess I'll have to make a trip to the other side of the city

if i was u i'd bite the bullet and go see it. do it soon, before its too late.

keep forgetting you guys haven't seen it. i would assume you have been avoiding the PDL threads to avoid spoilers?

aurora

Nah I've seen it

*cough* DVD screener *cough*

But I wanna see it on the BIG SCREEN

A place in Melbourne still plays Magnolia on the big screen every few months - which is cool. I am waiting for them to play Boogie Nights

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

phil marlowe

hah! bitches. in denmark it was released in four cinemas or so.

Markyboy

It's getting a release a bit wider than I expected, critics here are loving it, but the cinemas won't make a big fuss of it.

Hoyts cinemas had a mailout which started with the synopsis "A story about an odd, spastic man....." and used a picture of Sandler in Anger Management.  :evil:

I got tickets to a preview screening which was sent on a nice full-color postcard saying "...Columbia Tristar Films invite you to preview something strangely sweet from director P.T. Anderson" ... unfortunately I couldn't go.

I thought this review on radio was spot on.

After the beautiful, sprawling excesses of Magnolia (1999), Paul Thomas Anderson's latest and fourth feature film film Punch Drunk Love is a stripped back revelation, and a very canny move by one of America's best young filmmakers. To say that Punch Drunk Love is "distinct" would be a pathetic understatement; to describe it as "totally weird" patronising; and to proclaim that it is "nothing like Anderson's previous films", just plain inane.

It's an unhinged masterpiece, that's what it is.

Magnolia saw Paul Thomas Anderson (Boogie Nights), wrangle the mega-stardom of one Tom Cruise. As the neurotic, macho self-help guru for lonely guys "Frank T.J. Macky", Anderson forced Cruise to reach deep down inside himself to pull out a gut-wrenching and real performance. In Punch Drunk Love he traverses the same dodgy territory with Adam Sandler (The Wedding Singer) although it is doubtful that Sandler had to reach down so far for Barry Egan, a character you sense he's had bubbling just under the surface of his crazy 'nice guy' movie character for years. In Punch Drunk Love Sandler completely rises to the occasion by giving an endearing and dangerous performance as Barry Egan, the novelty toilet accessory salesman and repressed social misfit. Barry pines for love and in his quest for it somehow becomes the unwitting victim of a desperate phone sex worker and her four violent freak Mormon brothers. And let's not forget her boss Dean, a very mean man, enacted brilliantly by Anderson regular Phillip Seymour Hoffman (all hail).

It takes a good twenty minutes or so before we are able to stop blinking, confused, in the darkness of the theatre and work out what the hell we're watching; a beautiful big experimental romantic comedy which convulses almost spastically from scene to scene. The visuals are stark and industrial, set once again in California's San Fernando Valley. The music is sparse, percussive and hopelessly romantic by film's end, and its actual soundtrack from the very start of the film is experimental in approach, jarring us into a state of pure anxiety as we witness Barry's off-kilter behaviour. Nothing fits for Barry (except his blue suit), until he meets and falls for Lena (Emily Watson), a woman who is way too normal for him. The almost musical Blue Hawaii ending though is most fitting for this couple, and too beautiful for words.

Suffice to say, you might never see another film like Punch Drunk Love, and I can't think of another film that it's like. It is just plain great, and the kind of movie that other filmmakers will say they'd wished they'd made.
A shiny, gold, tall, inexpensive prick.

©brad

Quote from: Markyboy
Suffice to say, you might never see another film like Punch Drunk Love, and I can't think of another film that it's like. It is just plain great, and the kind of movie that other filmmakers will say they'd wished they'd made.

yeap

Tommy Both

Thank god they 'respect the cock' in Holland, if you all know what I mean.. 'cause P-DL is having its WIDE release/opening/however the fuck u call it in a week or so...! (oh yeah baby) woo-hoo :P very happy me indeed... I am gonna check it out sssssooo many timezzzz... (but I already popped me cherry of course, so it ain't thát special...  I already seen it , & not to forget (for myself)together with PTA! woo-hoo - well . . . PTA was down there somewhere on the first row and me like 15 above that.. Rotterdam  FilmFestival Pathé screening was Tha Bomb indeed..  8) )

EDIT:

boy, did I make myself pretty proud with my lame ass photshop skillz, creating a - IMO - pretty decent avatar...!

oakmanc234

Yo tommy_both, that pic you did looks kickass. I like it.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'