Fast As You Can music video question!

Started by theyarelegion, December 05, 2009, 08:38:18 PM

theyarelegion

I remember this information was on the old c&rv website, however, my question: at the mark, how does PTA do that? I vaguely remember something about different lenses dropping in front of each other, creating the real time cuts? He also used the effect to jump cut into the "but it did happen" in Magnolia. Soderbergh uses it in as well. Anybody know/remember?

Bethie

who likes movies anyway

Tictacbk

Reinhold

do it in post with different camera setups, i say.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

matt35mm

One could do that, but in this instance I think it takes away the charm of it.  Plus, a subway train is going by at that moment, and to attempt to sync that while doing multiple camera setups seems to be more trouble than it's worth.  If you're shooting on film, why not just rotate the lenses?  If shooting digital, you'd pretty much have to do multiple setups, because I don't know if that sort of lens rotater exists for digital cameras, unless you built one.

The effect basically reminds me of using a microscope and rotating the lenses to view it closer and closer.

Also, that point in the video has more of a "hey let's just fuck around with the camera" vibe, which would be destroyed at the merest hint of it being done in multiple takes and put together in post.  Very different kind of energy.