DAT to Minidisc

Started by kotte, March 13, 2004, 05:14:23 AM

kotte

If you transfer sound from DAT to minidisc, is there a loss of quality?

From DAT to computer, loss in quality?

mogwai

why do you want to transfer a dat tape to a minidisc?

kotte

Quote from: mogwaiwhy do you want to transfer a dat tape to a minidisc?

You're right, why would I?? :) Have no clue

Skip that, and answere the second question instead...

mogwai

Quote from: kotteFrom DAT to computer, loss in quality?
i guess it makes no difference. i think it's like ripping a cd to computer.

Ghostboy

Yeah, just make sure you're inputting at the right frequencyt  and all. I always transfer my DATS to a computer for editing and never have any trouble.

kotte

kotte

What should think about when I transfer a DAT tape to a computer? Frequencies, speed etc etc...

I'm quiet unlearned when it comes to sound...

Ghostboy

Quote from: kotte

I'm quiet unlearned when it comes to sound...

I'm probably even more so, which is why I usually have someone do it for me when I need it done. But I do know that you need to make your files 48 khz.

Jeremy Blackman

And whatever you do (if you have a choice), don't compress the audio.

Unless it's AAC compression.

kotte

okay, thanks...

and what is the appropriate sound level (db etc)? I wanna avoid distortion.

SoNowThen

Yeah, I've always wondered this too: if you fiddle with the volume knob on a dat (or the headphone monitor knob for that matter) while you're capturing to computer, does it change the volume? Or is it all about the input setting on the comp itself?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: kotteokay, thanks...

and what is the appropriate sound level (db etc)? I wanna avoid distortion.
If you want to avoid distortion, don't raise the db level. Since it's usually loud enough (or too loud) with DV, I'm guessing this would be similar. But db is subjective depending on the music you're using or the sound you've captured, so you can't really make everything the same db level (as far as I know)...

kotte

kotte

The sound level has three colors, green, yellow and red...if the bar or whatever it is hits the red that's obviously a bad thing but if it hits yellow, am I running a risk of distortion then?

EDIT: Bitrate? 16 bits? 32?

Outpatient_Cowboy

I'd go 32 if your computer can handle it, a higher sample rate is always going to be better- plus you can downgrade if you need to later.
As far as the bar issue, dont even let the yellow slide, I did and now I'm sorry, my drives crashed on the weekend, all I had was a DV copy of this project, go to re-capture but the sound levels were too high on the tape and FCP bitched out about validating the audio data, had to import just the video off the tape and re-cut my sound. Dont be a dink like me, always mix it down.
Are you editing on Avid?
If so I've had the best luck with going between -12 and -20 db for sound altogether. Seems to do the trick.
"...like nailing Jello to a tree"