What are you favorite Top 5 Movies of all time?

Started by Thecowgoooesmooo, January 23, 2003, 05:03:10 PM

SoNowThen

1. Magnolia
2. Taxi Driver
3. 8 1/2
4. My Life To Live
5. Raging Bull

But once I watch All The Real Girls a few more times, it will be on there.

And I must mention Reservoir Dogs, Glengarry Glen Ross, and Ghostbusters -- films that made me wanna be a filmmaker before I knew too much about the game. There'll all on my top 20.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SoNowThen

aaarghhh.... but I can't make a list and not put A Clockwork Orange on it. Top 5 must die. I need at least 25.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Holden Pike

"Hold it there, Kitty-Cat."

Chinatown[/b][/color][/size] (1974)

Lawrence of Arabia[/b][/color][/size] (1962)

Dr. Strangelove[/b][/color][/size] or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb[/b] (1964)

BladeRunner[/b][/color][/size] (1982)

Casablanca[/b][/color][/size] (1942)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream, it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film."
- Frank Capra

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenaaarghhh.... but I can't make a list and not put A Clockwork Orange on it. Top 5 must die. I need at least 25.

I wholeheartedly second that.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Derek237

1. Bringing Out The Dead

2. Wonder Boys

3. Goodfellas

4. Talk Radio

5. Leaving Las Vegas

my top 40 can be found on my sig @YMDB

ChrisBrasco

1. Godfather Part 2
2. Memento
3. Reservoir Dogs
4. The Professional
5. Goodfellas

The Silver Bullet

I have a new list. Again.

01. Lawrence Of Arabia [1962 | David Lean]
02. Magnolia [1999 | Paul Thomas Anderson]
03. Pulp Fiction [1994 | Quentin Tarantino]
04. The Seven Samurai [1954 | Akira Kurosawa]
05. Chinatown [1974 | Roman Polanski]
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Ernie

Quote from: SoNowThen
But once I watch All The Real Girls a few more times, it will be on there

We have a very similar taste. Seriously, I'm finally going to commit to seeing 8 and a half after procrastinating for such a long time just because you like it. I have seen and LOVE the 4 other movies on your top 5.

Ernie

Quote from: ChrisBrasco1. Godfather Part 2
2. Memento
3. Reservoir Dogs
4. The Professional
5. Goodfellas

This reminds me of one of those "which one doesn't belong" questions from 2nd and 3rd grade...you know, where they'd have three or four things that were similar in some way and one that wasn't...you'd have to choose the one that didn't fit. Yeah, this would make a great one of those.

Pedro

Quote from: ebeaman
Quote from: ChrisBrasco1. Godfather Part 2
2. Memento
3. Reservoir Dogs
4. The Professional
5. Goodfellas

This reminds me of one of those "which one doesn't belong" questions from 2nd and 3rd grade...you know, where they'd have three or four things that were similar in some way and one that wasn't...you'd have to choose the one that didn't fit. Yeah, this would make a great one of those.
Clever...and humorous.  You're a funny guy.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Derek2371. Goodfellas

2. Wonder Boys

3. Bringing Out The Dead

4. Vanilla Sky

5. Pulp Fiction

my top 20 can be found on my sig @YMDB

Why no movies before 1971?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

The reason I had to put 2001 as my sixties choice is because I could not, could NOT choose between My Life to Live and Persona. I couldn't have one of those without the other. I didn't want to defy the top 5 rule too flagrantly. I wanted to limit it to one per decade. Do I think 2001 is as good a movie as My Life to Live or Persona? Well... I don't know. I just know I could not, could NOT choose between those two.

Now I know how King Solomon felt...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

The Silver Bullet

QuoteNow I know how King Solomon felt...
Gassy? Did he feel gassy? Gas? Was it gas? It was gas, wasn't it?
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

godardian

Quote from: The Silver Bullet
QuoteNow I know how King Solomon felt...
Gassy? Did he feel gassy? Gas? Was it gas? It was gas, wasn't it?

Yes, Homer. It was gas.

modage

the empire strikes back
aliens
its a wonderful life
rushmore
magnolia

its so terrible.  i hate trying to narrow down to 5 or 10 or 20 because i can try to guess at what i think it is but really trying to know which movies i love more is just such an excruciating task.  can you like the big lebowski more than et?  or big trouble in little china more than almost famous?  or 2001 better than goodfellas?  i cant.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.